• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Are search results based on the user's location?

ghopk68

Hi everyone! Can you give me some insight?? Does Youtube display search results based on the user's location the way Google does? For example, if I'm looking to attract potential clients selling a home in Vancouver, should my video title be, "How to sell your home faster in Vancouver" or just "How to sell your home faster"?

If the user lives in Vancouver and searches, "How to sell your home faster" will the videos with "Vancouver" in the title and description display above others?

Reactions: DebuJalanan

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
Search results on Google are based on your location. But for YouTube, I can't really see how the location would be beneficial. If I was searching for an "Electrician" on Google, you'd think I needed someone local and I was looking for service. If I searched on that on YouTube I might be looking for tutorials, learning electronics, etc. Being a local search really isn't going to help me on YouTube because it's not business, or sales, oriented. Businesses use YouTube ads for that. So if you search "Electrician" on YouTube it's possible you'd get a local electrician's ad if they were marketing correctly, but as far as you SERP's I don't think so.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have wondered as well. I VPN a lot and sometimes forget to disconnect. When I go to YT my home screen is different, not sure if the search results are different, though.

In your example, for a Vancouver specific thing, I would put Vancouver in the title.

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
Well, as with anything when trying to figure out Google or YouTube, it's all about testing. What I have found is that is tied to your device "desktop, mobile, iPad, etc" and also your IP "as for VPN, there is a way for them to detect if you are using one but I just haven't really tested if they would be or not because never had a reason to." But as for your search results that is probably also tied to your email address. Because every time I change logins "because I have 9 different channels" I get a different results suggestion on my homepage. For instance, I have a blender3D channel and when I sign into it, I see a lot more Blender video channels and suggestions on my home page than I do on my other logins.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Location is a consideration... I don't know how far up the ladder location goes; viewer watch history is the major influence for search results. You can of course target location, particularly by having the location marked in the video details.