• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Help with a video processing error?

SenseiB12

I've been having an issue where, when I upload videos, a "freeze" is often introduced to the video after processing. There will be a minute or two where the video is frozen and there is no sound. When I repeat attempts to upload the same video, this sometimes occurs in different places in the timeline of a video, for the exact same video file, and there is no such error in the original video file. It also might appear in the exact same place over the course of several attempts. But, the only constant is that it affects almost all my videos, the only workaround I've found is to upload the video repeatedly until it works, maybe ten times or more, which could take days.

When it occurs, there is a gap on the timeline visible in the youtube editor. It looks like this:
gap.png

You can see the audio waveform just disappears for a while.

This is driving me crazy, and I've spent a while trying to find some kind of cause.
-I'm using Hitfilm, and exporting videos with the Youtube 1080p HD preset at 60FPS.
-There is no copyright warning on the video.
-There is no error message generated by youtube. Unless I actually watch the video or check the editor timeline, it appears to have uploaded and processed successfully.
-It does not go away after giving the video extra time to process to HD version, nor days later, something that has been suggested to me.
-Making a tiny change to my video and re-exporting it will cause the error to occur in a different place on the timeline (in the event that it was appearing consistently between upload attempts, which may or may not happen) but rarely seems to actually prevent the error.
-I've reported this a dozen times through youtube's feedback feature.
-I've made a youtube community post, but got no replies.

Has anyone seen an error like this? Do you have a hunch on things I may try to fix it? I feel like I'm losing my mind because I can't even find examples of this happening to anyone else- except one person on a reddit post I made. But, I'm no closer to actually solving it.

themagicwand

Hello,

Did you ever try to use any other video editing software?
Did you try to edit the same video with other editing software like Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Filmora, etc.?
Did you experience the same problem with those software (if you tried)?

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SenseiB12

Hello,

Did you ever try to use any other video editing software?
Did you try to edit the same video with other editing software like Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Filmora, etc.?
Did you experience the same problem with those software (if you tried)?

Thanks
I don't have any "pro" programs, just the free ones. ;) But, I tried placing the video file in Openshot and re-exporting it. I'm still seeing the same problem.

In light of that test, and since I'm basically using the default settings on Hitfilm, which is a fairly popular program, and I've not seen other people with the same problem, I don't really the problem is because of my video files. I guess I still can't absolutely rule it out, but I'm just recording 60FPS videos and exporting them as H.264. I have a fairly slow internet- is there any instances where this is known to cause problems with uploads? Otherwise, I feel like I'm trying to find any other person who has this happen and look for common factors.

themagicwand

I see, umm slow connection might not be the problem, because I used to have slow connection but still I managed to upload the videos without any kind of similar problems. What is the total size of the file you upload? Any chance you can give me the file, so that I can check it from my end?

Thanks

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I would definitely have someone else check your source file. Also, Davinci Resolve is free pro software. You may want to try it out and see if that helps.

Reactions: themagicwand
OP
OP
S

SenseiB12

I'll give Davinci Pro a try- it's downloading now. As for the videos, they're long (and boring, sorry! haha) at 45 minutes to an hour, and 2-3GB. I think I can cram one in my dropbox, so I'll add a link to one in case anybody can spot some kind of problem.

Complete pipeline in case anything could be responsible:
-Recorded with OBS. The settings are reproduced below:
1626847371720.png
-The recorded video is an MKV, which is remuxed to MP4
-Audio is recorded as multiple tracks, and exported from the MP4 into Audacity, edited, and then exported as an MP3
-The audio and video files are edited together in Hitfilm, or formerly, Openshot
-The final video is exported from Hitfilm with this preset:
1626847641447.png

Not visible: Audio bitrate 192kbps

I started having this problem rather suddenly, after I had been uploading videos for a while without issue. I can't think of any setting I changed at the time, I had been using this process previously. Even though I had switched to Hitfilm from Openshot a while before I encountered issues, I also have tried re-exporting my video through Openshot and it hasn't really helped.

Possibly of note, or maybe a coincidence- the Openshot version of my last video seems to have shorter periods of the video broken than the Hitfilm version. However, as before, they occur at different places on the timeline in multiple upload attempts. I've also never seen a video with two such errors. Over several upload attempts, the pattern I usually see is that there are two or three places in the video where it will break- results could be said to be quantized, there are several possible places the video will encounter errors, but all of the videos which break in the same place seem to be identical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SenseiB12

Well, frustratingly, I still don't understand why I started having problems with both Hitfilm and OpenShot after they worked fine for a while, but I tried re-exporting through DaVinci Resolve and yeah, it worked without errors. I also made a new video through DaVinci and that uploaded successfully too, so I guess it wasn't a fluke. Guess I'm learning to use DaVinci now!

Reactions: SILTHW

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, frustratingly, I still don't understand why I started having problems with both Hitfilm and OpenShot after they worked fine for a while, but I tried re-exporting through DaVinci Resolve and yeah, it worked without errors. I also made a new video through DaVinci and that uploaded successfully too, so I guess it wasn't a fluke. Guess I'm learning to use DaVinci now!
It's possible the software might have updated and might have changed codecs in a way that affected the rendering process. I had this happen several years ago. Turned out the codecs the software was using got corrupted and caused issues with YouTube's website. I don't remember how it got fixed. I believe I updated the codecs on my PC or the software had an update that fixed the problem but by then I had already switched software. You can try downloading a codec set for your PC like K-Lite codecs which helps with not only video editing software but also with video players like WMP or even VLC. It's free and so far safe. I've been using them for years.