• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Should I allow my video's to be edited/shown on someone elses Brand channel?

Slarty

Hi All - new to the forum,

I've recently started a channel on YouTube and have been approached by a couple of well known brands who have in the 10's of millions of subscribers across multiple platforms (YouTube, Facebook, TikTok, etc) - both have made similar requests/offers - eg: they want to copy and edit one or more of my channel videos - typically putting a new soundtrack over the top then play them across their channels/platforms - the return offer is that they will place a link back to my channel from the video post.

On the face of it this seems like good exposure with little risk to myself, I will be looking to monetise my YT channell when I become eligable - does anyone else have any experience of these type of offers - I'm assuming they are quite common - are there any pitfalls to be aware of by entering into an agreement like this?

Appreciate your thoughts,

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
"Big, well-known brand"... but they can't afford to pay you to license your content? Something isn't right.

I build intellectual property for a living and have done more license deals than I can count. None of them have ever been "free for publicity".

But if you decide to go down this path, spend the ~$150-$200 on an IP Attorney and have them review the agreement.

OP
OP
S

Slarty

"Big, well-known brand"... but they can't afford to pay you to license your content? Something isn't right.

I build intellectual property for a living and have done more license deals than I can count. None of them have ever been "free for publicity".

But if you decide to go down this path, spend the ~$150-$200 on an IP Attorney and have them review the agreement.

Thanks for responding, one of these was Bored Panda - if you take a look here: https://www.facebook.com/craftypanda/ you'll see numerous examples were they link back to the original Creators channel - the terms are along the lines of you grant them the non exclusive right to publish your content in perpetuity with a link back to your channel albeit with the right to order them tocease publishing any new material you may produce.

My key concern is what impact granting them the right to do this may have on my ability to monetise down the road?

OP
OP
S

Slarty

Depends on if YouTube considers their views to be from advertising or not. See below and read the section on "what does valid public watch hours mean"
I'm not referring to trying to count hours watched on their channel as my channels watch time - they'll obviously capitalise on having the video on their channel but the link back to my channel may result in me gaining a few more subscribers which in turn will help my channels watch time which can only be good - so as a young channel just starting out I'm struggling to see a down side to this arrangement - would be really intersted to hear from anyone who has signed up to one of these types of arrangement.