• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Channel Category?

DoingLifeToday

www.DoLifeToday.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Everyone, on my channel I post Self Improvement and Personal Development Videos.

Should I classify these as How To's? Education? or Lifestyle?

Appreciate your feedback
Thanks

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It depends. How To's are basically a very specific type of educational video so, in essence, it would be both. Because the videos are of a personal nature Lifestyle would also count. The only way to be sure is if your goal is more specifically to be educational all around or to be more of a lifestyle channel all around. In other words, will you be doing mostly educational videos or will you be sharing interests and opinions about lifestyles? That will help you decide which is the best classification for your channel.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I would pick the one that maybe seems the more natural fit for what you do...

or throw a dart.

Thankfully this classification system makes very little impact on any of the results you see. Very few people actually go through the process of searching a video via narrowed search parameters. On top of that YouTube doesn't really take them into consideration for anything other than a narrowed-parameter search. When a viewer searches a topic YouTube takes into consideration their prior viewing habits; do they prefer long videos or short, do they like bright colors or a muted palette, do they prefer a female presenter or male... there is a LOT that goes into the search results provided (Suggested, Home and Browse are similar in this regard). These are the things that are going to be taken into consideration when YouTube is determining whether to surface your video to a viewer... not whether it is categorized as a Lifestyle or Educational video.

OP
OP
DoingLifeToday

DoingLifeToday

www.DoLifeToday.com
Subscriber Goal
I would pick the one that maybe seems the more natural fit for what you do...

or throw a dart.

Thankfully this classification system makes very little impact on any of the results you see. Very few people actually go through the process of searching a video via narrowed search parameters. On top of that YouTube doesn't really take them into consideration for anything other than a narrowed-parameter search. When a viewer searches a topic YouTube takes into consideration their prior viewing habits; do they prefer long videos or short, do they like bright colors or a muted palette, do they prefer a female presenter or male... there is a LOT that goes into the search results provided (Suggested, Home and Browse are similar in this regard). These are the things that are going to be taken into consideration when YouTube is determining whether to surface your video to a viewer... not whether it is categorized as a Lifestyle or Educational video.
Makes sense! Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If they're about Self, and Personal, my gut would tell me that's a Lifestyle topic.

How Tos seem to be more for arts and craft, making things etc, where as personal growth seems to be more a life and lifestyle thing. I mean, topic isn't super important, but I'd be more likely to put that under lifestyle.