• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Gaming Youtube Question: Copyright Claim for official Video Game trailer?

Gaming_input

Subscriber Goal
Many times now, when we've posted a video showing a trailer for a Bandai Namco title, we get a copyright claim from them immediately. The claim seems to be focused on their anime titles (Naruto, One Piece, Dragonball, etc...). When we've tried to dispute it, it takes forever and haven't heard anything for over a month. We've seen other monetized Youtube videos on other channel with this same trailer footage with seemingly no issue. We've also edited our footage (shrunk it, added a border, and have our faces in it) as well as added commentary to the footage and haven't used the original audio. Sadly, that didn't work. We were wondering if this is a common issue with this publisher in particular, or if there is some step or workaround we are missing. Any help or context is greatly appreciated, Thank You!

OP
OP
Gaming_input

Gaming_input

Subscriber Goal
Anytime you are using someone else's content, you're at risk of copyright claims.

I definitely agree, but many many channels used the same public trailers without any issues. It's almost like it's a bug in the automated youtube algorithm that detects Bandai's materials and flag it.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It's their content, their rules. You do not get free-reign to re-post someone else's work. What happens on other's channels doesn't really mean anything, you know? It's not like you can go tell on them. As the copyright owner it is their decision who they want to claim.

Considering the nature of what you do I would ask... have you looked up their rules for posting videos? I guarantee they have them.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I recently decided to test the waters of using copyright content under the legitimate premise of "fair use". I was trying to share highlights of a recent 9-minute orchestral musical performance out of a 4-hour video. I tested it by uploading different variations to see what would trigger the Content ID system. I found that I was able to incorporate 20-second clips without triggering the Content ID system. Again, my purpose was to comment and highlight the original work which is allowed under "fair use". So far, for that particular scenario, sticking to 20-seconds and less, seemed to be acceptable to the Content ID system.

Next time, I may try and experiment with 25-second clips and see if it triggers the Content ID system.

Many Youtubers successfully use copyrighted content under "fair use" purposes but it can be tricky to the uninitiated. It is not something I want to engage in too often because of the time suck and stress that comes with it.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Gaming_input

Gaming_input

Subscriber Goal
Thank you guys, we are also using the content for "fair use". We basically review the game (the cons and pros) and discuss a good pricing point for it. We do the same process in all our videos on other games without any issue. It's just Bandai Namco been a pain for our purpose.

OP
OP
Gaming_input

Gaming_input

Subscriber Goal
I recently decided to test the waters of using copyright content under the legitimate premise of "fair use". I was trying to share highlights of a recent 9-minute orchestral musical performance out of a 4-hour video. I tested it by uploading different variations to see what would trigger the Content ID system. I found that I was able to incorporate 20-second clips without triggering the Content ID system. Again, my purpose was to comment and highlight the original work which is allowed under "fair use". So far, for that particular scenario, sticking to 20-seconds and less, seemed to be acceptable to the Content ID system.

Next time, I may try and experiment with 25-second clips and see if it triggers the Content ID system.

Many Youtubers successfully use copyrighted content under "fair use" purposes but it can be tricky to the uninitiated. It is not something I want to engage in too often because of the time suck and stress that comes with it.

Nice please update us