• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question YouTube short.

Venture

TubeBuddy Pro
www.aavehypes.com
Subscriber Goal
Are YouTube shorts really worth paying. Are they able to monitize? I have been wondering about this for about a week now and I guess experts here can cooperate with me.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Shorts have value... but money isn't really where their value stems from. They are great for exposure; Shorts videos have a tendency of blowing up a lot of views in a very short amount of time. But you have to take into consideration that this viewership is actively looking for Shorts content, so if that content does not align with your regular videos that disconnect can be a problem for your audience (or this Shorts audience).

Long story short (pardon the pun!): If handled well they can be good for exposure, but don't expect them to bring any additional sources of revenue to the table for you.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Adding to Stanley's statement, it is my understanding that Youtube Shorts do not contribute to the 4,000 hours for monetization at this time. I've also heard from several experienced Youtubers that Youtube Shorts can mess with the Youtube algorithm in a negative manner. Having said that, there are also many experienced Youtubers experimenting with Youtube Shorts.

Because I am still trying to ramp up to 4,000 hours, I want every video to count towards that. Youtube is still experimenting with Youtube Shorts.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Adding to Stanley's statement, it is my understanding that Youtube Shorts do not contribute to the 4,000 hours for monetization at this time. I've also heard from several experienced Youtubers that Youtube Shorts can mess with the Youtube algorithm in a negative manner. Having said that, there are also many experienced Youtubers experimenting with Youtube Shorts.

Because I am still trying to ramp up to 4,000 hours, I want every video to count towards that. Youtube is still experimenting with Youtube Shorts.
That is correct; Shorts do not contribute towards your 4k hours. They don't really affect the 'algorithm' though. YouTube knows the difference and the effect a Shorts video (or a livestream) can have in a short amount of time. What does happen however is that if you get a Shorts video with a day or two of totally explosive views it is totally going to ruin your performance graphs in YouTube Studio. That spike is going to swamp your graph and make your graph flatline.

This is what my views graph looks like for 2020 as a result of one Shorts video:
1632154100668.png

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I used sloppy phrasing when I said "mess with the Youtube algorithm". Yes, the YT algorithm is still intact. But supposedly, if you have outlier Shorts when you have primarily long-form content the new people coming in, may not be a good fit. But I think that may have a lot to do with how "different" the Shorts are vs. the regular videos.

But there are many videos currently debating the pros and cons of incorporating shorts. It is worth listening to. For me, I got enough to deal with as it is without dealing with the uncertainty of Shorts.