• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question VPN and YouTube, why people getting banned because they use VPN? (or so I've heard)

KIDisMe

nkri.one
Subscriber Goal
Hello, I've been reading many Facebook YouTuber forums which said that YouTube usually banned a user just because that user was using VPN.
Is it true?

What is that mean?
I've been using VPN for years, mostly for my conventional use, not especially used for YouTube and more so to intentionally go against YouTube policy which I don't know that have those kind of policy.

But I kinda like to watch my own YouTube Channel videos, just because it's filled with my daughter's videos and I just love too see how she smile and laugh in the more beautifully edited videos of her.

Am I getting risk to be banned because of that?

Thank you kindly for answering if yo do.

Reactions: Lulu
OP
OP
KIDisMe

KIDisMe

nkri.one
Subscriber Goal
Depends what they were using the VPN for. If it was to avoid detection as they had a previously account banned, then YouTube finally worked out that they were banned!
Oh I see, so if you never had "criminal record" on YouTube it, you would be fine.

So they were "returning criminals", who wants to avoid detections.
Thank you, I thought it would applied to all VPN users.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would have to assume the obvious. Using a VPN to get features and monetization from another country, say you're in Indonesia but you use a VPN to make your channel seem like it's in the US (not sure that's how it would work though) to get better features and now money then that should get your channel banned of caught. That's a no no.

OP
OP
KIDisMe

KIDisMe

nkri.one
Subscriber Goal
I would have to assume the obvious. Using a VPN to get features and monetization from another country, say you're in Indonesia but you use a VPN to make your channel seem like it's in the US (not sure that's how it would work though) to get better features and now money then that should get your channel banned of caught. That's a no no.

yes that was the case with my other channel, when I was starting another channel with my VPN On, YouTube automatically set my location to wherever my VPN's designated area was.

But then I realised the "hidden danger" because clearly YouTube asked for "my location", so if I faked that, whether or not that channel will flourish, would only be investigation waiting to happen.

and I love YouTube as a viewer since 2008, so, deceiving them is not on my intent to do lists.

Reactions: BraveStar

Dimi

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Using a VPN can be a good thing when sending a Super Chat from a different country than the one the live streamer is located in.
If I'm watching a live stream from Sweden, it will show the SC in SEK (Swedish kronor), and not many people in the US know how much that is, so to make it easy for everyone, I can use a VPN to "fake" my location and that way YT will think I'm located in the US and the SC will be in USD :)

Besides that, I read that Roberto Blake is using a VPN all the time to protect himself from hackers, script kiddies, etc, which actually made me use one most of the time too.

OP
OP
KIDisMe

KIDisMe

nkri.one
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so to clarify, using VPN to fake your channels location is not ok? We are currently living overseas, so while I don't have my channel linked to a VPN as far as I know, this is still good to know. Thanks for putting this info out there.
it would be ok, if you use VPN not to fake your channel's real location.
But, you can change your video's location for every uploads.

OP
OP
KIDisMe

KIDisMe

nkri.one
Subscriber Goal
Using a VPN can be a good thing when sending a Super Chat from a different country than the one the live streamer is located in.
If I'm watching a live stream from Sweden, it will show the SC in SEK (Swedish kronor), and not many people in the US know how much that is, so to make it easy for everyone, I can use a VPN to "fake" my location and that way YT will think I'm located in the US and the SC will be in USD :)

Besides that, I read that Roberto Blake is using a VPN all the time to protect himself from hackers, script kiddies, etc, which actually made me use one most of the time too.

Me too using VPN for that kind of safety, but YouTube forbid it if you use it to gain the same advantage of the real creators on that specific location, i.e. US of A.

The rate of dollars on that location is vastly different from the other country, so many YouTubers faked their channel's to gain that advantage to be later discovered and banned by YouTube.

Dimi

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
but YouTube forbid it if you use it to gain the same advantage of the real creators on that specific location, i.e. US of A.

Could you please quote and link to the YouTube TOS where it states that using a VPN is not allowed?

• Wow
Reactions: KIDisMe

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I've read YouTube ToS and guidelines too, and found nothing about using a VPN, now I'm cleared about that, thanks.

The ToS likely won't say anything specific regarding VPN's. Instead it will say something along the lines of it being against the rules to have anything that 'manipulates' or 'impairs YouTube's presentation of videos...' something like that.

Reactions: KIDisMe

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Could you please quote and link to the YouTube TOS where it states that using a VPN is not allowed?
Pretty sure the writing will be vague... some reference to manipulating YouTube's presentation etc. I've never seen a rule about that, but I could see how it would be hidden in the fine print.

Dimi

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Pretty sure the writing will be vague... some reference to manipulating YouTube's presentation etc. I've never seen a rule about that, but I could see how it would be hidden in the fine print.

Some day we will find it in the massive text of the TOS :)

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Venture

TubeBuddy Pro
www.aavehypes.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually use VPN for most of my stuffs online but there's no where in their policy stating that using a VPN can get your account banned. I guess there might be a tangeble reason behind those who got banned using VPN to access youtube.

ThomasGreent

Because many people watch videos and movies on YouTube, and everyone gets annoyed by these disconnects or various buffering obstacles. That's why many people use a VPN; even I can't imagine how you can use the Internet without a VPN. I want to say that YouTube is not the only site that suffers from the actions of the Internet provider. Various games streaming videos, especially if I am on an unlimited data plan, also require very high speeds. That's why I use open source media player applications most of the time, which allows me to play and view media streams from various sources. You can find it here . The main advantage is that this program is available for Windows, Android, iOS, etc. Thanks to this, I have access to media content, including online videos, various media files, and music.

Last edited: