• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Do I need to start a new channel because I have changed direction?

DannyC

Hi everyone,

I started a channel about a year ago. I have been uploading regularly (once every two weeks) for the last 8 months. I get very low views. - maybe 100 a month of less!

My channel started of as a general English channel - videos for people who are learning English. I had a good start because I did a collaboration with another channel and I got around 400 subscribers instantly.

About four months ago I decided to change direction on my channel and niche down - I now do business English - videos for people who use English for their work.

My video quality has improved a lot but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm maybe getting 100 views over the course of a few months.

I feel that each time I create a new video, the small number of impressions I get are largely seen by my subscribers I got right at the beggining from the collaboration who have no interest in business English. I feel that I have alienated my existing subscribers by changing direction and because they are not viewing my new content then YT algorithm feels that this is an issue with my content.

Do I need to start a new channel or should I press on with this one?

Thanks!
Dan

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Short answer - No. You may need to do a lot of re-arranging and create new playlists. You may need to hide old content, but you certainly have enough similarities that you don't need to restart.

You haven't properly linked you channel to your forum profile so I can't look at your channel, but the above holds as general advice.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Is this for primarily non-English speaking people, i.e., English as a second language? You seem to have a niche, but no target audience.

When you type business "English lessons for esl students." I'm getting very good marks for my weighted score.

A niche has as much to do with the audience as the subject. I'm building out a class and it's often important to niche down about four levels.

English
business English
business English lessons
business English lessons for esl students

If you're just doing business English, you probably haven't niched down in the right way. A proper niche should have a narrow subject matter and a specific people group. In our above example: business English lessons is the subject. ESL students are the people group.

Another example I'm getting good result from derived from you latest videos about talking turkey (I think we say brass tacks on this side of the pond):

business English sayings for Spanish speaking people

Again the subject is 'business English sayings.' The primary audience is native Spanish speaking people.

So, spend some time digging deeper in your SEO. Your video quality is plenty good. You just need to better target a specific people group and narrow down the subject maybe one more level. From there just crank out about 200 videos, and you should see an audience over time.

OP
OP
D

DannyC

Hi Damon,

Thank you so much for your help.

Yes my channel is for non-English speaking people who are learning English for business purposes.

When I look at the weighted score for " Business English lessons for esl students" my score is "poor" - 20/100

I presume there is a lot of competition for the keywords phrase "business english for".

I have a couple of questions and a comparison to another creator who does the same kind of thing as me:

Firstly, to clarify, are you saying that I need to specify an audience in the title each video or I should I doing this in my tags?

By niche I mean that business English is more niche than general English, although I understand that "business English for Spanish speakers" is even more niche.

For my latest video I worked hard to follow all of the advice I had read regarding titles and ketwords.

My title was:

Mastering business meetings with ESSENTIAL PHRASES for giving your opinion

This has an "excellent score" on Tubebuddy, my overall SEO score according to TubeBuddy is 80/100.

These are my tags:
mastering business meetings with essential phrases for giving your opinion
professional vocabulary for business meetings
give a strong opinion
give a weak opinion
make a good impression in meetings
english with dan at learn london
learn london business english
advanced expressions for business meetings
phrases for attending a meeting in english
english for business communication
british english pronunciation of business phrases
common expressions for business

There is another video on YouTube with a similar topic by another content creator has 41,000+ hits with the title:

"41 Phrases For Leading A Business Meeting - Business English"

His SEO score is rated at 40/100 by TubeBuddy

His keywords/tags:

how to lead a meeting in english
useful phrases for chairing a meeting in english
vocabulary for english meetings
business english meetings lesson
what to say in a business meeting
delegate tasks in english
manage a discussion in english
improve your english speaking skills
english for professionals
learn business english on youtube
business english
practise english for work
become more fluent in english

I can't see him specifying an audience or niching down any further than I am, but his video appears to be very successful.

This makes me think that there is an audience for the content I am creating.

I guess what I am asking is, based on that example, is there anything that I am doing wrong or not doing? According to Tubebuddys assessment of my title and SEO, I should be getting at least a tiny bit of traction....

Thanks again!

Dr_Alan_Science

Known Member
I think that you need to keep continue, because after 2-3 years. YouTube will trust you after a few years and will rank higher to gain more views and subscribers and likes!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Na, the audience doesn't have to be in the title every single time. @Dr_Alan_Science is right, it can take two or three years to get results. How long has the video you mentioned been out, and how long has his channel been going?

It's always funny how TubeBuddy ranks things. Your title ranked poorly for me, but my proposed title ranked poorly for you. so, go with whatever TubeBuddy ranks best for your channel. The other guy's 40/100 score probably ranks 80+/100 for him.

The answer is, no, you're doing nothing wrong. You need at least 150 videos on business English before you start seeing any traction. YouTube is a miserably long and slow process.

Another principle I've learned is chasing the marketplace is like chasing a white rabbit down a blackhole. You seem to have a passion and desire to teach English, that desire alone will get you more views and subscribers. It's going to take a long time for people to find you, and there is no guarantee. Press on, get 100 video out there for business English, then assess where you are. If you keep find 80/100 keyword phrases for your channel, in two or three years you will find an audience.

OP
OP
D

DannyC

Thanks for the help guys.

At the moment I release a new video every other Monday. From your experience, would you say that is regular enough?

Maybe I need to up my output!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Try to get two or three videos out per every week. I don't know your life schedule, but the this kind of video often works best with multiple videos per week.

OP
OP
D

DannyC

Interesting. Do you have any insight into how the algorithm reacts to one minute/two minute videos?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
It all works the same. Two or three minutes is optimal for a video like this. Think of it business people are often pressed for time. If you can give them what they need succinctly, you would like better serve your audience.

OP
OP
D

DannyC

Hi. I have another question!

How important is it that my titles always rank as excellent? Even when I choose a title that has an excellent ranking it seems to make no difference as far as I can see.

Thanks

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hi. I have another question!

How important is it that my titles always rank as excellent? Even when I choose a title that has an excellent ranking it seems to make no difference as far as I can see.

Thanks
Think of it as a bet. If I offer you the following bets, which would you choose?
- 5% chance of winning
- 50% chance of winning
- 90% chance of winning

Even if you choose 90%, you aren't going to win 100% of the time. You just have a much higher chance of winning. When choosing something that ranks as excellent, you are taking the best odds bet.

• Love

jackaiden981

Its depends, what kind of channel you are trying to create. Before starts a channel, You must have stats about topic or niche which are going to target. I recommend just visit Global Hot 20 to check the videos views and stats. After getting videos or content stats, you will be able for this.

Last edited: