• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question small youtube channel vs big youtubechannel

contentisking

Many marketeres recommend you to create channels for a very specific audience (it makes sense as you make sure that your audience & subscribers will love and watch your videos till the end.

But I see lots of succesful bigyoutube channels who dont target a specific audience...and they have videos on very different topics (wich in theory it should affect their watch time & retention rate) but they still get videos with over 10 million views and they rank those videos at the top of youtube for competitive keyword phrases (is also true that they have lots of videos with very few views - considering the amount of subsribers they have

Also if its true that you are allowed to have custom thumbnails in only 2 channels (not sure if this is right..I think I read it some time ago but cant find any info on this)..I think would be smarter to create more general channels so you can have more chances to grow a bigger channel..(I cant find any info on how many channels with custom thumbnails I can have..could someone share link where youtube explains this?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
First, stop comparing new channels to channels that have existed for years. What they are doing now is unlikely to have been what they did to build their audience. Once you have a large audience, you can broaden into new categories and test new ideas and niches because you will have massive amounts of analytic data to know if new things are working or not. Most, if not all of the very large channels will not stay with something that doesn't work.

For new channels, you have to build an audience. I've written a post on this:

There is not limit to custom thumbnails. It is a basic capability of YouTube Studio There are people that manage many channels all with custom thumbnails. Not sure where that rumor came from.

Reactions: Damon
Subscriber Goal
Many marketeres recommend you to create channels for a very specific audience (it makes sense as you make sure that your audience & subscribers will love and watch your videos till the end.

But I see lots of succesful bigyoutube channels who dont target a specific audience...and they have videos on very different topics (wich in theory it should affect their watch time & retention rate) but they still get videos with over 10 million views and they rank those videos at the top of youtube for competitive keyword phrases (is also true that they have lots of videos with very few views - considering the amount of subsribers they have

Also if its true that you are allowed to have custom thumbnails in only 2 channels (not sure if this is right..I think I read it some time ago but cant find any info on this)..I think would be smarter to create more general channels so you can have more chances to grow a bigger channel..(I cant find any info on how many channels with custom thumbnails I can have..could someone share link where youtube explains this?

DonΓÇÖt feel left out I feel most of us are in the same boat starting out. No way I can compete against someone who has been on YouTube for like years. ItΓÇÖs like a business we have to start off small and build up on that. I only have like 42 subscribers and that took me 2 months to get that. I just keep making videos once a week because of my lifestyle but I donΓÇÖt let anything stop me for making one. One day we all will make it!!

• Love

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Let me ask: If you started a smartphone company in your spare bedroom, kitchen table, attic or basement today, do you think you would be able to compete with Apple and Samsung tomorrow?

Starting a new YouTube channel today and comparing it to channels that have been around for a decade is like starting a software company and expecting to outstrip Microsoft.

Last edited:
Subscriber Goal
Let me ask: If you started a smartphone company in your spare bedroom, kitchen table, attic or basement today, do you think you will be able to compete with Apple and Samsung tomorrow?

Starting a new YouTube channel today and comparing it to channels that have been around for a decade is like starting a software company and expecting to outstrip Microsoft.
Well said

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Let me ask: If you started a smartphone company in your spare bedroom, kitchen table, attic or basement today, do you think you will be able to compete with Apple and Samsung tomorrow?

Greatest analogy IΓÇÖve seen, sadly us small players have to really get stuck into making a place for ourselves in the world of YouTube, some do hit a lucky note, generally for many it takes time and loads of uploading, as well as learning, lots of learning!