• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review How to get more subscribers to this channel?

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: ArtByLara
Title of thread: How to get more subscribers to this channel?
Self review: So I've been able to grow other people's channels by tens of thousands in a short time, but only when they've had over 10k in the first place. For me? Not so much, and I'm not sure what I'm doing (or not doing) wrong. Would love any feedback on the videos in general, ideas of where or what you think I'm doing wrong, or how I can improve. I'd love to get this thing up over 1k and start really using it to its full potential monetarily of course - but just feel crushed when I put up a new video and a week later it has 9 views. :/ Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions!
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://youtube.com/c/larakulpa
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/39736/post-127223

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
A few notes to start.

Your channel banner is not displaying right. It is cutting off the top text. I can't read what it says, which brings me to the next thing. I don't know your publish schedule. It is useful to have that in your banner.

Your Thumbnails are a bit all over the board. If they are effective and you are getting the CTR you expect, ignore the comment. If not, consider sticking to the format that drives the best CTR and continue to test and refine.

I would also look at optimizing your playlist. Timely video below:

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Lara, I checked out your channel. The videos are fine and I think for your niche, on point. Since your asking, your biggest stumbling block is repetition. You've a decent start on videos...but you don't post often enough to be discoverable. I don't think you need to do anything fancy...just do more. If you have to strip down production to get more videos out the door, do that. You're engaging and have something...PLUS, you're getting a TON of views...this is great.

Publish more videos, use the tools from TB. In particular, the SEO, and Tagging tools. Getting to 1k will get you paid...but it's a long steady climb...you'll get there, but keep going...AND capture more of what you love about art. It'll resonate.

OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
Lara, I checked out your channel. The videos are fine and I think for your niche, on point. Since your asking, your biggest stumbling block is repetition. You've a decent start on videos...but you don't post often enough to be discoverable. I don't think you need to do anything fancy...just do more. If you have to strip down production to get more videos out the door, do that. You're engaging and have something...PLUS, you're getting a TON of views...this is great.

Publish more videos, use the tools from TB. In particular, the SEO, and Tagging tools. Getting to 1k will get you paid...but it's a long steady climb...you'll get there, but keep going...AND capture more of what you love about art. It'll resonate.
Thanks so much, Pete! Do you think once a week is enough, or should I push myself to do more than that in order to get the content levels up, and then even it off later?

Reactions: Pete A Turner
OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
A few notes to start.

Your channel banner is not displaying right. It is cutting off the top text. I can't read what it says, which brings me to the next thing. I don't know your publish schedule. It is useful to have that in your banner.

Your Thumbnails are a bit all over the board. If they are effective and you are getting the CTR you expect, ignore the comment. If not, consider sticking to the format that drives the best CTR and continue to test and refine.

I would also look at optimizing your playlist. Timely video below:
Thank you so much! I actually just started looking at a video Andrew did about optimizing playlists and trying to implement those things. It's a bit time-consuming so it may take me a while, but I'll get there! The good news is that there isn't much here to re-do, so it'll be about keeping on top of it as I go. Thanks for the thoughts!

OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
Apparently, I'm terrible at creating channel art. I've used Canva now and tried to update it well, but it looks terrible on different devices. Blargh. And I don't know how I could possibly fit anything else in the viewable area, such as a publishing schedule. Double Blargh.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I would suggest going all-in on Searchable content... at least I maximize your SEO optimization and keyword research. Your channel is performing well for 64 subs so you know what you are doing. You just don't seem to be capitalizing on it.

Your thumbnails are very different from each other, and while I respect and appreciate variety and experimentation I suggest finding those top-3 performing thumbnails and reproducing/improving on them. CTR matters... a lot.

Of course I always encourage everyone to clip the drops in your retention; there is going to be a big drop in viewership at the beginning of your video, at the end and there may be one or two along the course of your video from time to time. Do what you can to eliminate these drops; give a powerful, exciting reason why the viewer should stick around in the first 8 seconds of the video to reduce that first drop, then cur your endscreens to 8 seconds and eliminate anything you say that lets the viewer know the video is about to end. This will cut off that drop of viewership at the end.

This improvement in retention and CTR combined with some rudimentary SEO and keyword research will having you ranking much better and will begin to build a foundation of views for evergreen performance.

As an answer to a previous question once per week is posting enough... more is better of course but once per week is fine; it all depends on what you are capable of doing and how much content your audience is able to consume.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Thanks so much, Pete! Do you think once a week is enough, or should I push myself to do more than that in order to get the content levels up, and then even it off later?
I think doing one good video a week. There's so much more to it than simply recording and producing. Get great at once a week, then go back and rework the old content. You'll find things that make that stale content fresh again. Only add more content in a week if you know what the audience craves. Until then...get in the lab and make a bunch of mistakes. It'll pay off

• Love
Reactions: ArtByLara
OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
I think doing one good video a week. There's so much more to it than simply recording and producing. Get great at once a week, then go back and rework the old content. You'll find things that make that stale content fresh again. Only add more content in a week if you know what the audience craves. Until then...get in the lab and make a bunch of mistakes. It'll pay off
Thanks so much, Pete. I still have stupid stuff happen like my phone dying in the middle of recording. Or I make a huge something and forget to hit the record button. Sometimes I feel like if my head weren't attached to my neck... lol

OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
I would suggest going all-in on Searchable content... at least I maximize your SEO optimization and keyword research. Your channel is performing well for 64 subs so you know what you are doing. You just don't seem to be capitalizing on it.

Your thumbnails are very different from each other, and while I respect and appreciate variety and experimentation I suggest finding those top-3 performing thumbnails and reproducing/improving on them. CTR matters... a lot.

Of course I always encourage everyone to clip the drops in your retention; there is going to be a big drop in viewership at the beginning of your video, at the end and there may be one or two along the course of your video from time to time. Do what you can to eliminate these drops; give a powerful, exciting reason why the viewer should stick around in the first 8 seconds of the video to reduce that first drop, then cur your endscreens to 8 seconds and eliminate anything you say that lets the viewer know the video is about to end. This will cut off that drop of viewership at the end.

This improvement in retention and CTR combined with some rudimentary SEO and keyword research will having you ranking much better and will begin to build a foundation of views for evergreen performance.

As an answer to a previous question once per week is posting enough... more is better of course but once per week is fine; it all depends on what you are capable of doing and how much content your audience is able to consume.

Thank you so much for all your feedback and suggestions! I really appreciate the advice and I will definitely spend some time working on these!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Pete A Turner

Known Member
Thanks so much, Pete. I still have stupid stuff happen like my phone dying in the middle of recording. Or I make a huge something and forget to hit the record button. Sometimes I feel like if my head weren't attached to my neck... lol
Good news is, we've all done these things. Don't be afraid to make a check list...or some sort of system to remember. You're processing a lot of info when you get ready to go live I have a song I sing...that makes the list automatic...then I double check.

• Love

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Apparently, I'm terrible at creating channel art. I've used Canva now and tried to update it well, but it looks terrible on different devices. Blargh. And I don't know how I could possibly fit anything else in the viewable area, such as a publishing schedule. Double Blargh.
Why don't you try Fiverr and to get a banner if you are not good at making one? Do insist that it's responsive so it looks good on any device especially mobile

GrowYourDough

Hi Lara,

I love the creative stuff you're doing.
I've been going to an art class for several years but I'm reasonably new at producing YT content so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.

The channel is ArtByLara ... I want to see more of you and build a relationship with you to keep me connected to the channel. Would you consider doing a short intro to camera for each video and perhaps bookend it with a close to camera?

The non-subscriber video (that plays automatically whena non-subscriber visits your channel) is a "My Favourites: White gel pen ..."

I think you're missing a trick to say "Hey I'm Lara thanks for dropping by my channel. Here's the sort of thing you'll find me doing here " and then hook me into the channel because whilst I might not be interested in a white gel pen you might be able to direct me to some content that will interest me before I click away.

I wonder who you target viewer is?

Art students?
Adults who love art?
Senior citizens?
Parents looking for content to entertain their kids?

Are the viewers tuning in to do art or just to watch you do art?
Does that make a difference in terms of the content you'd serve them?

Could you consider building playlists on a theme, e.g. a series on a medium (charcoal, ink, pastel, etc.) or a theme (flora, animals, portraits) or artist or style (still life, abstract, impressionism)

I'm not sure if that helps in any way

I wish you well for your channel

Warm regards
Phil

• Love
OP
OP
ArtByLara

ArtByLara

artbylara.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Lara,

I love the creative stuff you're doing. {...}

Thank you so much for the ideas and suggestions, Phil!
I do plan on doing a welcome video with my face and a description and such.
I'm really not set up in a good spot (lighting/background/etc) for that just yet, but it's definitely on my task list.

In regards to answering some of your (probably rhetorical but I'm gonna answer anyway) questions, I'm actually working more along the art/bullet journaling/lifestyle angle. I'm a mom, so naturally, I'm going to do things with my kid and so that others can do it too, but I'm also doing things with her just because it's fun and it doesn't take away from the "lesson" itself just because there's also a child doing it... if that makes sense?

I make art and use my creativity because I can't NOT make art and use my creativity. LOL So I wondered if others would be interested in seeing how I do it, so that maybe they can do it too. I'm planning on building a community and launching books and printables and all of that too - so there will be a section on me using them so others can see how useful they are and so on.

It's a mish-mash, I know. And maybe that's wrong, but I really can't pin my brain down onto one thing all the time for extended periods of time. Maybe that'll be where the playlists come in.

Anyway, thank you again so very much for taking the time to respond and help me answer a few questions! <3

Reactions: GrowYourDough

Ufri

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
At first I had 16k public watch hours. Every video gets a lot of views. But when I changed my account name my viewers didn't come back