• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Started a new series on my channel. Does it work for you?

minusthirtyfilms

TubeBuddy Pro
www.minusthirtyfilms.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: minusthirtyfilms
Title of thread: Started a new series on my channel. Does it work for you?
Self review: My cooking channel is about shwoing how recieps actually turn out for cooks at home, along with some fun mixed in. I decided to satrt a reoccuring segment that focuses specifically on one cook book. I'm looking for feedback on if this is a good concept, as well as how idea has been implemented? The video is simple, but the coverage and work required is a lot for one person, basically, is it worth it for a simple cooking show?
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/iNCIgAEUYg4

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/39543/post-126198

Reactions: Tropical Sounds

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Your production quality remains very high. I think you are still taking a bit of a "tv" approach to the structure which is not always best for YouTube. I think you could cut the intro and start where you are on the floor with the dog saying "well peanut butter is done" as it gets to the topic fast.

I think the thing that is counterintuitive for those of us that have worked in production is that a lot of the normal conventions are different on YouTube. If I can be bold, I would really recommend taking a look at the book "Hook Point" by Brenden Kane. He actually comes out of the film industry and does an amazing job of explaining the differences between the online "social" video conventions over traditional.

I say this out of empathy. I did the same thing. I made videos with bumpers, etc. and learned the hard way that I needed to rethink how I structured content to improve my performance on YouTube.

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Chris,

This is a really good concept. For a couple of reasons. 1. it will provide you with content that is consistent and your viewers can follow along and don't have to guess what they are doing next. Second, this will help you to have times where you don't have to do a tonne of research on a topic and will give you a bit of a break but still give you the ability to provide content. I like the idea of a series and letting your audience know that is what is happening. Production on this is really well done as well!

Cheers
Nate

Reactions: minusthirtyfilms
OP
OP
minusthirtyfilms

minusthirtyfilms

TubeBuddy Pro
www.minusthirtyfilms.com
Subscriber Goal
Your production quality remains very high. I think you are still taking a bit of a "tv" approach to the structure which is not always best for YouTube. I think you could cut the intro and start where you are on the floor with the dog saying "well peanut butter is done" as it gets to the topic fast.

I think the thing that is counterintuitive for those of us that have worked in production is that a lot of the normal conventions are different on YouTube. If I can be bold, I would really recommend taking a look at the book "Hook Point" by Brenden Kane. He actually comes out of the film industry and does an amazing job of explaining the differences between the online "social" video conventions over traditional.

I say this out of empathy. I did the same thing. I made videos with bumpers, etc. and learned the hard way that I needed to rethink how I structured content to improve my performance on YouTube.
Thanks for taking the time to check out the video. I'll definitely look into The Hook. Part of me wants to optimize my videos as much as possible, the other part wants me to make the stuff I like. I do very much appreciate the insight. Thanks again,

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for taking the time to check out the video. I'll definitely look into The Hook. Part of me wants to optimize my videos as much as possible, the other part wants me to make the stuff I like. I do very much appreciate the insight. Thanks again,
You don't begin to know how much I empathize...

And here is the real-wold experiment I did. I used a standard 12 second bumper in all of my early videos. I have a fairly large view drop off about 5-10 seconds into the bumper. So I experimented with keeping the structure (hook, bumper, content, end), but I went to a 3 second bumper and keep the hook as short as possible. It had a very positive impact on both views and AVD. I also experimented with starting with a 3 second bumper, hook, content and end and it also had a positive impact on both views and AVD.

The difference was so significant, I am currently planning to "redo" a selection of my early videos using a more "YouTube" structure to see how they do.

I'm not saying that is 100% right, but the more I've grown to understand the attention economy, the more I believe it is the right approach.

AnnysKoreanLife

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hello Chris!

We are Malay and Korean international couple who started our YouTube recently.

We were amazed by the photography and edit.
You must put a lot of efforts on your content, especially with script.
We see that each scene was planed thoroughly with care.

Here are our feedback on your video.

(1) As SILTHW mentioned, a 'hook' in those 10 seconds seems to be very needed to take your viewers keep watching and understand the concept of your channel, as your channel has very unique concept.

(2) About the concept, we think you should balance your concept between 'cook' and 'story'. As a creator, we REALLY understand that you have tons of stories that you want to fit in your video. However, if the contents is about 'cooking', they should be more focused on cooking. As we said above, your channel has very unique identity which combines 'cooking' with 'story'. If you balance them well, we believe the views will skyrocket!

Of course, these are our personal opinions, so please ignore the ones that you don't like.

We will look forward to your next video!

• Love

Miwa Kaur

www.miwakaur.com
Subscriber Goal
I think it is a great idea that you pick a cookbook and start a series. There is a wide variety of cooking shows so it will help narrow down your niche and reach your audience via social media etc. I have a cooking show as well but mine is vegan mostly made from scratch so I have a completely different audience from yours. Quality of your video is great. Good luck!