• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Official After 6 months of creating content for YouTube, my most proud accomplishment is that I did not QUIT.

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel back in December 2020. A lot of ups and downs as everyone here understands when you start out and get your feet wet. Since then, I was blessed to have some success along the way but there were a lot of lessons learned that I would like to share. After the first two months of starting my channel, I was stressed about not being able to achieve 4000 viewing hrs because, at the time, I only massed about 100hrs and 100 subs. But now, after 6 months, I have already cleared the 4000hrs of viewing and I am now just working towards the 1000 subs to achieve monetization status. The marker for 1000 subs with 4000hrs under 1 year is now my new goal as I see it being achievable.

With that said, my biggest joy throughout this process is not seeing higher number of views or subs. It is actually when I get comments from viewers who are truly watching my video because it was something that they searched for and they felt satisfied of what they got. Whether they end up subbing or not, is no longer my concern - I am just happy that they left an impression that will help me develop better content.

One of my biggest hurdles was trying to promote my channel without self promoting. I have been banned few times on Reddit and some FB groups because I didn't understand the rule and how much people hated self-promoters (especially youtubers). I used to be affected by the downvotes and negative comments however, I now welcome the interaction as long as it gives me some feedback on how to improve my content.

There were many days when I wanted to just quit and go about living my life. The pressure was getting to me at some points and I was just too fixated on keeping up with others. Competitiveness is a good thing but as long as you use it to better yourself and your product. If you only ask yourself "why not me" or "what is wrong with my content" and never go to the distance to improve your content, then you will keep digging yourself into a deeper hole of negative thoughts. What I like to do is make small adjustments as I keep uploading new content to "better" my videos and see how the audience reacts to it. This can be simple as adding sound effects to stuff that pops up on the video and changing up the frequency of my "call to action". Some changes are hits and some are not. The important part is that you keep changing until you get that momentum of viewers coming to see your videos organically.

Here is what I tell people who are looking for unsolicited advice:
  1. Learn how the SEO works - TubeBuddy Pro really made it easy for me to understand the rankings
  2. Stay within your theme but don't be afraid to try different topics to feel your audience out
  3. Continue to improve your editing by cutting out more non-sense and adding in more quality content about the subject in the title
  4. Don't forget that creating content for YT is a positive choice and not a burden (ie stay passionate)
  5. When your channel seem to get stagnant or you don't see much growth for a while, change it up and get creative
  6. Engage with all commenters positively so that they feel safe to comment again (as if you are running a business)
  7. Talk to similar niche content creators via public forums and share ideas.
  8. Treat yourself when you hit certain milestones
  9. Don't burn yourself out - give yourself health break
  10. Time = money
In the end, it is ultimately up to you to define success and set a timeline to achieve it. When you achieve it, make sure to celebrate and make a new reachable goal for your next milestone.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: sakul

XtremeJam87

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I completely agree with this, I hear about so many people quitting because they don't have 'x' amount of subscribers after 3 months. It's not a race it's a marathon. It takes a lot of time, effort and commitment.

When the channel does become successful the hard work makes it worth while(so I am told lol)

Reactions: KS Moto Cafe
OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I completely agree with this, I hear about so many people quitting because they don't have 'x' amount of subscribers after 3 months. It's not a race it's a marathon. It takes a lot of time, effort and commitment.

When the channel does become successful the hard work makes it worth while(so I am told lol)
You are 100% correct about the marathon part but most people never trained or ran a marathon, so pacing themselves is difficult to learn.

Reactions: XtremeJam87

XtremeJam87

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That is very true. I know it can be disheartening for some people when they don't get a lot of interaction on their videos at first, but as the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day"

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel back in December 2020. A lot of ups and downs as everyone here understands when you start out and get your feet wet. Since then, I was blessed to have some success along the way but there were a lot of lessons learned that I would like to share. After the first two months of starting my channel, I was stressed about not being able to achieve 4000 viewing hrs because, at the time, I only massed about 100hrs and 100 subs. But now, after 6 months, I have already cleared the 4000hrs of viewing and I am now just working towards the 1000 subs to achieve monetization status. The marker for 1000 subs with 4000hrs under 1 year is now my new goal as I see it being achievable.

With that said, my biggest joy throughout this process is not seeing higher number of views or subs. It is actually when I get comments from viewers who are truly watching my video because it was something that they searched for and they felt satisfied of what they got. Whether they end up subbing or not, is no longer my concern - I am just happy that they left an impression that will help me develop better content.

One of my biggest hurdles was trying to promote my channel without self promoting. I have been banned few times on Reddit and some FB groups because I didn't understand the rule and how much people hated self-promoters (especially youtubers). I used to be affected by the downvotes and negative comments however, I now welcome the interaction as long as it gives me some feedback on how to improve my content.

There were many days when I wanted to just quit and go about living my life. The pressure was getting to me at some points and I was just too fixated on keeping up with others. Competitiveness is a good thing but as long as you use it to better yourself and your product. If you only ask yourself "why not me" or "what is wrong with my content" and never go to the distance to improve your content, then you will keep digging yourself into a deeper hole of negative thoughts. What I like to do is make small adjustments as I keep uploading new content to "better" my videos and see how the audience reacts to it. This can be simple as adding sound effects to stuff that pops up on the video and changing up the frequency of my "call to action". Some changes are hits and some are not. The important part is that you keep changing until you get that momentum of viewers coming to see your videos organically.

1. Learn how the SEO works - TubeBuddy Pro really made it easy for me to understand the rankings
  2. Stay within your theme but don't be afraid to try different topics to feel your audience out
  3. Continue to improve your editing by cutting out more non-sense and adding in more quality content about the subject in the title
  4. Don't forget that creating content for YT is a positive choice and not a burden (ie stay passionate)
  5. When your channel seem to get stagnant or you don't see much growth for a while, change it up and get creative
  6. Engage with all commenters positively so that they feel safe to comment again (as if you are running a business)
  10. Time = money
In the end, it is ultimately up to you to define success and set a timeline to achieve it. When you achieve it, make sure to celebrate and make a new reachable goal for your next milestone.

Cheers!
What a wonderful and inspiring post! Based on several of your posts I've had a chance to visit your channel periodically and could see the changes and improvements you were making. What I love is that you got out of the "need subs" mindset and focused on forming a community!

Congratulations on your success so far. I'm sure there will be more!

OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
What a wonderful and inspiring post! Based on several of your posts I've had a chance to visit your channel periodically and could see the changes and improvements you were making. What I love is that you got out of the "need subs" mindset and focused on forming a community!

Thank you for the feedback! I do a lot of self reflection of my past videos as I release new ones and I realized how much time I wasted doing a recap of previous videos when no one cared for it. Especially if it is not a continuation of the same topic. My big challenge now is figuring out if I have an intro or not.

Personally, I like having an intro because it breaks up the video nicely and it has a "pro" feel to it but my viewer retention analysis gives me mixed feedback - I just can't seem to find the happy medium. I am working on a new channel anination intro that is less than 5 seconds rather than the 10seconds I have right now that seems like it is dragged out after numerous viewing.

What really worked for me lately was the TubeBuddy Pro function - SEO tool. That thing is a must have for increasing your reach! Anyways I am blabbing on again

Thanks again!

XtremeJam87

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

It really rubs me the wrong way when people say "I NEED 'x amount' of subs" Having a following of an invested community is far more valuable than 900 empty subs

XtremeJam87

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
My big challenge now is figuring out if I have an intro or not.

That is an interesting dilemma. I watch a channel called Abroad In Japan and a lot of his videos recently don't start with an intro, instead it is like 30 seconds of clips of what is about to happen, then a short intro clip rolling into the feature video.

OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
That is an interesting dilemma. I watch a channel called Abroad In Japan and a lot of his videos recently don't start with an intro, instead it is like 30 seconds of clips of what is about to happen, then a short intro clip rolling into the feature video.

That is what I have been doing lately on my longer videos (motorcycle reviews) where I do B Rolls with highlight reel that lasts about 30 seconds but I also include my 10 sec intro afterwards to transition to the real review. The flow works for the review videos (15-25min in length) but for my short 5 to 8 min videos, it doesn't work.

sakul

10. Time = money

Cheers!
thanks for this

• Love

ClimaX

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

10. Time = money

Cheers!
Nice one Boss

ClimaX

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That is what I have been doing lately on my longer videos (motorcycle reviews) where I do B Rolls with highlight reel that lasts about 30 seconds but I also include my 10 sec intro afterwards to transition to the real review. The flow works for the review videos (15-25min in length) but for my short 5 to 8 min videos, it doesn't work.
Interesting

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

ClimaX

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think I'll start doing that

OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I just took a break, the main reason was burn out. Summer is here in AZ, over 110-114 each day, makes it too hot out there this summer! I do mostly outdoor videos.
That Avacado puppet is so adorable! Yeah 110-114 would kill me on my motorcycle and eventually my vlog haha. Did the break affect your channel at all?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Susan Wojicicki mentioned that they did research on this. Whenever a YouTuber takes a break and comes back, thing either kick up where they left off or accelerates to new heights. I've found this true for my channel.