• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question PC OR MAC?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The truth is either computer is good enough to make content for YouTube. Apple computers tend to be more expensive and often faster for editing videos and photos. But the difference in speed would only be noticeable to someone creating exceptional content for things like movies, TV shows and commercials and such. Unless you have a channel that is a business as well I don't see the need to pay top dollar for an Apple computer for the sake of faster renders.

However, if you can afford an Apple computer and you feel more comfortable using MacOS then by all means go with what works best for you. I'm a PC guy. It's a choice.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
As Brave Starr mentions, there is no clear cut right or wrong answer here. The mac gives a pretty consistent user experience out of the box (If you buy a M1 Mac Mini it will perform as shown in any YouTube tutorial demonstrating something on an M1 Mac Mini). The PC world gives you more flexibility to customize your build to your needs.

In that sense I'd disagree with Brave Starr that Mac tends to be faster. Perhaps at the $650 - $950 price point, the new M1 will outperform similarly priced PCs. But in the PC world you can go crazy and build a $5000 PC that will render a 10 minutes 4k video in a couple mins max. But there is no point in spending that $$ on day 1 and a mid-tier Mac Mini may be a great user experience.

One of the things I like about Davinci Resolve for editing is that it is cross platform (Mac or PC) so whatever skills you learn in Resolve will be useful even if you change computers a year or two down the road. So you aren't forced to stay with one eco system.

Debbv

As Brave Starr mentions, there is no clear cut right or wrong answer here. The mac gives a pretty consistent user experience out of the box (If you buy a M1 Mac Mini it will perform as shown in any YouTube tutorial demonstrating something on an M1 Mac Mini). The PC world gives you more flexibility to customize your build to your needs.

In that sense I'd disagree with Brave Starr that Mac tends to be faster. Perhaps at the $650 - $950 price point, the new M1 will outperform similarly priced PCs. But in the PC world you can go crazy and build a $5000 PC that will render a 10 minutes 4k video in a couple mins max. But there is no point in spending that $$ on day 1 and a mid-tier Mac Mini may be a great user experience.

One of the things I like about Davinci Resolve for editing is that it is cross platform (Mac or PC) so whatever skills you learn in Resolve will be useful even if you change computers a year or two down the road. If you need specialized hardware, take a closer look at reviews on maxlend, you may find a suitable type of loan to buy the necessary computer hardware. So you aren't forced to stay with one eco system.
I completely agree that within a small budget, MAC may be the best solution, but if you want something very productive or specific, it is better to assemble a PC to fit your needs.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I use PC for the simple fact that you get the most bang for the buck. And Windows 10 runs most of the business software in the world. However, I am not anti-Mac. I am anti-paying a huge premium price for my hardware.

If Macs were suddenly priced similarly to PC platform, I would revisit the issue in a heartbeat of PC vs. Mac. But for now and many years prior, I have not been persuaded to ever use a Mac as a primary computer.

Lazypun

Subscriber Goal
I think it all boils down to preference along with workload. If say, you are on your feet most of the day, it's better to get lightweight Mac, as similarly prices Windows laptops in my experience are not as light, not to say performance wise. If you prefer editing at home, better to save up for a decent PC that can handle stuff, and have, say, budget friendly laptop to just carry around as a typewriter and a thing you can show your finished works to others.

PC for gaming, Mac for editing.

But there's Lumafusion on iOS, and it's god-tier for editing!

Just watch this video and let the results speak for themselves!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbMsEKgwtM

It's so unfortunate that an iPad that cost less than a super powerful PC, can have a better editing experience. Not only that, but Lumafusion is just a $30 one time purchase, while an Adobe subscription can be $500+ for just a year.

It's insane that my used first generation iPhone SE (which I bought for less than $100) can scrub through 4K footage more smoothly than my $1000+ gaming laptop (with RAM and storage upgrades).

At this rate, Adobe can't pay me to pirate Premier Pro and use it... when I could be getting a better experience from laying on the couch with a tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattCommand1

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
A computer is a computer. The only question is, how much are you willing to pay to get your work done? Have a lot of money and want to be imprisoned in the Apple universe where they tell you what you can and cannot do? Go with a Mac. Don't have a lot of money and enjoy the freedom of doing what you want with the computer you paid for? Go with a PC. Both can get the job done.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I run Linux Mint as the operating system. Probably the easiest Linux distribution for non 'nix users.
  • LibreOffice for office productivity
  • Audacity for audio
  • Lightworks for video
Also Linux Mint comes with a bunch of software pre-installed.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I use Audacity for my audio too. I have tried LibreOffice, but it lacks a feature that I need and no one has figured out a way to make it do it (as of the last time I tried). I also do photography and graphics creation, and that was another area that I found the software on Linux lacking (at least when I tried it and that was like, five years ago). It's not that Linux does not have good graphics software, it is that I am spoiled by Microsoft and do not want to learn a whole new piece of software. :p:joy:.

I still use Microsoft PhotoDraw on a daily basis, because I simply cannot find a modern piece of software that can do what it does with the same ease. They can do it, but it takes a lot more work and time. PhotoDraw has a lot of "Canned" functions that do advanced things with a click of a button. I run a second XP computer with Windows XP on it, just to run PhotoDraw (PD) because, even though PD still runs on Windows 10, some of the advanced features do not work. I have a system switcher which switches my monitor, keyboard, and mouse over to the other computer that stays on. I just move the files between the two via thumb drive because the XP system is completely insecure, so I have disabled all wireless connections, making it the most secure system. It is also where I keep all important data that I don't want to be stolen. You cannot remotely hack into, what is not connected to the internet and has no wireless connections. Call it, good, old fashion, horse-sense security system. ;)

My setup.
IMG_20220130_085348.jpg

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, old XP was pretty good! First computer I built was with XP.

Completely off-topic but I just broke my all time record for the largest Rainbow trout I have caught in Texas. A buddy of mine told me about this city pond they stocked some Rainbows in about 50 miles from me. Normally, they stock 8 to 12 inchers. On a rare occasion, you might get one that does 13". There is no size limit because as soon as it heats up they are gonna all die off any, so you never catch anything big. Well, I am not sure what they did differently but this was a huge surprise today.

1643773170925.png

Theory Guitar

Guitarist and YouTube Enthusiast
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Completely off-topic but I just broke my all time record for the largest Rainbow trout I have caught in Texas. A buddy of mine told me about this city pond they stocked some Rainbows in about 50 miles from me. Normally, they stock 8 to 12 inchers. On a rare occasion, you might get one that does 13". There is no size limit because as soon as it heats up they are gonna all die off any, so you never catch anything big. Well, I am not sure what they did differently but this was a huge surprise today.

View attachment 11669
Great job!

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer