• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Are watermarks worth it?

Desocrates

Are watermarks worth putting on my videos? I mean the default youTube ones in the youtube studio that let people hover over it and subscribe.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Completely personal opinion - I think watermarks that are channel logos are nice. The default not as much.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I ride the fence on watermarks. I don't really like them, but they do look kinda cool. So I have mine set at the 7 minute mark. That way I have it to look cool but only after someone has been around for a bit.

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The user has to see them for them to be impactful... so it's up to the creator. Sometimes a call for action is more useful than the watermark!! It's all personal preference :)

• Love
Reactions: Virtual Games

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I not only like the idea of watermarks in case my video or an image of it is used or shared and the logo becomes better know but I actually incorporated my logo watermark as part of my intro. I think it's a pretty cool animation that shows my skills.

TheShihTzuFamily

Recognized Member
This is what goggle say:

Not only does watermarking help with video theft protection, but a watermarked video will help increase brand recognition. By adding watermarks to every YouTube video, viewers will consistently see your brand and associate it with your video content.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Are watermarks worth putting on my videos? I mean the default youTube ones in the youtube studio that let people hover over it and subscribe.

I like it for the fact people can interact with it on YouTube, I don't hard embed the watermark, unless it's for a client, but otherwise I think for the YT feature it's good.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
As Andrew said, it's a way people can interact (and subscribe) on YouTube. I thought a cute little dinosaur play button subscribe call to action would be a fun bit of branding. It adds a little bit of personality, which in turn, could make it more likely someone gets curious, notices it, and clicks on it, potentially winning you another subscriber. Most of the time I find them kinda "meh" they're a business brand for most, so I pay no attention to them, BUT if you can do something clever of funny with yours, like I think I did with mine, it can be a little bit of extra personality.
watermark.PNG

I'm heavily considering hard watermarks, where you burn your watermark, typically into the bottom left corner to keep it out of the way, but also to "protect" your videos. In the art world, and everywhere for that matter, people WILL download and use your content, weather you allow it or not. Now, even with a watermark burned into the video, people can still edit the video to get rid of the watermark with a blur, BUT, if you're more keen to accept that sometimes people will just take your footage without permission... you might as well get some credit, and have your watermark in there so whenever they use your footage in other videos (especially in shorts or compilations) people will at least have a better idea of where that footage came from. This is why you see a lot of media adding their watermarks onto their footage burned in so they can get a little bit of extra credit when their content inevitably goes beyond what they can control. A lot more important for artists, and those who have sharable content, but if you can make it small and out of the way, I think most can get by with havving a small watermark in the side.

Have your watermark transparent at somewhere around 3%- 5% opacity, that usually keeps out of the way, but is still there, but of course, experiment to what works for you.

I've been dealing with watermarks for over 15 years, it's why McDonalds puts a little (c) or a little TM over everything, so you know it's there.

Reactions: TheShihTzuFamily

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
This is what goggle say:

Not only does watermarking help with video theft protection, but a watermarked video will help increase brand recognition. By adding watermarks to every YouTube video, viewers will consistently see your brand and associate it with your video content.

This is very true! Now to have a brand logo that looks amazing that's what I am working on next LOL

Reactions: TheShihTzuFamily