• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Making videos for me, my audience or both?

Kaida

My channel is currently very new as I just started it a few months ago but I'm getting the feeling that isn't good enough despite how well I think I made the videos. As far as my gaming channel goes, sometimes I want to scrap an entire series just because it's not getting views(which to me means that it's not entertaining enough for my intended audience) but I really enjoy the game I'm playing, and want to show it off. I want to make content that I enjoy and be appealing to my audience but I seem to be struggling with how to do so, mainly understanding that what is deemed as entertaining is completely subjective. ItΓÇÖs incredibly irritating to think about at times.

Last edited:

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Just make videos that you would watch not what you would play. The volume of YT viewers is massive and the simple fact is, if you like watching it, then others with similar taste will too. If you keep chasing the rabbit hole of trying to please the viewers, you will burn out quick. If you want to showcase your game, make it so you can watch it. I probably watch my videos during the edit stage 30-50 times before calling it a final cut and upload to YT. I then watch it 2-3 times when it is finished uploading to check if it is something I would watch. If it gets cringey after 5-10 times of watching it during edit, I cut out the part that makes it cringey because it makes it unwatchable for me. Eventually all videos become cringey after many repeated watches but there is a threshold that I can't define. Anyways my two cents - best of luck

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I think it has to be both. You can just chase what you think others want to see... but if you stumble onto to something they like - will it be something you can, or want to, do long term?

I have to enjoy what I am doing, so I make vids that I would want to see. I also pay attention to comments and analytics to try and make what they want to see. I am looking for the common ground. If no one watches, there is little reason to make vids. If I do not enjoy what I am doing, there is little reason to make vids.

OP
OP
Kaida

Kaida

I think it has to be both. You can just chase what you think others want to see... but if you stumble onto to something they like - will it be something you can, or want to, do long term?

I have to enjoy what I am doing, so I make vids that I would want to see. I also pay attention to comments and analytics to try and make what they want to see. I am looking for the common ground. If no one watches, there is little reason to make vids. If I do not enjoy what I am doing, there is little reason to make vids.
That is very true and a very good way to think about it! Thanks for your insight

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Kaida

Kaida

Just make videos that you would watch not what you would play. The volume of YT viewers is massive and the simple fact is, if you like watching it, then others with similar taste will too. If you keep chasing the rabbit hole of trying to please the viewers, you will burn out quick. If you want to showcase your game, make it so you can watch it. I probably watch my videos during the edit stage 30-50 times before calling it a final cut and upload to YT. I then watch it 2-3 times when it is finished uploading to check if it is something I would watch. If it gets cringey after 5-10 times of watching it during edit, I cut out the part that makes it cringey because it makes it unwatchable for me. Eventually all videos become cringey after many repeated watches but there is a threshold that I can't define. Anyways my two cents - best of luck
ThatΓÇÖs a pretty solid idea, IΓÇÖll have to think about a way to implement that into my editing process. Thanks!

Reactions: Damon

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It really depends on what's your goal with the channel. Are you looking to create content because you enjoy making content and would like to share what you make with others who might have the same interest or are you looking to monetize in which case you'll have to target your content to a specific audience with specific content that can get you a better chance of drawing more views and subs but might not be content you necessarily enjoy or was hoping to dedicate your time creating?

I always suggest to every content creator to enjoy their journey as a YouTuber. The road to success needs to be fun, otherwise, as some mentioned, it will burn you out. It's possible to be successful while doing what you love, but that will likely come with a lot more work as you build an audience that enjoys what you like as opposed to one that looks for what's trending. But this is the best way to succeed in my opinion. Find the right balance between what you're passionate about and what your audience wants and you can succeed. So long as your content is watchable. :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
My Approach is complex... but I do prefer a blend.

60% of my videos are pure, niche-oriented and audience focused content.
30% Videos are for pushing the envelope and experiementation.
5% Videos are purely for pushing links, affiliate sales etc.
5% Videos are me doing whatever I want to do.

MuhammaRashedulIslam

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
My channel is currently very new as I just started it a few months ago but I'm getting the feeling that isn't good enough despite how well I think I made the videos. As far as my gaming channel goes, sometimes I want to scrap an entire series just because it's not getting views(which to me means that it's not entertaining enough for my intended audience) but I really enjoy the game I'm playing, and want to show it off. I want to make content that I enjoy and be appealing to my audience but I seem to be struggling with how to do so, mainly understanding that what is deemed as entertaining is completely subjective. ItΓÇÖs incredibly irritating to think about at times.
why not both? I think you have to do for both.

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I'd say both since if you make videos you enjoy then it's not going to be boring to the audience and you'll have fun making videos.