• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Not Monetized... Yet Youtube Puts Ads on my Videos....

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
Youtube now puts ads on my videos, I didn't ask them too. Now people will less likely watch my videos and click off. Is this a cash grab by them???? Can I opt out???

ret3p

TubeBuddy User
ret3p.com
Subscriber Goal
Pretty sure it has always been like that. Preroll ads are common, even on new channels that aren't part of the YouTube Partner Program.

OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
Just started happening to my videos. I found a news article that stated: Nov 19, 2020 ΓÇö YouTube said in an update to its terms of service this week that it has the ΓÇ£right to monetizeΓÇ¥ all content on its platform.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is a new development for YouTube. They will be placing ads on any video they desire, regardless of the creators preference or YPP status (monetization). That is unfortunate, but actually carries a fairly silver lining. For starters this is more revenue for YouTube (in fact I believe 2021 Q1 was the best quarterly earnings they have ever posted). The more YouTube makes the more crumbs will be left for the creators. The other positive is that you don't need to worry about ads detracting your viewers from your content; they will be seeing ads on all videos now so yours is no different than anything else. And when you get monetized they will at that point be none the wiser. So you should feel zero guilt in collecting a check at that time!

Reactions: Avocado

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's an unfortunate situation which you have no control over outside of realising you're on rented land and they let you publish on their platform for free.
In the 1990's and early 2000's, it would cost hundreds of dollars to host, and post content to share out, so the fact we get to put content out for free and not even pay for the hosting is kinda nice, not to mention when you qualify, they give you a portion of the cut, but they don't HAVE to.

The unfortunate side is in a world of corporate competition, your competition CAN choose to put their ads specifically on your channel, and seeing you're under 1k subs, they know you'll have no choice in the matter.

An unfortunate choice, but that's what you get by publishing content on a platform you don't have control over.

Reactions: Avocado
OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
Actually, this was news a few months ago. YouTube was going to put ads on non monetized channels as well. The video below from Roberto explains this change.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRzn2ScWco

Just watched it... Such a bummer..
This is a new development for YouTube. They will be placing ads on any video they desire, regardless of the creators preference or YPP status (monetization). That is unfortunate, but actually carries a fairly silver lining. For starters this is more revenue for YouTube (in fact I believe 2021 Q1 was the best quarterly earnings they have ever posted). The more YouTube makes the more crumbs will be left for the creators. The other positive is that you don't need to worry about ads detracting your viewers from your content; they will be seeing ads on all videos now so yours is no different than anything else. And when you get monetized they will at that point be none the wiser. So you should feel zero guilt in collecting a check at that time!

I am playing make up, I was soooo close to getting monetized. Then the 365 day mark passed in Dec. Now I am fighting to keep my numbers up. :(
It's an unfortunate situation which you have no control over outside of realising you're on rented land and they let you publish on their platform for free.
In the 1990's and early 2000's, it would cost hundreds of dollars to host, and post content to share out, so the fact we get to put content out for free and not even pay for the hosting is kinda nice, not to mention when you qualify, they give you a portion of the cut, but they don't HAVE to.

The unfortunate side is in a world of corporate competition, your competition CAN choose to put their ads specifically on your channel, and seeing you're under 1k subs, they know you'll have no choice in the matter.

An unfortunate choice, but that's what you get by publishing content on a platform you don't have control over.

I just hope I don't loose viewers or potential subscribers. Ads are a turn off...

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Just watched it... Such a bummer..

I am playing make up, I was soooo close to getting monetized. Then the 365 day mark passed in Dec. Now I am fighting to keep my numbers up. :(

I just hope I don't loose viewers or potential subscribers. Ads are a turn off...
You won't lose anything. We've seen these changes before, and we will see more again in the future. It's all part of the game. And as far as your 365 day mark don't sweat that either... you are never further than a single video away from getting bumped over the threshhold.

OP
OP
Avocado

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
You won't lose anything. We've seen these changes before, and we will see more again in the future. It's all part of the game. And as far as your 365 day mark don't sweat that either... you are never further than a single video away from getting bumped over the threshhold.
I hope! I just need one breakthrough video!