• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Subs Don't Matter... Here's Why

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok... that isn't actually accurate at all. Subs do matter... but not for the reasons you think that they do. So many people think that subscriber counts are the key to YouTube; you get 100,000 subscribers and that is going to equate to a full-time living. That is dead wrong. I've seen channels with over one-million subscribers who can not pull more than 60 views per post. From my own personal experience I saw a channel with nearly 50,000 subscribers who made less money than I did when I hit 1,000.

The reason is because this is a new day and age for YouTube and Subscriber counts are not the most important thing. Subscribers are important because these are the people who have found your content valuable... they are the fans who buy shirts, share your content and leave you all of the positive video-metrics which encourages YouTube to serve your content further. But 100,000 subscribers equates to a full-time living about as much as Cyberpunk 2077 equated to a finished product at launch.

So aside from the fact that subs matter for all the above reasons, why would they not matter? That is because you do not need subscribers to drive your and grow your channel. They help... but the fact of the matter is that by the time you start getting people to really subscribe you will have already mastered something far more valuable for channel growth. You will have learned to make a great video that captivates a viewers and causes them to re-watch and share with their friends. You will have brought value to the point where these viewers can't not subscribe to see more and guess what... you will have already begun earning the views that get you paid. These views don't come from Subscribers, at least not until you really start piling them on. The vast majority of your views should be coming from non-subscribers... and by vast I do mean that you should be aiming for 90% plus of your traffic to come from non-subscribers. For starters, this is how you get discovered. To capitalize on YouTube you need them to share you out and when they do you will see this amount of traffic coming from people who have not subscribed. But this also means that your content is providing value to a select audience; if you are making How-To Videos on Fixing Broken Floor tile you are only going to get so many views from Subs. There are only so many times they will need to watch that video before they have repaired all their floor tiles and memorized the process. Your views should be coming from every person who has broken a floor tile for the first time and found you in Search.

Subscriber counts are important because it is a reflection of the value you provide and it is still a metric that brands use to assess your value when considering sponsorship deals. But that is about it. It is not a reflection of your skills or talent, it is not a testimonial for your authority on the subject and topic of your channel and it is definitely not the score by which you are judged as a person. Subs are people. They are individuals who enjoy the same things that you are making content about. Treat them as such; appreciate and respect them as viewers... individually... even if you manage to climb to the top of a 100,000 subscriber channel you should appreciate, enjoy and respect each subscriber as the fan that you want them to be.

Bertha Mukodzani

TubeBuddy User
Ok... that isn't actually accurate at all. Subs do matter... but not for the reasons you think that they do. So many people think that subscriber counts are the key to YouTube; you get 100,000 subscribers and that is going to equate to a full-time living. That is dead wrong. I've seen channels with over one-million subscribers who can not pull more than 60 views per post. From my own personal experience I saw a channel with nearly 50,000 subscribers who made less money than I did when I hit 1,000.

The reason is because this is a new day and age for YouTube and Subscriber counts are not the most important thing. Subscribers are important because these are the people who have found your content valuable... they are the fans who buy shirts, share your content and leave you all of the positive video-metrics which encourages YouTube to serve your content further. But 100,000 subscribers equates to a full-time living about as much as Cyberpunk 2077 equated to a finished product at launch.

So aside from the fact that subs matter for all the above reasons, why would they not matter? That is because you do not need subscribers to drive your and grow your channel. They help... but the fact of the matter is that by the time you start getting people to really subscribe you will have already mastered something far more valuable for channel growth. You will have learned to make a great video that captivates a viewers and causes them to re-watch and share with their friends. You will have brought value to the point where these viewers can't not subscribe to see more and guess what... you will have already begun earning the views that get you paid. These views don't come from Subscribers, at least not until you really start piling them on. The vast majority of your views should be coming from non-subscribers... and by vast I do mean that you should be aiming for 90% plus of your traffic to come from non-subscribers. For starters, this is how you get discovered. To capitalize on YouTube you need them to share you out and when they do you will see this amount of traffic coming from people who have not subscribed. But this also means that your content is providing value to a select audience; if you are making How-To Videos on Fixing Broken Floor tile you are only going to get so many views from Subs. There are only so many times they will need to watch that video before they have repaired all their floor tiles and memorized the process. Your views should be coming from every person who has broken a floor tile for the first time and found you in Search.

Subscriber counts are important because it is a reflection of the value you provide and it is still a metric that brands use to assess your value when considering sponsorship deals. But that is about it. It is not a reflection of your skills or talent, it is not a testimonial for your authority on the subject and topic of your channel and it is definitely not the score by which you are judged as a person. Subs are people. They are individuals who enjoy the same things that you are making content about. Treat them as such; appreciate and respect them as viewers... individually... even if you manage to climb to the top of a 100,000 subscriber channel you should appreciate, enjoy and respect each subscriber as the fan that you want them to be.
This was eye-opening. Thank you

Fleurdwi Cooking

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's very interesting, i am at ~85% views from non subs and each month the channel is growing (in watching hours, views, subscribers). I guess i am on the right track

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
active subs matter!
These are called Fans and I would highly discourage the use of the term subs in this circumstance. Personally I find it an insult to be called a sub. If I am just a number to you I find that demeaning. Either I am a valuable contributor to your community or not.

• Love
Reactions: Bertha Mukodzani
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It's very interesting, i am at ~85% views from non subs and each month the channel is growing (in watching hours, views, subscribers). I guess i am on the right track
Exactly right... you are getting external traffic and that is the entire purpose of YouTube's Algorithm. Keep doing what you do because you are doing it right.