• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Keyword research

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi all,

i'm having a hard time finding good or very good or excellent keywords. Using tubebuddy, most of the terms i keyed in, it shows that there is either a lot of competition or low search volume.
How do you guys find good keywords for videos? For a very small channel like mine, which has like 1-10 views per video, competing against bigger channels most likely wouldn't cut it.
Advice greatly appreciated!

Rexcelyn Ortega

Hello lalabz
Hi all,

i'm having a hard time finding good or very good or excellent keywords. Using tubebuddy, most of the terms i keyed in, it shows that there is either a lot of competition or low search volume.
How do you guys find good keywords for videos? For a very small channel like mine, which has like 1-10 views per video, competing against bigger channels most likely wouldn't cut it.
Advice greatly appreciated!
Hello hello

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Okay the biggest thing to remember is that it's a marathon not a sprint and and your going to have to just continue with your content. When it come to the keywords I noticed that you've gone for some really long keywords. The thing you have to ask yourself is "Is my audience going to be doing those extremely long keywords?" from that you should also have a look at similar channels and see what they do for their keywords and from that you'll get an idea of what they do.

So the main thing is with keyword research is look at what other people are doing and get an idea and build on that. Then also thinking what your viewer will be searching for and using similar keywords etc.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Eric Kua

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Okay the biggest thing to remember is that it's a marathon not a sprint and and your going to have to just continue with your content. When it come to the keywords I noticed that you've gone for some really long keywords. The thing you have to ask yourself is "Is my audience going to be doing those extremely long keywords?" from that you should also have a look at similar channels and see what they do for their keywords and from that you'll get an idea of what they do.

So the main thing is with keyword research is look at what other people are doing and get an idea and build on that. Then also thinking what your viewer will be searching for and using similar keywords etc.

Actually i took the keywords from other similar channels from the popular uploads section...

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is the hard part by far. You are looking for that needle in the haystack. I typically do a search on YouTube and Google to see what other people are typing, what other variations of my phrase are being used etc. Almost every time I do this I get flushed down a new rabbit-hole of keywords to research and this typically gives me the answers I am looking for.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Eric Kua

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is the hard part by far. You are looking for that needle in the haystack. I typically do a search on YouTube and Google to see what other people are typing, what other variations of my phrase are being used etc. Almost every time I do this I get flushed down a new rabbit-hole of keywords to research and this typically gives me the answers I am looking for.

you mean type in the keywords to see what YT and Google AI suggest?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
you mean type in the keywords to see what YT and Google AI suggest?
Yes... but also when you do a search the results you get back are not going to be word for word what you typed. See what other variations of your keyword phrase people are utilizing (or not utilizing).

OP
OP
Eric Kua

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Btw, why does the subscribe button disappear when i post in other threads?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Derral Eves and his successful students believe that spending too much time on keywords is not helpful to growing a true community. Keywords help but they are not the end all, be all. He says people should be writing titles that humans like and appreciate, not do keyword stuffing. I have been very guilty of this with my current and prior channels. Old habits die hard, so I am going back to redo my titles and thumbnails because I realized I have been a bit too focused on keywords also. Tagging is a safe place to put in all kinds of keywords but the prime real estate is the title first, then the description.

There is a Youtuber who finally convinced me (by her own examples on her Youtube channel) that Derral is correct. You want to draw and keep people based on catchy (not clickbait) titles and thumbnails. I have a lot of improvements I need to make. But trying to put so much effort into keywords (according to Derral and others who follow his philosophy) is the short-game.

It doesn't mean to TOTALLY IGNORE it but for many people, it needs to be tempered back.

Reactions: SteveXNYC
OP
OP
Eric Kua

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Derral Eves and his successful students believe that spending too much time on keywords is not helpful to growing a true community. Keywords help but they are not the end all, be all. He says people should be writing titles that humans like and appreciate, not do keyword stuffing. I have been very guilty of this with my current and prior channels. Old habits die hard, so I am going back to redo my titles and thumbnails because I realized I have been a bit too focused on keywords also. Tagging is a safe place to put in all kinds of keywords but the prime real estate is the title first, then the description.

There is a Youtuber who finally convinced me (by her own examples on her Youtube channel) that Derral is correct. You want to draw and keep people based on catchy (not clickbait) titles and thumbnails. I have a lot of improvements I need to make. But trying to put so much effort into keywords (according to Derral and others who follow his philosophy) is the short-game.

It doesn't mean to TOTALLY IGNORE it but for many people, it needs to be tempered back.

keywords are needed for SEO to work, if titles and thumbnails are catchy but they don't show up in impressions, still wouldn't get views would it?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
keywords are needed for SEO to work, if titles and thumbnails are catchy but they don't show up in impressions, still wouldn't get views would it?

Your original post says this:

First, I recommend the book "YouTube Formula" by Derral Eves. It changed my view of many things including the intense focus on SEO and keywords. In fact, I believe TB is attending/sponsoring Vidsummit which is owned by Derral Eves.

SEO and keywords can lead to discovery of your channel but you also have to keep the viewers long enough for them to become subscribers.

Derral's book gives a good explanation of what all Youtubers should be seeking, a loyal viewers. Loyal viewers may initially be attracted to SEO content but they may not stay long term. So, if you write a Title and description that is full of SEO keyword friendly terms that also reads and sounds unnatural, those viewers may not "stick". They take the info and run.

I am not saying to ignore the keywords. But if you want a simple answer, go after the niche keywords you can dominate before tackling the highly competitive phrases. But you can also try both and monitor your results.

It has been said by others (which I tend to believe and practice) that smaller channels should focus on niche terms, phrases, keywords. Then when you get traction, you can expand outwards. However, you can go after both when writing descriptions and in the tag section. However, the Title is where you have to really choose because of limited space. You have an abundance of space in the Tags section and Description section.

OP
OP
Eric Kua

Eric Kua

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Your original post says this:

First, I recommend the book "YouTube Formula" by Derral Eves. It changed my view of many things including the intense focus on SEO and keywords. In fact, I believe TB is attending/sponsoring Vidsummit which is owned by Derral Eves.

SEO and keywords can lead to discovery of your channel but you also have to keep the viewers long enough for them to become subscribers.

Derral's book gives a good explanation of what all Youtubers should be seeking, a loyal viewers. Loyal viewers may initially be attracted to SEO content but they may not stay long term. So, if you write a Title and description that is full of SEO keyword friendly terms that also reads and sounds unnatural, those viewers may not "stick". They take the info and run.

I am not saying to ignore the keywords. But if you want a simple answer, go after the niche keywords you can dominate before tackling the highly competitive phrases. But you can also try both and monitor your results.

It has been said by others (which I tend to believe and practice) that smaller channels should focus on niche terms, phrases, keywords. Then when you get traction, you can expand outwards. However, you can go after both when writing descriptions and in the tag section. However, the Title is where you have to really choose because of limited space. You have an abundance of space in the Tags section and Description section.

Thank you, i will take note, particularly in the title.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I don't see keywords working. I am seeing videos with no keywords are getting higher views than video with many keywords and #. I think too many keywords are confusing the algorithm.
The first question you must ask with a video that has no keywords is how many subs does that person have cause there comes a point when you've got hundreds of thousands or millions when just you putting out a video will get views. Also how can a computer algorithm get confused with data I'd be interested in here your reasoning.
TubeBuddy have done a brilliant video on Keywords just recently and there purpose.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPxK47Izv8

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The first question you must ask with a video that has no keywords is how many subs does that person have cause there comes a point when you've got hundreds of thousands or millions when just you putting out a video will get views.

Absolutely correct. The general idea from really successful YTubers is they reach enough critical mass that they have built-in followers and a fanbase to carry them. They transform themselves into an online personality, expert, thought leader, entertainer, etc. I myself subscribe to certain channels and continue to watch them no matter their titles and descriptions because I just like them and their channel.

Derral Eves has said he believes that YT also analyzes the content itself, not just the titles, description, hashtags, and tags. They do it through its transcription technology. YT can tell what the content is all about and even detect profanity. Anecdotally, it seems to be true.

This is why some people who just rely on spamming their titles, descriptions, tags, etc. but NOT have relevant content that matches don't get traction.

You can't just post a video with near-empty content to perform well even if you write a great title, description, tags, thumbnails, etc.

The content, quality, style, and presentation of the video all have an impact.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I don't think there is one person on This forum that can thank you for the success base on any information you have provide them. If so, I would like to see that channel.

No one has to provide you anything. And I am not asking for any thanks. No single post is going to magically transform someone's channel. If that was the case, then NO ONE would be posting.

I voluntarily contribute and offer my anecdotal views but also those I have researched and seen first-hand. You can totally disregard what I say because my posts are not just for you. I write posts knowing that many people may read.

I already gave you an expert's name to follow-up. His name is Derral Eves. Go get this book or look up his YT channel. And NO, he does not post here on the forums. However, I believe nearly everyone who works for TB recognizes who Derral Eves is.

• Haha
Reactions: SteveXNYC