• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice How do I keep a consistent schedule?

iFarrag

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hello Lego, you definitely need a schedule; I usually donΓÇÖt leave things to the last minute, I.e. I post one video every week, as soon as I upload the video I start working on the next one a little bit every day so I donΓÇÖt get bored doing everything at one go! Hope that helps :)

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
How do I keep a consistent schedule when my content takes a very long time to make? Do I even need a schedule?
Come up with a set format for all of your videos.... regardless of the content.. it will help you plan and utilize your time better. Especially if you don't have a lot of it, it's better to chip away at the wheel bit by bit. We're editing bit by bit all week long, to get our video our each week. Once you have a style, your videos should get easier and easier to edit. We have a small checklist of items we need to get done for our videos every week, and we do our best to stick to it, and if something doesn't get done... we don't stress it.. as long as the video gets out.

OP
OP
LegoSpider

LegoSpider

Subscriber Goal
Come up with a set format for all of your videos.... regardless of the content.. it will help you plan and utilize your time better. Especially if you don't have a lot of it, it's better to chip away at the wheel bit by bit. We're editing bit by bit all week long, to get our video our each week. Once you have a style, your videos should get easier and easier to edit. We have a small checklist of items we need to get done for our videos every week, and we do our best to stick to it, and if something doesn't get done... we don't stress it.. as long as the video gets out.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I make stop motion animation so it does take a long time, but I now know I still need a schedule.

OP
OP
LegoSpider

LegoSpider

Subscriber Goal
Hello Lego, you definitely need a schedule; I usually donΓÇÖt leave things to the last minute, I.e. I post one video every week, as soon as I upload the video I start working on the next one a little bit every day so I donΓÇÖt get bored doing everything at one go! Hope that helps :)

It does, thank you so much!

Reactions: iFarrag

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Get a backlog. What I mean is make sure you have a buffer of 2-10 videos you can release so that you are not pressured to release stuff when you are sick, on holiday or otherwise unable to put a video out.

Reactions: BraveStar

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Having a backlog is a good idea. I accidentally figured that out. I came back from a trip, with 8 videos... that was when I learned how to schedule. I release 2 a week so was about a month ahead. My usual is 3 or 4 videos ahead. My vids are daily vlog/travel so they are easier to film and edit, though. A backlog may be harder with your stop motion.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I still don't have a set schedule after seven years of doing YouTube. Also my format continues to change over time. Since I'm trying to make documentary films, it's an art. It should neither stay the same, nor have a set schedule as it is unpredictable when I'll get out a new video. The fish don't bite just because I show up with hook, bait and camera. In fact the fish only bite well once a month, during the new moon.

Also if you're going the filmmaker route, there is a point where you have to slow down dramatically to get the quality you need to better your craft. So, don't be discouraged if it takes you a long time to make your stop-action videos. Concentrate on the stories you want to tell. Spend time studying filmmaking, and do the best you can with the gear your have.

If you keep making content, you will eventually have build/backlog. In your situation, all this talk of schedules and backlogs don't apply in the same way. Most people making YouTube videos aren't artists. Honestly I wouldn't worry about a backlog, per se. Spend most of your time planning and studying. Make a sort of personal backlog of ideas. Keep them in a notebook, on your phone or whatever you choose. This way once you finish one project, you'll immediately pick up the next project.

Too many people are focused on YouTube and not on the art/craft of motion picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LegoSpider

LegoSpider

Subscriber Goal
Get a backlog. What I mean is make sure you have a buffer of 2-10 videos you can release so that you are not pressured to release stuff when you are sick, on holiday or otherwise unable to put a video out.

That makes a lot more since. Thanks, that really helps.

The Storm is coming

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Find something that works for you, have a internal motivation to create videos. Tony robbins or other crap motivational gurus ain't going to help. It sounds cliché but if the only reason is because a motivational speaker said that or you want to be "successful" it may not be for you.

But.. looking at your weekly activities and planning things ahead can really help. I would recommend for example batching content, so when you don't want to film a video you have a back-up video.

i found if you can film a few things at once and process them, schedule them for one a week or so, that gives you more time to make new videos

charandperry

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
We upload weekly on our channel and normally edit them the day before and upload the following day

Bertha Mukodzani

TubeBuddy User
Find something that works for you, have a internal motivation to create videos. Tony robbins or other crap motivational gurus ain't going to help. It sounds cliché but if the only reason is because a motivational speaker said that or you want to be "successful" it may not be for you.

But.. looking at your weekly activities and planning things ahead can really help. I would recommend for example batching content, so when you don't want to film a video you have a back-up video.
I work full-time as a nurse and finding time to make videos can be a real challenge. I'm still quite new to YouTube but I've realised it's easy to get a burnout. I'm also planning to shoot videos for my library when I get time off so that on the days I'm too exhausted from all the shifts, I can just click 'publish'. Also some days you feel discouraged or demotivated to shoot. So I totally agree with this

Reactions: Damon

ravindrajoisa

www.ravindrajoisa.com
Subscriber Goal
How do I keep a consistent schedule when my content takes a very long time to make? Do I even need a schedule?
I am uploading 2 videos a week and I do this along with my full time IT job. I plan all of my videos in advance and in the previous month. Scripting, Recording, Editing, uploading/scheduling, then the TubeBuddy research (have been using VidIQ before and now using TubeBuddy) and checks. To do all these I follow montly sprint.
View: https://youtu.be/cfvsr4w0ZHM

Last edited by a moderator:

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I was just about to suggest that. Things such as short clips of your typical content, teasers and bloopers. In this case you can even make stop motion bloopers. They can be shorts or maybe 15 second videos. Have that's already uploaded and private or unlisted and just have them ready to publish when needed or even schedule them.

Reactions: Bertha Mukodzani