• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How Do You Find Time To Be A Content Creator?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I started my first YouTube channel 3 years ago and it took me nearly 2 just to upload 73 videos. But along the way, I started having issues that forced me to stop creating content and since then I have only tried one more time on a new channel to start creating again and the same problem persisted so again I was forced to stop creating content.

Privacy has been a big issue for me when it comes to being a YouTuber. Being a father of 3 kids makes it extremely difficult to have privacy or peace in the house even in my own room. It didn't help that where I used to live (Puerto Rico) the houses were not designed to be sound dampened and even worse, because A/C was a luxury we had the windows open all around the house basically 24/7 so the outdoor noises of people, cars, animals, and insects made it impossible to record without spending too much time trying to clean up the audio which would end up sounding worse than a cheap pair of earphone's mic. I am already a shy person who doesn't want to be heard recording myself for now till I get used to it, having a least one of my kids home all the time being loud, always interrupting, and maybe even listening in made it harder to create. Basically, it was too much work and not fun in the end. So I stopped both times.

After more than a year dying to get back on the YouTube content creation game, I have managed to upgrade my setup by leaps and bounds hoping to give being a YouTuber another try. Recent changes in my life have helped improve my situation and so I got myself everything I believe I need to be a creator again. A new, powerful PC for gaming and editing, a new camera for higher quality video, a better mic for better audio and even lights, a good table, a comfortable chair and more. Best setup I could have ever dreamed of. But, even though I live in a better place where the outside noise is no longer a factor, I still have the same problem as before. Privacy. In essence, in order for me to have the time to record any kind of content I have to require my family to give up things for me. One of my kids likes using my PC cause he's the only one currently without a PC of his own. He tends to hog my PC when I'm at work and makes it hard to let it go when I want or need it. My wife likes watching TV in our room where my PC is, she has a right to after all. And my kids, even the adult ones, don't understand the concept of keeping it down. They are loud and my walls are thin and not insulated so sound travels well around here. To make it work I would have to deny my son access to the computer, my wife access to her own room and demand everyone be quiet (impossible BTW) while I record and seeing as I don't even have a schedule I feel like I am being unfair to everyone else just so I can have a YouTube channel for fun. Selfish is the word that comes to mind.

So my question is, does anyone else deal with these kinds of problems? And if so, how do you handle it? I don't want to be the villain in my story but I also don't want to be the one who makes all the sacrifices for everyone else's happiness.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah... absolutely. In fact this is one of the biggest hurdles I face. I'm great at batching my work and repurposing my content, so I can make a lot out of a little. That really helps and for anyone who doesn't batch you need to. Period, bar none. Learn to batch. Batch film, batch edit and repurpose your content.

The other thing that keeps me going is that I am fairly regimented with my time. I don't watch TV or listen to the radio (unless it is that last hour with the family before we go to bed; I'll sit down with them while they watch TV). That is time that I can spend watching, editing, working etc. If I'm driving to work I'm listening to a Nick Nimmin video/podcast. Instead of playing video games I'm editing. My stories are those of my family experiences, so basically my filming consists entirely of holding up a camera while we do what we are already doing. Typically I edit after dinner while everyone is watching TV.

I enjoy YouTube. I enjoy the experience of being a creator... (and a respected creator at that?). But that comes at a cost. I turn these experiences into work, and my hobby is now a part-time job. I do not get to participate in some things that I would otherwise do. You have to make sacrifices sometimes, and you have got to be laser-focused, dedicated and driven to succeed.

Reactions: BraveStar

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
Unless you're just a talking head or playing video games, making videos can be very difficult. If you have multiple filming locations, scripts, special guests, hotel stays, car rentals, scheduling difficulties, then it becomes extremely difficult. If you have a staff of people who each do something like planning, writing, scheduling, etc it makes it much easier but still busy and difficult.

Think of TV shows. They only have per year 6-24 episodes. 24 usually when its only 22 minute sitcoms. They usually plan a year or longer in advance. From going to concept to filming, then post, then advertising. They spend everyday from dawn until dusk making their shows, for months. Sometimes a year depending on the complexity. It just makes your brain go BANANANANS!

Most Youtubers do EVERYTHING involved in production. So it makes sense many get burnt out.

So what I do, is plan 4 days a month. On those days make as many videos as possible. Then spend weekends on post. This way I still have a life for friends, family and fun outside of Youtube. I have had my Youtube channel since Dec 2019. It's been 16 months and I have 52 videos. I WISH I had 100 by now, but the more complex my videos gets the longer it takes. It is never good to go backwards in quality or style.

I hope what I said helps!

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah... absolutely. In fact this is one of the biggest hurdles I face. I'm great at batching my work and repurposing my content, so I can make a lot out of a little. That really helps and for anyone who doesn't batch you need to. Period, bar none. Learn to batch. Batch film, batch edit and repurpose your content.

Yea, batching is one thing I learned on these forums. Something I am adding to my work style.

The other thing that keeps me going is that I am fairly regimented with my time. I don't watch TV or listen to the radio (unless it is that last hour with the family before we go to bed; I'll sit down with them while they watch TV). That is time that I can spend watching, editing, working etc. If I'm driving to work I'm listening to a Nick Nimmin video/podcast. Instead of playing video games I'm editing. My stories are those of my family experiences, so basically my filming consists entirely of holding up a camera while we do what we are already doing. Typically I edit after dinner while everyone is watching TV.

I do watch TV a lot but I can make the time necessary to create my content. But my content doesn't revolve around my family. Only 1 has any interest in being a YTer and he's currently too young for that and it would dig into my personal time for my channel. His idea of a channel is not compatible with my channels either. The editing part is no big deal. I don't need privacy for that so much. It's the recording part that's the issue.

I enjoy YouTube. I enjoy the experience of being a creator... (and a respected creator at that?). But that comes at a cost. I turn these experiences into work, and my hobby is now a part-time job. I do not get to participate in some things that I would otherwise do. You have to make sacrifices sometimes, and you have got to be laser-focused, dedicated and driven to succeed.

Indeed. It will be time-consuming. What I don't want is to be the bad guy for trying to take away their enjoyment just so I can have mine. Seems unfair in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
One of my kids likes using my PC cause he's the only one currently without a PC of his own. He tends to hog my PC when I'm at work and makes it hard to let it go when I want or need it
Set up a profile specifically for him to use, and with the use of parental control locks, which I'm sure there are some of out there, set the PC to automatically shut down at a specific time, and warn him of when that specific time is, so it's his responsibility to make sure he has his files and such in order before he has no control over the computer anymore. If it's YOUR computer, it's time to lay down the law and set restrictions that are well laid out so no one can be confused as to what's expected from them.

My wife likes watching TV in our room where my PC is, she has a right to after all. And my kids, even the adult ones, don't understand the concept of keeping it down.
Most tvs come with headphones jacks. You could use it as an opportunity for her to have her quiet time with the tv listening with headphones (you can get 2-5 meter long extention aux cables, or even a wireless/bluetooth adaptor)

As for the other stuff... I'd just communicate how important it is to you to have x amount of quiet time for yourself, and if they have any respect for you, they'll respect that and do something else when you've set down a time where you want to work. I think communication is key for things like that, and generally family will understand and appreciate clear communication of your needs, if you are considering theirs :)

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Set up a profile specifically for him to use, and with the use of parental control locks, which I'm sure there are some of out there, set the PC to automatically shut down at a specific time, and warn him of when that specific time is, so it's his responsibility to make sure he has his files and such in order before he has no control over the computer anymore. If it's YOUR computer, it's time to lay down the law and set restrictions that are well laid out so no one can be confused as to what's expected from them.

Wish it was this simple. He's 18 years old now. Parental restrictions would be even worse in this case. I want to be fair to him because his other 2 brothers have their own PCs and I haven't had the chance to get him one yet. He knows I want my PC when I get home, but he likes to give me a hard time on purpose. It's kinda how our relationship works. It's not a bad thing but it can become a problem. And my wife is not exactly a referee either. She sucks at understanding and ensuring he follows the rules. We're both softies I guess you can say. Our kids are good kids, they just have a lack of understanding about privacy and personal time. But then if I was to tell you the story of my family it would probably all make sense. This is all part of a long history of not having much of a choice in the past and still today an issue.

Most tvs come with headphones jacks. You could use it as an opportunity for her to have her quiet time with the tv listening with headphones (you can get 2-5 meter long extention aux cables, or even a wireless/bluetooth adaptor)

Yea, but she won't do it. I wouldn't either to be fair. But it would still be a problem because she's still in my space. My camera records parts of my room, Mainly the bed, where she would be at thus kinda bringing her into the recordings too. LOL

As for the other stuff... I'd just communicate how important it is to you to have x amount of quiet time for yourself, and if they have any respect for you, they'll respect that and do something else when you've set down a time where you want to work. I think communication is key for things like that, and generally family will understand and appreciate clear communication of your needs, if you are considering theirs :)

I have before, but like I said. There's a lack of understanding in this household. That includes my wife. They are aware of my desires to be a YouTuber and even understand the potential benefits if I was to succeed and become a big YouTuber with lots of money coming in. But that doesn't stop them from being loud, inconsiderate and sometimes annoying. LOL, as I write this they are arguing behind me in the living room and I can hear it all. My wife even came in to ask me to basically get off the PC and put up a curtain. Something that can wait till tomorrow or maybe even later. Or she can do it herself. But nope. Not in this household.

The Storm is coming

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
For me it's more a priority. I see creating content as a good use of my time and letting my creativity go. Yes i've also started 2 channels and quit on them, to finally have a channel that is more successful than both of them(although i'm not even at 300 subs). When you feel like giving up, just decide for yourself if the time and the ROI is worth it. If 4 years from now you won't be regretting it and think you could have spend more time with your kids, then that totally fine