• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips So, Why Is Sub4Subs Wrong? IΓÇÖll Tell You

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm gonna be blunt, straightforward. You donΓÇÖt own YouTube. YouΓÇÖre using their platform for free and even with a cheap, used smartphone and wifi from McDonalds you can record yourself on the phone, edit the video with a free editor, download free music for your video, upload the video to your free Youtube account and if you manage to get 1000 subs and 4000 hours of view time you can be invited to join the Youtube Partner Program and then get a ton of views on your videos and get YouTube to send you a nice check for your work. ItΓÇÖs possible and there are plenty of YouTubers out there that can show you how they did it if you search for it.

So then, whatΓÇÖs the big deal with sub4subs in order to accomplish this whether you use a cheap, used smartphone and free software or spend $5K on a whole setup? Simple, YouTube said itΓÇÖs against their rules. And since you donΓÇÖt own Youtube and arenΓÇÖt paying to use it and you agreed to their ToS when you created your account, you canΓÇÖt do it without facing consequences when caught. It really is that simple.

But IΓÇÖll take it one step further. If you did own YouTube you wouldnΓÇÖt have to do it. You wouldnΓÇÖt need to sub4sub because you are already making money from everyone else using YouTube. But as a business owner you wouldnΓÇÖt like the idea of others cheating you out of your hard-earned money, would you? And thatΓÇÖs exactly what sub4subs is. A system of cheating YouTube out of money by circumventing the process that is used to pay content creators on the platform.

ItΓÇÖs the equivalent of being in a race and having some of the racers using illegal shortcuts to get ahead and win the big prize. It doesnΓÇÖt prove they are the best racers thus they donΓÇÖt deserve the rewards.

In this case, cheating to get monetized is basically stealing from YouTube. But why did YouTube decide to make it difficult to get monetized in the first place? Seems unfair, right? Again, simple. ItΓÇÖs YouTubeΓÇÖs platform and they can do whatever they want. If you donΓÇÖt like it, find somewhere else to share your content. Or you can think like a business owner and realize your goal is to make money thus you will make rules that will help you make money. Making it easy for others to make money is, obviously, not a good business model when the money they are making is your money and youΓÇÖre not the one making it. Your business is not a charity unless that was your goal.

Your goal as a business owner is to maximize your profits. ThatΓÇÖs why the likes of Jeff Bezos make billions while his employees make $10 to $15 an hour on average. YouTubeΓÇÖs goal is to make money. One of the ways they make money is getting content creators to create content on their platform. One way to do that is to offer them a free platform they can use. To maximize their profits YouTube created the YouTube Partner Program (YTPP) that allows content creators to get paid for the content. But itΓÇÖs not as simple as just creating content and getting paid.

To make money off the YTPP you first have to qualify for the program. That requires 1000 subs and 4000 hours of view time all within 12 months. Once Youtube decides to offer your membership you then need to make good content, lots of good content and get lots of views. The more views you get the more money you both make. But it will take a lot of views to get any significant pay from Youtube. If you watch enough Youtubers who are popular you should know they donΓÇÖt just get paid from Youtube. They also have sponsors, memberships, donations, Patreons and merch. In essence, Youtube can pay you some nice dough, but itΓÇÖs not the kind of money you may think. These Youtubers make most of their money from outside sources like those I mentioned.

So, why are sub4subs wrong? Because youΓÇÖre cheating your way into monetization for starters and second just because you manage to get in doesnΓÇÖt mean you make money because the point of becoming a member of the YTPP by creating good content is so that you can keep making more good content that will translate into more views so that both you and YouTube can make money. That's the whole point.

Sub4subs will only get you in. But it wonΓÇÖt make you any money because subs donΓÇÖt translate into views. You need only to look at your videos to realize you tend to get way more views than you have subs. And views are where the money is at. But if you canΓÇÖt even get enough views and subs to become a member of the YTPP then how the hell do you expect to make any money if you managed to get in by cheating?

So… Sub4subs is cheating. Stop cheating. You don’t own YouTube thus you don’t have the right to cheat them out of their money and content creators who are not cheating. You don’t like the rules? Go somewhere else. If you were the one making the money, you wouldn’t want to be cheated out of it either.

Last edited:

Bertha Mukodzani

TubeBuddy User
IΓÇÖm gonna be blunt, straightforward. You donΓÇÖt own YouTube. YouΓÇÖre using their platform for free and even with a cheap, used smartphone and wifi from McDonalds you can record yourself on the phone, edit the video with a free editor, download free music for your video, upload the video to your free Youtube account and if you manage to get 1000 subs and 4000 hours of view time you can be invited to join the Youtube Partner Program and then get a ton of views on your videos and get YouTube to send you a nice check for your work. ItΓÇÖs possible and there are plenty of YouTubers out there that can show you how they did it if you search for it.

So then, whatΓÇÖs the big deal with sub4subs in order to accomplish this whether you use a cheap, used smartphone and free software or spend $5K on a whole setup? Simple, YouTube said itΓÇÖs against their rules. And since you donΓÇÖt own Youtube and arenΓÇÖt paying to use it and you agreed to their ToS when you created your account, you canΓÇÖt do it without facing consequences when caught. It really is that simple.

But IΓÇÖll take it one step further. If you did own YouTube you wouldnΓÇÖt have to do it. You wouldnΓÇÖt need to sub4sub because you are already making money from everyone else using YouTube. But as a business owner you wouldnΓÇÖt like the idea of others cheating you out of your hard-earned money, would you? And thatΓÇÖs exactly what sub4subs is. A system of cheating YouTube out of money by circumventing the process that is used to pay content creators on the platform.

ItΓÇÖs the equivalent of being in a race and having some of the racers using illegal shortcuts to get ahead and win the big prize. It doesnΓÇÖt prove they are the best racers thus they donΓÇÖt deserve the rewards.

In this case, cheating to get monetized is basically stealing from YouTube. But why did YouTube decide to make it difficult to get monetized in the first place? Seems unfair, right? Again, simple. ItΓÇÖs YouTubeΓÇÖs platform and they can do whatever they want. If you donΓÇÖt like it, find somewhere else to share your content. Or you can think like a business owner and realize your goal is to make money thus you will make rules that will help you make money. Making it easy for others to make money is, obviously, not a good business model when the money they are making is your money and youΓÇÖre not the one making it. Your business is not a charity unless that was your goal.

Your goal as a business owner is to maximize your profits. ThatΓÇÖs why the likes of Jeff Bezos make billions while his employees make $10 to $15 an hour on average. YouTubeΓÇÖs goal is to make money. One of the ways they make money is getting content creators to create content on their platform. One way to do that is to offer them a free platform they can use. To maximize their profits YouTube created the YouTube Partner Program (YTPP) that allows content creators to get paid for the content. But itΓÇÖs not as simple as just creating content and getting paid.

To make money off the YTPP you first have to qualify for the program. That requires 1000 subs and 4000 hours of view time all within 12 months. Once Youtube decides to offer your membership you then need to make good content, lots of good content and get lots of views. The more views you get the more money you both make. But it will take a lot of views to get any significant pay from Youtube. If you watch enough Youtubers who are popular you should know they donΓÇÖt just get paid from Youtube. They also have sponsors, memberships, donations, Patreons and merch. In essence, Youtube can pay you some nice dough, but itΓÇÖs not the kind of money you may think. These Youtubers make most of their money from outside sources like those I mentioned.

So, why are sub4subs wrong? Because youΓÇÖre cheating your way into monetization for starters and second just because you manage to get in doesnΓÇÖt mean you make money because the point of becoming a member of the YTPP by creating good content is so that you can keep making more good content that will translate into more views so that both you and YouTube can make money. That's the whole point.

Sub4subs will only get you in. But it wonΓÇÖt make you any money because subs donΓÇÖt translate into views. You need only to look at your videos to realize you tend to get way more views than you have subs. And views are where the money is at. But if you canΓÇÖt even get enough views and subs to become a member of the YTPP then how the hell do you expect to make any money if you managed to get in by cheating?

So… Sub4subs is cheating. Stop cheating. You don’t own YouTube thus you don’t have the right to cheat them out of their money and content creators who are not cheating. You don’t like the rules? Go somewhere else. If you were the one making the money, you wouldn’t want to be cheated out of it either.
Well said

AcidBomb

Who cares, it doesn't effect you. Only reason you care is because you feel special you made a little club. Sorry to break it to you, the numbers of subs/views/likes doesnt make you special. Stop worrying about others and focus on yourself and maybe you will be happy one day.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
On a more fundamental level, sub4sub is simply not a sustainable business model. People fundamentally have to be interested in you and/or your content. My subscriber numbers are currently low but they are growing as are my views. I take peace that those were "earned". I didn't have to bribe anyone to subscribe or watch my videos. Interested people are doing it by themselves thanks to the Youtube algorithm.

Even if people were successful in hoodwinking YT by doing sub4sub, it is really just a house of cards that is simply unsustainable. I think people who engage in sub4sub get what is coming to them. It is the dumb subscribing to other dumb people.

GCPI

youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

Hello, I agree. Besides, subs for subs does not truly grow your channel anyways. Most unsubscribe before too long. Plus, growing organically brings you better viewers!

Reactions: Local Sunset Videos

Amanda Summers

Known Member
I didn't sub4sub but when I'd go out shooting I'd give people in Nepal my card and say, 'like and subscribe.' Nepalese people are really kind and would subscribe. But my channel is for tourists visiting Nepal, not the local people. They know how to manage the healthcare system, use a squat toilet and what to order for lunch. They quickly click off because it just isn't for them and they never watch. It's hard to climb out of that hole. I finally put a bold callout on the thumbnails that says, 'Tips for Travelers.' I've taught the algorithm who to show the videos to and now it's suffering. So, if a gamer kid subscribes to your cooking channel the algorithm will show it to more kids whose mothers would be more interested in your channel. Kids won't click on it, so the bot thinks your video isn't good. It's cyclical.

VideoChannelIdeas

The rules about sub4sub don't really matter. More important is the strategy is a horrible one that will not do your channel any good. All you are doing is collecting a bunch of dead subscribers that won't watch your videos.

Reactions: Amanda Summers

ScarTV

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Great explanation. Sub4Sub might bring you 1,000 subs and help you with half of the requirements to get into the Partner Program, but they won't correlate to views/watch time so you're still stuck.

Similarly, Like4Like / Comment4Comment / View4View doesn't work either. You'll get false feedback on your content. I'm all for reminding people in your videos with the usual "remember to like, comment, and subscribe" statement, but looking for handouts won't get you where you want to be.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I agree, and the truth is that it won't get you anywhere. You could have thousands and thousands of subscribers, but if none of them actually care about your videos and watch them. Then it means nothing.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Honestly, it is not that hard to get 1,000 subs on YouTube organically. I got 1000 subs on my first channel without even trying. People that do Sub4Sub are generally teenagers that do not understand the system and how it works. 1,000 subs do not even get you in the door either. The real difficulty is to get 4,000 hours of watch time. You can have a million subs, but if they are fake subs and nobody is watching your videos, you still cannot qualify. Additionally, if you have a million subs but no views and especially no retention, even if you could qualify, you still would make no money.

It does not matter if sub4sub is right or wrong. Sub4sub is simply stupid. It accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Rather than ask for people to exchange subs, I found something that actually works. I'm looking for channels in the travel niche to do an end-screen exchange with me. The algorithm actually likes it and if you look at the little Tubebubby checklist one of those is creator recommended. So, you can get authority from this.
Anyone with a travel channel, give me a shoutout and we can see if our mutual channels are a good match.