• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Ad sense newly monetised channel 2 questions

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
So I hit the monetisation requirement

I'm in the UK [in case that is important]

I filled in the ad sense thing for YouTube... I applied for monetisation... and

About 12 hours later the channel was accepted into YT partner program

QUESTION ONE:

I thought they were meant to post a code to my physical address - it's about 2 - 3 weeks later. Nothing has come. Should I get something through the post?

QUESTION TWO:

I'm in the UK so won't pay the new US tax. Do I have to do something to set that up, and where is that page? Or is it done automatically as I have put that I am in the UK?

Thanks

xx

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
QUESTION ONE:

I thought they were meant to post a code to my physical address - it's about 2 - 3 weeks later. Nothing has come. Should I get something through the post?
It's been a few years since I did it, but I believe you should be getting a letter. It could take a month or more. I believe they send it FROM America, and it sometimes takes 2 months to ship things from America to Australia, sometimes sooner, and the same would probably to letters and mail too, especially with covid pandemic issues delaying a lot of mail. I think it took a while for them to send it to me, but I wasn't that bothered so I just waited. Not sure if that effects the monetisation side of things, I think it just effects the payout which you probably won't be getting for a little bit anyway because you don't start making any revenue until accepted, and $100 is the minimum payout threshold amount.

QUESTION TWO:

I'm in the UK so won't pay the new US tax. Do I have to do something to set that up, and where is that page? Or is it done automatically as I have put that I am in the UK?

Thanks

xx
You have to do it if you're outside of US. They will withhold any tax you get from American viewers. When you go into the adsense settings to provide your tax information (it's much better to do it directly through their page and not through any email... you SHOULD see a pinned message at the top indicating where you need to go)
This is where you put in your tax number or equivilant, Essentially the number you give your employers to fullfill your tax obligations, is the number you give Adsense. And you want to tick your tax treaty information. They automatically choose the right options which will probably be revolving around royalties. If you don't do the tax treaty, you might end up getting double taxed, taxed once for America, and taxed secondly in the UK. In Australia we have a tax treaty with America meaning instead of holding 25%, they hold 5% and then you pay your local taxes as you normally would.

I'm not an accountant, and I don't live in the UK so I don't know how the UK do tax, but I do know you'll have to fill out your tax info with adsense ESPECIALLY if you don't live in America now.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks

USA and UK it's 0% tax

So I have to do it on an adsense page - not sure if I need to wait for the letter... I'm already earning money, but obviously nowhere near $100...

Thanks for the help

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks

USA and UK it's 0% tax

So I have to do it on an adsense page - not sure if I need to wait for the letter... I'm already earning money, but obviously nowhere near $100...

Thanks for the help
From my understanding, you should be able to set up your tax and any other information weather you end up making any money or not. It's a bit like some merchandise print on demand businesses (which thanks to this tax requirement, has made it easier to figure that stuff out) and also applied to Amazon affiliates. Even if you haven't made any money and just starting up, you should still be able to fill in your information. It's all part of the setup stage. I believe the letter is just to confirm your physical address, but maybe they lock off most of the site until you've confrimed that, like some lock off their site until you confirm your email address. If it's there and available to you (should be under settings actually) just do it. But if you don't have it unlocked (the code mailed to you will confirm your address and possibly unlock things) then just wait it out.

Also, congrats on being accepted into the partner program :) it's exciting stuff, even with the complicated business stuff :p

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks...

I got to the W-8 BEN form but TBH don't really understand most the things it's asking form. I am a dunce when it comes to filling in these sorts of things.

I will have to ask my partner to sit down and 'help' [i.e. do it]

Thanks again xx

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't think you need to download the w-8 ben form as you can actually fill out those details automatically via the Adsense information. It SHOULD generate the necessary W-8 Ben form for you to submit.

It was tough for me initially, but if your partner can run you through it that also works :) All the best with it :)

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Yeah, it goes to a w-8 ben form on the adsense page

But, I just don't know what the questions they are asking... I mean I have no clue what they even want or where to find the answer, or what box I should click... [my partner hopefully can work it out]...

It's really not in my skill set...

oh and no clue why the font went big on my last post ... hmmm ... another thing not in my skill set x