• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Ad placement??? Leave it to the bot????

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey,

It suggests if you leave it to YouTube to choose the best places for ads on your videos... that you'll get more adds [? - because they don't trust greedy humans] and it will find the best places to put them... [?]

I've let the bot do it on all my videos... but there are obvious places for ads [small set ups/intros/etc] and it misses them

What's everyone's experience with this... and if anyone chooses their own places - has it worked out you got less adds? Or was it better... because if you put them in the right place they don't annoy people as much... the bot seems to hit too many key points/gags and throw potential adverts into those spots... rather then the more obvious [to me] points.

Thanks for any help/advice

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have always just let YT put ads where they will. I guarantee if I placed ads, I would place far fewer than they do. My wife tells that my 20-30 minute vids get usually 6 or 7 ads. I have used AdBlocker since the late 1990s, so I had no idea... :cool:

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Yes I'm an ad blocker too

I know some people say [in certain making money forums] they put an ad ever minute... which makes no sense to me... I mean how does anyone actually watch that content...? They seem to make a lot of money from them...

Maybe YT only has so many ads. So if you ask for 10 ads in a 10 minute video it gives you five. And if you ask for 2, it gives you 1... so to get five - you have to ask for an ad every 60 seconds... still I would think it annoys viewers too much

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Nope, not me. I manually place ads and I also cater portions of my videos to hold an ad. Mostly because I don't want YouTube overdoing it on the ads, but I also want the ads to be less intrusive in their placement.

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I had the bot do the ads and all my over 8min videos, YT went nuts on placing an Ad every 2 minutes and it was super annoying to watch and to a point where I wanted to unsub to the my own channel because it seemed greed AF. So I updated all my longer videos to place a mid-video Ad every 8-9 minutes - takes just as much time as placing a card but it makes the viewing experience much more pleasant. I probably will get a hit on the RPM and CPM but to me I value viewer retention and building a fan base rather than cashing in the cheques (at this time)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have always just let the bot place the ads, but now I am not sure. My wife just showed me one of my 20 minute vids that had an ad at the beginning, an ad at the end, and 4 ad breaks in the video. The break she showed me had to 2 ads in one break. The 1st was 35 seconds. The 2nd was over 9 minutes?! Who makes a 9 minute ad? Who would watch it?

I may have to take more control over the ads...

On the plus side - my ad revenue has increased, even though my views are down.