• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Honest review; first time using copyright free intros and endings

Nick Moody

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hey Nick, there are a few things to think about.

First, make sure you are getting to the topic quick. There is some evidence that most people watch the first 3-6 seconds of a video and have decided if they will continue watching it in that time. You will see more and more people dropping the intro bumper all together, or at least having a cold-open before it to try and get that hook out. I've personally found my videos that have a hook and a very short (3 second) bumper with just a logo and sound tend to do better and have higher average view duration.

I've heard it said for years that good writing is saying exactly the right thing in a way that sounds natural, when real people rarely say exactly the right thing and don't always sound natural. Having some scripting - it doesn't have to be word for word - can help keep you focused. The bit at the beginning about the dates felt like it ran long and didn't add a lot to the video.

I see a lot of good foundations here. I would work on improving your audio and getting a better balance between the music and your voice. The music is a lot louder. The typical rule is voice-only at -10, music only somewhere between -10 and -20 and if you are talking over music, voice at -10 and music at -30. Most video editing software has the ability to "normalize" audio. That will help.

Keep at it! Looking at your past videos I can see you starting to get more comfortable.

Reactions: Nick Moody

mrjoecastellon

Subscriber Goal
Adding to what SILTHW said, I would suggest sticking to landscape format. Especially for the scenes where you definitely shot on landscape (as seen on reflection of the nice car) but the video was still on portrait. That's a lot of wasted video.

Try getting a lapel microphone to improve your audio. The BOYA M1-BY is probably your best option, it has amazing sound and costs under 25 USD / GBP. Though, judging from the new car, you could probably afford a wireless Sennheiser lav mic

Reactions: Nick Moody
OP
OP
Nick Moody

Nick Moody

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Nick, there are a few things to think about.

First, make sure you are getting to the topic quick. There is some evidence that most people watch the first 3-6 seconds of a video and have decided if they will continue watching it in that time. You will see more and more people dropping the intro bumper all together, or at least having a cold-open before it to try and get that hook out. I've personally found my videos that have a hook and a very short (3 second) bumper with just a logo and sound tend to do better and have higher average view duration.

I've heard it said for years that good writing is saying exactly the right thing in a way that sounds natural, when real people rarely say exactly the right thing and don't always sound natural. Having some scripting - it doesn't have to be word for word - can help keep you focused. The bit at the beginning about the dates felt like it ran long and didn't add a lot to the video.

I see a lot of good foundations here. I would work on improving your audio and getting a better balance between the music and your voice. The music is a lot louder. The typical rule is voice-only at -10, music only somewhere between -10 and -20 and if you are talking over music, voice at -10 and music at -30. Most video editing software has the ability to "normalize" audio. That will help.

Keep at it! Looking at your past videos I can see you starting to get more comfortable.
Many thanks for your comprehensive feedback. Really appreciate it! Will take on board ALL your comments.

OP
OP
Nick Moody

Nick Moody

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
Adding to what SILTHW said, I would suggest sticking to landscape format. Especially for the scenes where you definitely shot on landscape (as seen on reflection of the nice car) but the video was still on portrait. That's a lot of wasted video.

Try getting a lapel microphone to improve your audio. The BOYA M1-BY is probably your best option, it has amazing sound and costs under 25 USD / GBP. Though, judging from the new car, you could probably afford a wireless Sennheiser lav mic
Thank for the comments. I filmed in landscape but must have forgotten to press something as I hate portrait mode lol.

• Haha
Reactions: mrjoecastellon