• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice iPhone13 for vlogging?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
People who have spent money on iPhones have more than enough tech power to do most types of video. The camera and video quality of iPhones are very good. However, all phones need and external microphone for good audio.

I don't have an iPhone because I can't bring myself to spend nearly $1,000 on a phone despite the fact it has superior camera & video qualities.

But since you have one, I would go use it unless you want to spend even more money on DSLR cameras and all that it entails.

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd say yes it would be good, but as Matt mentioned, you need a good mic for it. You also don't even need the latest and greatest. A lot of the iPhones can be set to record in 4K which the quality is very good. I'm busy working with some footage recorded solely on an iPhone 12 Pro using the Rode VideoMic Me-L. The audio came out surprisingly good, even in outdoor conditions.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Not when I can buy a proper cinema camera for $800. Z-cam E2C.

Wow, that's an impressive camera and looks pretty small considering what it does. I may just have to bookmark that one for a future consideration. I got myself a Canon M50 as an improvement over my Logitech C920 webcam but soon after realized something I didn't know was a thing with these kinds of cameras. They often have a 30 minute limit on video recording as a standalone which is why I got it. Total bummer. Totally killed my point for buying it. I do have a Google Pixel 4a which has one of the best cameras on a smartphone and cost me less than $400. I can always use that in the meantime.

Reactions: Damon

bectries_food

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's a good idea, but definitely consider getting an external microphone. I recommend something like Rode's VideoMic range

digipresence

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Any iPhone, even now the new one is amazing for video making. Many great vlogers use iphone for making great videos. With each upgrade the iphone gets more powerful for making videos.