• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Too many Topics on Channel

JoshJaemes

So I started my channel for wood working, then added my leather working. I then found that my design program and tool reviews were much better of a draw.

Is it bad to have too many topics on one channel?

Thanks,
Josh Jaemes

Last edited:
Reactions: pablo_eskobar

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I think most people would say yes unless a lot of people do both leather and wood working together (I have no clue.) I tell horror stories, some are true and some aren't. Many of them I write. I found that the most popular videos were the ones I wrote but I couldn't come up with one every week so I had to add more. What I'm going to do is do all of them during my quest to get my 4000 hours (I'm at almost 1900 right now) and then study my analytics to see which stories people like better and stick with those (crossing fingers it's mine!) when I reach my goal and bring that weekly or 2 to 3 days per week instead of daily. I'll know then which ones are more popular and ones I should stick with.

Reactions: pablo_eskobar

pablo_eskobar

Witajcie czy można prowadzić kanał wędkarski łącząc co z stremowaiem z gier ? co o tym sądzicie ?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You can have a variety of similar topics, but you need to at least be mindful of what is happening when you do. The woodworking and leather work topics seem similar, but understand that when someone comes across a leatherwork video and they enjoy it enough to subscribe they found you because they needed something to do with leather. So when you post a leather video that is what they subscribed for and this is likely what they are going to watch. If you post a design program video that is going to be served to this viewer (either as a push notification or as a suggested video). They came to you for leather, and odds are they are not going to watch this. When YouTube serves video it reflects as an impression in your analytics and YouTube is watching to see how many people are clicking on it. So when you have a bunch of these viewers who came for leather and they are not clicking on your design program video YouTube doesn't know that this is a different video with a different audience. They simply see that this new video is not getting clicks. This drops your CTR, and the video will inevitably perform far worse than it would were it served to the audience that is actually looking for design program content.

It is important to have this laser-focus on your niche (at least at first) because it helps to build authority in that niche so that YouTube knows exactly who to share it out to. But also the response that you get from a less confused audience helps to bolster the performance of your videos. Once you have that foundation of viewers who have grown from enjoying what you do simply for your leatherwork to enjoying your personality then you can branch out a little more. But when you first start off it is better if you remain dedicated to a singular niche.

OP
OP
JoshJaemes

JoshJaemes

Thanks for the replies! Good information. I was thinking the playlists would solve my dilemma, but I may need to rethink my strategy. I do however see wood workers, as an example, doing tool reviews as well as woodworking. So maybe I simply need to pick a trade. Maybe I’ll make a separate channel as well…..