• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Visiting the Hole in the Rock and the Papago Amphitheater

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I've watched a few of your videos, as I'm from AZ as well. I also know that you have built up a good subscriber base, so I'm going to get a little more nit-picky than I might be normally

The first thing I struggle with is really understanding the audience you are going for. Is this an "adult" puppet talking to adults, an "adult" puppet talking with kids, or a "child" puppet talking to kids? I raise this because there are sections that feel long if your primary audience are kids. The hike seems long and feels like you can break it up a lot more to keep a kid's interest. I feel you could have gotten a lot more mileage out of the sign with the bees. You could have done a "rule of 3" with it where sign 1 is the bee warning, sign 2 might have been something about hydration and water and sign 3 could have been something silly like "beware of green monsters". Or a take might have been moment 1 - bee warning, moment 2 a bee (added in post) flying around and moment 3 could have been Avocado in a bee outfit chasing someone. The rule of 3 is an old convention and plays well with young audiences.

Some of the B roll could have used some stabilization. Even a monopod might have helped with it. You can also shoot at a higher resolution and use tracking to create a stable version at a lower resolution (e.g. shoot 4k, motion track, end with a 1080p stable shot).

Audio was clear. Light was managed well. Overall it is entertaining. My general thought is that you need to adjust the pacing more towards your main audience.

OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Silthw, I struggle with the same thing. I really don't have a specific audience. I just do what I personally like. I want all ages to enjoy my videos. I feel it limits my videos if I make them for a type or group. When I go in to the stats, it is balanced between all ages. I guess I want to be a puppet that talks to everybody.

I love your idea of 3s! I should hire you to write for me! All my videos I am doing everything off the cuff. Sometimes I don't know what to expect when I reach a location. I need scripts, faster cutting and LOTS of humor. With mixing in the serious and education. Is this even possible!?!?

Thank you so much for your review. :)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hello Silthw, I struggle with the same thing. I really don't have a specific audience. I just do what I personally like. I want all ages to enjoy my videos. I feel it limits my videos if I make them for a type or group. When I go in to the stats, it is balanced between all ages. I guess I want to be a puppet that talks to everybody.

I love your idea of 3s! I should hire you to write for me! All my videos I am doing everything off the cuff. Sometimes I don't know what to expect when I reach a location. I need scripts, faster cutting and LOTS of humor. With mixing in the serious and education. Is this even possible!?!?

Thank you so much for your review. :)
Let me just say, I didn't invent the rule of 3. It has been a common technique in comedy writing forever. That said, comedy writing is more about technique than many people realize and as such can be learned and practiced. I'm a fan of Judy Carter's book "The New Comedy Bible". I had a chance to talk a class from her years ago and she is great at these types of techniques. Worth taking a look!

Reactions: Avocado

LungaLNR

Subscriber Goal
Really great channel but would be much better with animation, like the video I watched,he was is Arizona so I should have seen a thumbnail that was atleast saying or describing that, but averall it's a great channel which I enjoyed watching

LungaLNR

Subscriber Goal
Like regarding on what the video is about,Iike as an example, what he is going to do may give you an idea to Put on a thumbnail on something like that

LungaLNR

Subscriber Goal
With pleasure ❤️ and you got 23k subs man!! congrats,do you mind helping me get a little bit of that,maybe watch one of my videos and check for red flags!?