• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Copyright claims from old videos?!

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Basically IΓÇÖve just noticed that 3 of my videos from last year (2020) have copyright claims on music. At the time there was no such claim, and the claim has only been put on recently. Does this mean the hours donΓÇÖt count towards my watch time?
Kind of disappointing as these are my popular videos and I really want the hours to contribute to my journey to become monetised.
Have you guys experienced this? Do you know of anyway I can dispute this? I now use music from thematic so hopefully this issue wonΓÇÖt happen again but itΓÇÖs just annoying because those particular videos have voiceover as well as music so I canΓÇÖt replace the songs.

TheShihTzuFamily

Recognized Member
If it the music what got you the claim you can edit the video to MUTE the music for that part! Try that first to see if eye turn back green not yellow!

OP
OP
Kindred

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If it the music what got you the claim you can edit the video to MUTE the music for that part! Try that first to see if eye turn back green not yellow!
Yeah the only problem is the video has voice over along with the music so I would lose the voice over part which is needed for the video

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
It is had to be specific as to why. You will likely need to reach out to @teamyoutube on twitter and see if they can give you more detail. The challenge with using music like this is that the person making the composition (song) may not copyright the song, it may use samples and loops from materials and that original copyright holder may be the one putting on the strike.

It is really important to not assume that something is copyright-free just because someone posts it on YouTube and says it is.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Basically IΓÇÖve just noticed that 3 of my videos from last year (2020) have copyright claims on music. At the time there was no such claim, and the claim has only been put on recently. Does this mean the hours donΓÇÖt count towards my watch time?
Kind of disappointing as these are my popular videos and I really want the hours to contribute to my journey to become monetised.
Have you guys experienced this? Do you know of anyway I can dispute this? I now use music from thematic so hopefully this issue wonΓÇÖt happen again but itΓÇÖs just annoying because those particular videos have voiceover as well as music so I canΓÇÖt replace the songs.

We had an issue the other day where we got a claim (on a video of ours from 2018), but it was someone who was NOT the OG artist claiming the music as theirs.... We reached out directly to the artist to let them know someone was claiming HIS music as theirs.... and he told us to appeal the claim. We did and it got dropped within an hour. So make sure it's the OFFICIAL artist or their rep who is filing the claim against you and do some research first.

Additionally... If you used music in your channel that is royalty/copyright free.. BEFORE you were monetized.... Make sure that when you DO become monetized.. that the music you used is allowed to be monetized.... or can be monetized with attribution.

Reactions: TheShihTzuFamily
OP
OP
Kindred

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for all your help guys - I will be taking all that advice onboard and have contacted youtube via twitter as @SILTHW suggested. I will keep you guys updated. Honestly so grateful for this forum :)