• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Audio Library & Copyright Strikes on YouTube

contentisking

Is 100% safe to use music from the youtube audio library? or It's a risk I have to take?
When I download a song from the audio library I don't get any documentation/license all I get is a mp3 file...

When someone joins a site like epidemicsound you do get documentation, license..but didnt get any documents with the audio library...

And from the next article written by an attorney it looks like the Use of Creative Commons materials is not risk free (so probably by using the youtube audio library we are taking a risk?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
This is a complicated question that deserves a bit more of an answer that we usually give.

YouTube partners with ASCAP directly to license content. In return, YouTube helps ASCAP enforce the copyrights for the artists, labels and organizations that are members. You can learn more about their agreement here:

As such, the YouTube Audio Library is about the safest source of music for YouTube. But there are a few things to note.

Many of those same artists, labels and organizations also hire third-party companies to enforce their copyrights. Those companies use automated systems and may not realize that the audio you are using is from a legitimately-licensed source. That is why you see the occasional strike against content from companies like Epidemic Sound.

The absolute safest thing is to use music composed for you where the artist transfers the rights to you. That can be less expensive than many people realize, but it is important to ensure the artist isn't using samples or other things that may create a copyright strike. The second safest thing to do is use the YouTube Audio Library, but the music there is broadly used across YouTube and honestly not always the best music. Next would be the legitimate sites like Epidemic Sounds. The worst are YouTube channels that claim they offer "copyright free" music, as it is nearly impossible to verify that they are using legitimately licensed samples and sounds.

OP
OP
C

contentisking

thanks for the answer. So if I understand right, using the YouTube Audio Library is safer than using legitimate sites like epidemicsound?

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sincerely speaking its only safe to use music from the official YouTube audio library and your own of course.

sometimes I use music from inshot video editor but giving credit in the description but I still remain worried if I use these songs although it's too hard to resist some of the music in the video editor.

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
thanks for the answer. So if I understand right, using the YouTube Audio Library is safer than using legitimate sites like epidemicsound?

YouTube has provided this music for creators.. as a safe option for music. Making sure to read the terms and conditions of use is very important. For example.. if the music says you MUST attribute the author of the music, then you definitely want to do that. However that's not to say that down the road if one of the artists that allows their music to be used freely for now, change their mind (which is quite possible) or they sell the rights to the music to someone else and they choose to not allow it to be used.

On another note.... MANY pieces of Classical music are considered "public domain" so you can use it freely and openly on your YouTube channel without strikes as well, monetized or not monetized. Anything PUBLIC DOMAIN is not protected by intellectual property laws and can be used free of use without permission. (Mainly due to it's age)