• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Voice-over Pre-Recorded Content

MagicFlyinPotato

Gaming Channel here and 99% of my videos I commentate while playing and recording. The past few weeks I am wanting to add a new style for when I talk about upcoming updates. I pre-recorded some game footage and I want to go back and do voice-over talking about the update coming.

What is the best strategy for doing this? I have a page of notes and I sound like I am reading from the page and I hate that sound.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Gaming Channel here and 99% of my videos I commentate while playing and recording. The past few weeks I am wanting to add a new style for when I talk about upcoming updates. I pre-recorded some game footage and I want to go back and do voice-over talking about the update coming.

What is the best strategy for doing this? I have a page of notes and I sound like I am reading from the page and I hate that sound.

You aren't the only person struggling with this. I think many people do. I vacillate between reading a loose script vs. going off an outline. One thing that has sometimes worked is reading out loud what you wrote. If it sound unnatural, rewrite the script so the words sound more natural. Despite this, sometimes, I will "on the fly" go "offscript" and say what I feel in the moment because it is more natural.

One thing I am trying is to gradually take myself off-camera because I still stiffen up a lot when I have to look straight into the camera and talk. But I push forward regardless.

Reactions: MagicFlyinPotato
OP
OP
MagicFlyinPotato

MagicFlyinPotato

You aren't the only person struggling with this. I think many people do. I vacillate between reading a loose script vs. going off an outline. One thing that has sometimes worked is reading out loud what you wrote. If it sound unnatural, rewrite the script so the words sound more natural. Despite this, sometimes, I will "on the fly" go "offscript" and say what I feel in the moment because it is more natural.

One thing I am trying is to gradually take myself off-camera because I still stiffen up a lot when I have to look straight into the camera and talk. But I push forward regardless.
I do so much better unscripted and doing "on the fly" speaking. Guess because that is what comes naturally when recording and speaking while making most of my videos. I am not on cam so that is definitely one less worry I have, although I have done it for a while and used to always forget to look at the cam....UGH!

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I do mostly voice overs on my vids. I never script, since I am not reading I hope I do not sound like I am. I make a loose outline, while filming (an unwritten outline). Then I refine it during editing (still unwritten). When I do the voice over I know about what I want to say but am winging it.

If there are facts & specific details I want to include I will make a txt file with just the bullet points, so I get the exact information right. Instead of reading it while filming, I will read it to myself, then turn to the camera and say it. I may do multiple takes until I feel it sounds 'normal' enough. I edit out the pauses of me checking my notes. Works for me.

• Love
Reactions: MagicFlyinPotato
OP
OP
MagicFlyinPotato

MagicFlyinPotato

I do mostly voice overs on my vids. I never script, since I am not reading I hope I do not sound like I am. I make a loose outline, while filming (an unwritten outline). Then I refine it during editing (still unwritten). When I do the voice over I know about what I want to say but am winging it.

If there are facts & specific details I want to include I will make a txt file with just the bullet points, so I get the exact information right. Instead of reading it while filming, I will read it to myself, then turn to the camera and say it. I may do multiple takes until I feel it sounds 'normal' enough. I edit out the pauses of me checking my notes. Works for me.
That is what I really need to start doing myself. I do take notes on what I want to talk about but I think I need to put them into an outline format.
I just starting trying this new style as a few games I cover are "Hinting" or talking about upcoming updates so I am covering them over gameplay I recorded early.

Thanks for the tips and help :)