• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Restricted Mode (not mature audience mode)

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
It seems almost all of my videos have been put into the infamous restricted mode. The annoying part is that I can't tell why. Some have no reason whatsoever why they're in there and some I would think would be put in there aren't. Only one is marked mature due to the storyline and I put it in mature. I'm not talking about mature videos, I'm speaking of only the ones put into restricted mode.

My question is, does having this video in restricted mode affect the general search and discovery and suggested videos where the user is not in restricted mode? The reason why I ask is that the videos in restricted mode have probably 30% less views than the others. I can't imagine that many people are viewing in restricted mode in such a small sample. I really do think it affects my discovery as well as almost every other person in my genre and it stinks.

Thanks

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
My gut instinct tells me making content that is not suitable for general audiences will hurt you in several ways. This is why so many successful Youtubers I follow avoid profanity, violence, and controversial topics. They don't want any more challenges than they already have.

I used to toy with the controversial and occasional profanity in a different life to be "more real" but those days are over for me as far as YT goes.

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
That's why I fight it every time. YouTube is becoming the nanny of the future which is really sad. Fortunately, though, oftentimes they get it wrong. The problem is, they promote their own movies which also include a lot more graphic violence and language than any of the videos my friends and I create. As long as they are promoting their own sponsored content with these features, then they really need to allow their customers to do the same. I won't stop creating what I make because I love what I do. As a writer, I think it is ridiculous to tell me what I can and can't do so when the day comes when I'm no longer welcome I will be happy to move my work where I write and narrate my own horror stories and the work of others (with their permission, of course.)

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
And yes, if I had a business I was promoting like real estate, I wouldn't swear in those. There's a difference between promoting a professional service and regular content. As long as it is called "You" Tube then they need to realize it's not just a professional business site, but also for a whole lot of other content.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You asked why no one answered you since June 2021. So I volunteered an answer. How YT operates has nothing to do with my profession or what my channel is about. You can do whatever you want with your channel. I don't have a dog in the fight. You are the one asking if YT restricts content and the answer is obviously yes and there is likely an impact on search and discovery.

To be clear, my preference to NOT use profanity on video goes beyond my profession or the subject matter of my channel. It is my personal choice. But this isn't about me. I don't make the rules for YT. I simply try to follow and abide by them. I am not interested in fighting YT. I want to ride the trend.

Also, remember, YT is a private company. They can make any rules they want. If you are upset that your content might be deprioritized and want to fight them as you said you have, have at it.