• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Why Bots cause your View and Subs to change

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hey everyone,

We get frequent questions about people's subscriber and view count fluctuating. People see us respond that YouTube frequently purges bots and this happens to everyone. But sometimes that answer feels a little "insufficient". I wanted to take a moment to provide a bit more detail on what is happening.

First, what is a bot? These are programs designed to do something automatically. The bots that target YouTube are typically "ad bots" or "malware bots" and are trying to drive people to click on links to either (1) drive ad "click" revenue, (2) install malware, or (3) advertise a product or service (CBD and supplements are common). There are many other types of bots, but these are the most active ones on YouTube.

How do they work? Well, the bot owner creates a YouTube account for the bot. They usually put up a few videos (usually stolen, or content pointing to products or malware) and do a basic customization of the channel. They then have the bot scan around and post links to the comments section of a channel's videos. They may also subscribe and set a notification on that channel so that the bot can add its comment to any new videos that are posted. That means when a bot scans your channel, it registers as a "view" of your video. It also means it may be artificially increasing your subscriber number.

Most bot owners don't just run one bot at a time. They run many, sometimes hundreds or thousands at a time. They do this because they realize there is only a small amount of time before either the bot's account is reported for SPAM, or YouTube's system catches it. What is important to know is that YouTube will always eventually catch the bots. When they do, they purge the bots. Doing so removes the bot's channel, any comments the bot has posted, any views the bot has performed and any subscriptions the bot had registered. YouTube can use their very sophisticated machine learning tools to identify multiple bots from the behavior of one bot, so often they are removing thousands, if not tens of thousands of bots at a time.

This impacts you. It would be very rare for you to get activity from only one bot. Usually the same technique used to find your channel is shared across bots, so you are very likely to be hit by multiple bots from the same "bad guy". While this happens to everyone, removing 50 views from a channel with 100,000 views is small, but removing 50 views from a channel with 200 views is big. Likewise, removing 20 subs from a channel with 5000 subs is small, but removing 20 subs from a channel with 100 subs is a big deal.

How can you help reduce the problem? First, the bots won't bother with you if they can't post to your comments. Ensuring you have the setting turned on that prevents the posting of URLs is a great way to reduce bot activity. You may still get some views from bots, but you aren't likely to get subs from bots if they can't post to your comments. Likewise you can setup word filters that prevent comments with common SPAM phrases like CBD, sub4sub, hug4hug, supplement, etc.

I hope this helps! If you see someone post a question about subs and views being removed, point them to this post for an explanation.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a great article (forum post? lol)! Definitely agree on turning off the option to let people post URLs in your comment section.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
How do they work? Well, the bot owner creates a YouTube account for the bot. They usually put up a few videos (usually stolen, or content pointing to products or malware) and do a basic customization of the channel. They then have the bot scan around and post links to the comments section of a channel's videos. They may also subscribe and set a notification on that channel so that the bot can add its comment to any new videos that are posted. That means when a bot scans your channel, it registers as a "view" of your video. It also means it may be artificially increasing your subscriber number.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the sudden spike in bot comments also comes after the sudden spike of channels being taken over, usually via scam sponsor deals asking you to install and review software, or the good old "lots of spam videos, login to fix the issue" scam.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's a wider spreading issue, and looking at TeamYouTube's twitter responses, they're finding it incredibly difficult to get on top of it all.

Definitely the "easiest" option is to have a strong bad word filter, not just "subforsub" but "Sub4sub" "friend" etc, and I had the ability to post urls off for YEARS because I'm like "why would I want people to promote themselves in my comments for?" so I turned that off. Unfortunatly that option seems to be hidden deep within the gears that only more seasoned creators are even aware exist.

The problem is only going to skyrocket before it gets any better.

Also, have "dot" and "com" as a bad word. Bots can get past urls by simply saying "randomurl dot com" in the hopes someone might type that in manually.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Definitely the "easiest" option is to have a strong bad word filter, not just "subforsub" but "Sub4sub" "friend" etc, and I had the ability to post urls off for YEARS because I'm like "why would I want people to promote themselves in my comments for?" so I turned that off. Unfortunatly that option seems to be hidden deep within the gears that only more seasoned creators are even aware exist.
I find it even more impressive youtube systems are nowadays. My other channel have this one comment that is relevant to the video, but some of the word are a bad word, BUT it's a dialect word, what I mean by dialect word is that this word are uncommon to said among other people, and even there's no translation on google translate, more like a slang word, but a deep down slang word. Yet youtube hide this comment because of that word. Impressive.

Reactions: Beanie Draws