• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Newbie: How To Look At Competition if I Always Rank Poor?

aidynsbooks

Hi! I have a fairly new channel that has never paid attention to SEO. For each keyword in my niche, the Competition (Weighted) comes up as 'Poor'.
Is this because I am just getting started? Should I be focusing on just optimizing my channel for the KW I WANT to rank for? Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

Thanks!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
You are mixing up a couple of things, but got to the right answer :)

The Keyword ranking is made of of a few things. Some you can influence, others you can't. For example, you will have little impact on "search volume". If no one in searching for that topic/keyword, then you can do everything you can but you want create more demand for that keyword. However you can impact a few other things. You can impact your search rankings using the standard SEO best-practices over time. And your improved search ranking would positively impact your weighted score. Think of your weighted score as where you are at this point in time.

But here is the kicker. It is highly-likely that you can tune your keyword to improve your score. And that is often the better strategy over choosing a keyword with a poor score.

Do take some time to go though the videos on the TubeBuddy channel about this topic. It is a pretty important one when it comes to improving your search and discovery rankings. Channel link is here: