• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Harassment Comments and Death Threats :(

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't know what I did wrong, but since I started Youtube I have received some really mean and overall scary comments. Here is one example.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.16.36 AM.png

Do any of you get comments like this?

I would say every other video I make I get bad comments like this.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
You will see this mentioned frequently here, but give the nature of your channel you should be very aggressive with your comment word filters. I can't imagine why anyone would use "gun" in a comment on your content. Similarly, shoot, kill, murder, etc. Every time you get a comment like this, add a filter to make sure they don't get posted. In this case, err on the side of being too restrictive over not being restrictive enough.

OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I have the button "hold for moderation" clicked just because of these types of comments. If I had a nickel for each time I got a bad comment like this..

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I have the button "hold for moderation" clicked just because of these types of comments. If I had a nickel for each time I got a bad comment like this..
So a true story from my end. My niece thought it would be funny to have her friends make weird comments on my videos. She didn't necessarily do it to be malicious - more just because she is young and stupid. Her friends, in turn, posted it on several discord servers and had other people come to make comments. While it took me about a day, I was able to add enough word filters that they were unable to post. After a while, they got tired of trying and went away.

OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
So a true story from my end. My niece thought it would be funny to have her friends make weird comments on my videos. She didn't necessarily do it to be malicious - more just because she is young and stupid. Her friends, in turn, posted it on several discord servers and had other people come to make comments. While it took me about a day, I was able to add enough word filters that they were unable to post. After a while, they got tired of trying and went away.
Lol, you still got all those views tho!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I once in a while get a nasty comment. Just know it's usually just an angry kid with nothing better to do with their time. I get some crazy comments from kids as young as 10 flexing their meaness. I wouldn't worry about it, but you definitely want to report it regardless of if it's just a silly troll, or something to be more concerned about. Report the user to youtube, then hide them from your channel.

You should also add words that might not also be caught up in the filters like "pistol" "shoot" etc which on their own, wouldn't be much cause for concern, but in context, don't always get caught in the bad words filter.

I have an extensive list to try and make sure those comments can never show up. So for "shoot" I'd also go with the intentional misspelling of "sh00t" because some trolls know their comments won't get through unless they intentionally misspell them.

Funny thing, and not always advised, but when you get weird comments, if they're less aggressive, if you call them out but don't bite back, just say something like "sorry you didn't like the video, but I hope you have a great week regardless :)" you SOMETIMES get the kids replying with something like "sorry, I didn't mean to say that, I was just angry" or something like "sorry, my friend/brother/sister stole my phone and left that comment"

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I don't know what I did wrong, but since I started Youtube I have received some really mean and overall scary comments. Here is one example.

View attachment 10013

You have an amazing channel, not sure why people would say that maybe because of the muppet and they don't associate there is a human behind it. Know that you are an amazing human being! :)

Reactions: Avocado
OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I once in a while get a nasty comment. Just know it's usually just an angry kid with nothing better to do with their time. I get some crazy comments from kids as young as 10 flexing their meaness. I wouldn't worry about it, but you definitely want to report it regardless of if it's just a silly troll, or something to be more concerned about. Report the user to youtube, then hide them from your channel.

You should also add words that might not also be caught up in the filters like "pistol" "shoot" etc which on their own, wouldn't be much cause for concern, but in context, don't always get caught in the bad words filter.

I have an extensive list to try and make sure those comments can never show up. So for "shoot" I'd also go with the intentional misspelling of "sh00t" because some trolls know their comments won't get through unless they intentionally misspell them.

Funny thing, and not always advised, but when you get weird comments, if they're less aggressive, if you call them out but don't bite back, just say something like "sorry you didn't like the video, but I hope you have a great week regardless :)" you SOMETIMES get the kids replying with something like "sorry, I didn't mean to say that, I was just angry" or something like "sorry, my friend/brother/sister stole my phone and left that comment"
What if someone is asking about shooting a video, some words can have multiple meanings.

You have an amazing channel, not sure why people would say that maybe because of the muppet and they don't associate there is a human behind it. Know that you are an amazing human being! :)
Awww Nate thank you so much! I try to stay positive and show positivity. It's what we need in this world right now. :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
For starters @SILTHW nailed it... use this as an opportunity to beef up the filters. There is no reason at all why a comment like this should reserve any space at all in your head. It doesn't deserve the real estate. In circumstances like this I would file a report with YouTube... the sort of comments get a little more attention than you would think. It is likely an Alt account, though they may ban via IP.

Reactions: Damon and Avocado

Bulltahr

Motorcycles, since the 80's......
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Awesome chaannel production, I would say that you have a lot of early teens visiting your channel, so add the review comment s and drop the ban hammer when you need to.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You should check out Daniel Batal's Twitter feed. He loves sharing the "love" he gets from his most ardent haters on his YouTube comments section. They can often be hilarious because it just seems like they are just trying to troll and tend to be really bad at it.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal

View attachment 10013

You didn't do anything wrong. The person in the wrong is the troll.
I have a friend who has to hold all of his comments because there are people who harass him on all social media accounts and youtube regularly. In fact, I read one of his stories on my channel and they pretended to be him to say some really inappropriate perverted stuff then when we didn't respond they tried to be regular listeners and post some ridiculous comments that I know my listeners would never say (in fact, my real listeners LOVED his scary story.) We just ignore them. Never tell people who you are or where you live. In fact, I have a po box in another state that forwards my mail to me. I realize that you show people the area you live in, but never tell people what city you live in or give them your real phone number. Then just ignore them. Report them to YouTube or if you really feel threatened then report it to the police or FBI cyber crimes (who will probably refer you back to the police.) Still, you should never feel threatened. Also, the more you ignore the trolls and just remove/block their comments instead of responding they'll get bored and move on to someone who will respond.

SimonHenderson

That must be really scary and overwhelming. It's never okay for someone to threaten you or make you feel unsafe, and taking steps to protect yourself is important.
Check out how to protect yourself from online harassment.
If you feel comfortable doing so, you might want to consider reporting the harassment to Youtube or to the authorities. It's also a good idea to be careful about what private information you share online and to take steps to secure your accounts, like using strong passwords and enabling two-factor authentication. Remember, you have the right to feel safe and respected.

Last edited:

Maxonsure

It's tough to understand why some people feel the need to spread negativity online. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon, and many content creators face similar harassment.
I can relate to your experience as I've also faced harassment and even threats online in the past. It can be really unsettling, and it's essential to take care of your mental and emotional well-being.
On a more personal note, my grandpa recently passed away, and I had to leave for his funeral. It's been a challenging time for my family. We're considering aquamation as an alternative to traditional burial methods, like cremation or burial.

Last edited: