• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Could Older Videos with Bad Ratings Hurt Current Discovery? (see scenario)

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a video that is about 5 years old and has over 15K views. The problem with the video is that people who search for its keyword are probably not finding what they want. It's a dark web horror story about a feederism victim. People typically don't find it with my keywords of horror stories, scary stories, or dark web stories. Most of the hits come from the keyword feederism and my guess is they're looking for something that is um...hmm...how can I put this "more adult catered toward their fetish" and when they realize it's a horror story (even though it has a horror story title) they click away within a minute or two. I have a decent retention rate of 38% to 80% on most videos but I think this one drops the whole channel average down as its retention rate is very low, like single-digit low.

My discovery on the channel as a whole is horrible. I don't know if it's my thumbnails or if this video is dragging the whole channel down with it which is too bad because it is a fun story. Maybe I should just unlist it and see if that makes a difference. Hmmm... I might try that before deleting it. What do you think?

Thanks

Apin89

Subscriber Goal
before deleting it, maybe you can try first just making the video private instead public (it's in the content settings on youtube studio) so that the video can't be found, and then see if there is a difference to your total channel or not.

But in my opinion, the rating of 1 video will not really affect the overall rating of your channel if you have a large number of videos, but if you only have a few videos, the rating of 1 video will have a big effect on the entire channel

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I finally ended up downloading then deleting it that pulled in the wrong crowds. They would only listen to 1% of the video because they were a bunch of pervs looking for something else even though the title clearly said what it was. Perhaps I'll create a channel with videos that is called "too dark for you" and not worry about monetizing it and then having it redirect to my current channel hehe.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That video is not going to hurt anything at all on your channel. While there is come correlation between videos YouTube looks at each video individually on their own merit and doesn't hold a channel accountable for a single video's performance.

What affects you channel wide is the audience. If you were to publish a Dark Web Story video every Tuesday, and then a baking recipe every Friday you are going to divide viewers. Some will come for baking, some for dark web. But very few will come for baking and then watch the dark web stories and vice versa. All viewers will still be provided with impressions for all videos; but because only half are going to get watched that is going to send a negative signal to signal that your videos are not performing well.

But a 5 year old video that is soaking up a few views? That isn't going to hurt you at all. YouTube also takes into account the timeframe, with 90 days being the most opportune time for discovery.

OP
OP
spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
The only thing I'm baking are souls. mwahhhahahahaha

That video is not going to hurt anything at all on your channel. While there is come correlation between videos YouTube looks at each video individually on their own merit and doesn't hold a channel accountable for a single video's performance.

What affects you channel wide is the audience. If you were to publish a Dark Web Story video every Tuesday, and then a baking recipe every Friday you are going to divide viewers. Some will come for baking, some for dark web. But very few will come for baking and then watch the dark web stories and vice versa. All viewers will still be provided with impressions for all videos; but because only half are going to get watched that is going to send a negative signal to signal that your videos are not performing well.

But a 5 year old video that is soaking up a few views? That isn't going to hurt you at all. YouTube also takes into account the timeframe, with 90 days being the most opportune time for discovery.

• Haha
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB