• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How does watch later help the channel?

Cynwri

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a crochet tutorial channel and people may add my videos to their watch later list. This being that my videos are long and they may not want to follow along until a later time. Does a video added to a watch later list give you any credit for being acknowledged by a future viewer? I really hope this makes sense.

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The watch later list is like a "holding" spot for someone to watch the video. You will only get the view if someone watches at least 30 seconds of your video. The traffic will show up in your analytics "Browse Features" if it was watched from a viewers "Watch Later" list.

Here is a really good breakdown and understanding of where your traffic comes from (including the watch later) and how it shows up in your traffic.

Hope this helps! :)

OP
OP
C

Cynwri

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you! You answered my question and the link answered a couple other ones too. I appreciate your answer!

Reactions: Bears and Butters

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The watch later list is like a "holding" spot for someone to watch the video. You will only get the view if someone watches at least 30 seconds of your video. The traffic will show up in your analytics "Browse Features" if it was watched from a viewers "Watch Later" list.

Here is a really good breakdown and understanding of where your traffic comes from (including the watch later) and how it shows up in your traffic.

Hope this helps! :)

You are absolutely correct about this... but I would like to clarify one point. That is incorrect about the 30-second rule for a view... at least mostly. A view counts as soon as the viewer clicks/taps on the thumbnail. In fact there is some viewership metrics associated even when a video begins playing while you are scrolling through the various feeds, although I don't know to what extent (I'm confident watch time begins counting while scrolling, but I am unsure if it counts as a view or not).

However an Ad view requires thirty seconds in order for the creator to get credit and revenue for that ad.