• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Will College Support Your Passion?

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
5:45 - "I always laugh at people going to college for business. I don't know what they teach them?"

I went to college for business, and one of the things we learned was presentation skills and public speaking. Almost every single class had a presentation in front of the entire class. You also learn how to work with other people (where often 1/2 of the other people are not as good as yourself either because they are lazy or don't care or something else). There are a lot of soft skills to learn in college.

But also people who teach themselves things tend to focus on specialization (depth) and not breadth of knowledge. So in business school you will be forced to do some English/communications classes, some math classes, some economics, some finance, etc and should hopefully have a well rounded foundation on which to grow your career. You should be able to write a decent written presentation and also deliver it publicly. You should be able to read basic financial statements for a business (most people can't). You should be able to explain the basic principles of economics (the VAST MAJORITY of average people cannot and do not understand basic economics - they should really teach economics in high school).

While I don't care how you learn (college vs free/cheap online courses) I do believe that good education is the key to societal progress. Maybe US colleges aren't good education? I don't know, I'm not in the US. But pursuing a higher education in whatever way you think will improve yourself is always a good thing! And if the internet makes that cheaper or more accessible, then all the power to you. Just keep on learning and "trying to be the best you" that you can be. I wouldn't personally suggest that people should skip any kind of higher learning because they don't like college - just refocus your investment on the right learning for your unique life goals and aspirations. If you find your purpose, you will find passion, and you will then have the motivation to conquer the challenges in your way.

I did well in business school because I have a passion for business - I genuinely enjoyed learning business and got excited about it. Some other students did poorly because to them school was a punishment their parents made them do, not a gift to improve their odds in this world. IMHO, a lot of what you get out of things comes down to your perspective and motivation in this world.

OP
OP
kallendiggs

kallendiggs

TubeBuddy User
Thank you for your thoughtful comment! When I'm a guest on someone's show, I don't always agree with everything they say or believe. However, I sympathize with the host's frustrations of the higher education system.

Many people can accrue the same business and soft skills on the baccalaureate or master's level without going to college by learning in an alternative setting. As I stated in the interview, everyone learns differently.

We agree that good education is the key to societal progress. We disagree about suggesting people to skip college. Some people should because most higher education institutions don't offer multiple learning formats. Some people may learn better and succeed in a 2 year apprenticeship versus the same time in college.

Lastly, the education cost is important. I don't encourage anyone to go into massive debt for a degree because there's no guarantee that one will be able to pay off their debt.

University degrees should be affordable to everyone. Some may be eligible for government grants and scholarships, while others may need to do a work-study program. Alternatively, Coursera Plus is a very affordable option ($400 USD a year) to earn an unlimited amount of certificates branded by various universities.