• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Question about longer videos and retention

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
What happens when a person posts a longer video, say 120 minutes and people watch 30 of it every night for 4 nights in a row. Does youtube count that as 1 whole view of 120 minutes or 4 views for 30 minutes each?
thanks

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
What happens when a person posts a longer video, say 120 minutes and people watch 30 of it every night for 4 nights in a row. Does youtube count that as 1 whole view of 120 minutes or 4 views for 30 minutes each?
thanks
Hey there, by my understanding, and having spent a considerable amount of time on my analytics, the views and watch time are obviously separate metrics, but each one works on their own, meaning the view count is just a view count, and the watch hours accumulate watch hours.

IΓÇÖm in my analytics now and it doesnΓÇÖt seem to calculate watch time from each viewer, but just collects all the watch minutes into the metric and displays it as ΓÇ£watch time (hours)ΓÇ¥, and each view is counted when someone clicks your video and watches a minimum amount of that video, thatΓÇÖs my understanding of it anyways.

As always anyone can add their thoughts :)