• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice When to redo #Shorts?

Albercook

I'm trying to make a short every day for a month or two. In no small part because on this forum I already see things that I want to fix. A couple of my videos made it onto the shelf so I don't want to make them private or delete them but I also don't want viewers to have to watch both the original and the updated version. I guess I could write something in the title but it looks like I can't link to another video at the beginning of a short.

OP
OP
A

Albercook

Thanks. I don't want to get flagged.

I have seen tutorials that have been updated and they have cards that say " see updated version here"

A lot of my videos are diy-ish. What if there is an error in the original? (It looks like I can't add text to shorts after they are published.) Or if I came up with a better way to do something.

Would I get flagged if I unpublished the first version?

Would a similar topic with different footage count as duplicate?

So assuming that the new video has enough new footage to not look like a duplicate the the YT algorithm, and I mention the update in the title and put a link in the description would it be good to leave both published?

I also don't want any links to go dead.

Thanks for any advise.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Thanks. I don't want to get flagged.

I have seen tutorials that have been updated and they have cards that say " see updated version here"

A lot of my videos are diy-ish. What if there is an error in the original? (It looks like I can't add text to shorts after they are published.) Or if I came up with a better way to do something.

Would I get flagged if I unpublished the first version?

Would a similar topic with different footage count as duplicate?

So assuming that the new video has enough new footage to not look like a duplicate the the YT algorithm, and I mention the update in the title and put a link in the description would it be good to leave both published?

I also don't want any links to go dead.

Thanks for any advise.
(1) Yes, updates are fine as long as it is new content
(2) If there is an error, either do an update, or create a new video and remove the old one. YouTube doesn't provide the tools to edit a published video outside of just removing parts of it.
(3) You can unpublish whatever you want.
(4) No, if it is truly new content and not just the same content with a different video. Remember, most channels are manually reviewed before monetization is approved. Duplicate content is one of the things they are looking for.
(5) That's fine. It is common for people to do updates and link to the new from the info cards and title cards as well as the description.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Don't go daily simply for the sake of going daily. That is the wrong approach. If you have to skip a day because you don't have a video do be it. Also, there is a fine line between recycling/repurposing content and totally reposting the exact same video. The latter is against YouTube TOS and they will shut down your channel for that.

OP
OP
A

Albercook

Thanks. I was wrestling with that very thing. I didn't have anything ready one day so I didn't post. Glad to know that was the right call. Also the next one that I did publish has the best first 24 performance of all my shorts.

I'm going for 30 in 30. 30 videos in 30 days.