• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Ok.. Found something odd in analytics related to "Short" videos that makes me question if this was YouTube's doing

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Ok so I have been testing out YouTube Short videos on a weekly basis and I was having these spikes of views that I thought was amazing. And then lately, my new Short videos lost its spikes and are being watched like my regular uploads. At first, I thought perhaps it was my content that was not as "catchy" as earlier videos but when I started looking at the Analytics, I began to notice an odd pattern. When I was looking at Geography of my viewers, I started to see spikes from India that lined up exactly to when my Short videos spiked (see attached pic - Geography by Views). If you compare the chart with attached pic of Geography by Watch Hrs, you can see that India does not come close to my regular viewers.

As a disclaimer I do not pay for my views or have a subscription to "free views", so this makes me wonder, did YouTube/Google hire a company to spike up all the Short (beta) videos in order to get content creators the momentum to keep uploading more shorts to compete with its competitors (TikTok and Instagram)??? I say this because these viewers did not come back to my channel to watch my regular uploads. But at a certain point, these spiked views disappeared and my short videos are receiving the same exposure as my regular uploads.

In the end, it doesn't matter but I feel slightly cheated from these spikes if the viewers were just watching or clicking the shorts without wanting to watch my content. Anyone else see this on their pages?

Mods - sorry if this conspiracy type of post is not allowed!

Geography By Views.jpg

Geography By Watch Hrs.jpg

ClimaX

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Ok so I have been testing out YouTube Short videos on a weekly basis and I was having these spikes of views that I thought was amazing. And then lately, my new Short videos lost its spikes and are being watched like my regular uploads. At first, I thought perhaps it was my content that was not as "catchy" as earlier videos but when I started looking at the Analytics, I began to notice an odd pattern. When I was looking at Geography of my viewers, I started to see spikes from India that lined up exactly to when my Short videos spiked (see attached pic - Geography by Views). If you compare the chart with attached pic of Geography by Watch Hrs, you can see that India does not come close to my regular viewers.

As a disclaimer I do not pay for my views or have a subscription to "free views", so this makes me wonder, did YouTube/Google hire a company to spike up all the Short (beta) videos in order to get content creators the momentum to keep uploading more shorts to compete with its competitors (TikTok and Instagram)??? I say this because these viewers did not come back to my channel to watch my regular uploads. But at a certain point, these spiked views disappeared and my short videos are receiving the same exposure as my regular uploads.

In the end, it doesn't matter but I feel slightly cheated from these spikes if the viewers were just watching or clicking the shorts without wanting to watch my content. Anyone else see this on their pages?

View attachment 10380
View attachment 10381
So sad

TheShihTzuFamily

Recognized Member
I think you might have found something here! because I look on my shorts channel it say with all the video that had a spike in view was all in INDIA but my other shorts video INDIA was no where to be found?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
The charts makes perfect sense.

First, India has a much more developed Shorts section, that is after all where they are launching it first. There are more of them watching shorts, so if you show up on the shorts shelf, Indian views would be logical.

Second, your geography graph shows India had 37 hours of views. Shorts do not add up as well as regular videos. Your watch time chart does not go down to 37 hours, you may need to expand the list to 10 or 15 countries to get down to 37 hours.

Third, I doubt shorts will ever lead to much on our regular vids. People watching shorts are there for a quick succession of short form fun. Most viewers will likely never go look at people's channel.

TheShihTzuFamily

Recognized Member
Hmm we need more users with the same data to build this hypothesis. More people check their shorts!
I agree maybe YouTube did sent bot to view the shorts video! I all ways wonder why I gain like 10 subscribe on a shorts video but only 2 or 3 stay the rest unsubscribe but no data on them unsubscribe on analytics? And went the video doing good it just FLAT LINE and no more views come in!

• Wow
Reactions: KS Moto Cafe

MuhammaRashedulIslam

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User

View attachment 10380
View attachment 10381
so sad dear