• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Do we really need to have our copyright policy ?

Sanjogita

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy User
TubeBuddy Pro
wordpress.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Tubebuddies,
Do we need to frame our copyright policy ?
What actually is the purpose of a copyright?

Waiting for your positive responses.

Thank you in advance
Sanjogita

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hi, the is a very country-specific question as the rules vary widely. I'm going to link something produced by the US Patent and Trademark Office on the legalities of "international copyrights". Note, here in the US, you are considered to have a copyright once you have created the content and there is no requirement to register a copyright. You can choose to register, but the registration is really only needed for litigation.

Reactions: Sanjogita

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I for one am totally support having a copyright enforcement on YouTube. I don't want people taking credit for my work. There are some issues with the way copyright issues are handled, but I 100% support having a copyright-enforcement system in place.

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You don't have to post your Copyright policy at all.. there is a setting when you're posting a video that it's your content and not creative commons.

If you really delve more into Copyrights and the enforcement... from what we have found is that it is at the expense of someone who has the financial means to pursue it. Majority of small time creators aren't going to be able to financially afford to take someone to court over using their video that gets a few hundred views. Now taking someone's entire work and using it as your own we think is just plain wrong, and at least there is a way to "deter" people by using the copyright system and flagging the content, and thus warning someone through copyright strikes and giving them the option to take it down...

It's basically saying... Hey.. I know you're using my content... please take it down.. and yes you'll get a YouTube strike, but legally, you would have to financially pursue it yourself.

But if someone decided to take a snippet of our content and put it in their video we would just be thankful for the publicity good or bad LOLOLOL!!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Tubebuddies,
Do we need to frame our copyright policy ?
What actually is the purpose of a copyright?

Waiting for your positive responses.

Thank you in advance
Sanjogita
Are you talking about your copyright policy from a company standpoint, or a creator standpoint? If it's from a business standpoint, that would really be better off talked to with a lawyer considering copyright is a very tricky topic sometimes.

If you're talking from a creator standpoint where you don't mind people using your content. You have the option to set your content to creative commons. That's a universally understood creative way of saying "do what you want with my content"

Just keep in mind, if you're using any part of other people's content in your own content, especially drum loops or samples, you can't always give out full consent to use your content.

BUT if you are USING other people's content and simply saying "this content doesn't belong to me" generally publishers don't accept that as a reasonable excuse to use their content, but everyone treats their own ownership differantly.

OP
OP
Sanjogita

Sanjogita

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy User
TubeBuddy Pro
wordpress.com
Subscriber Goal
Are you talking about your copyright policy from a company standpoint, or a creator standpoint? If it's from a business standpoint, that would really be better off talked to with a lawyer considering copyright is a very tricky topic sometimes.

If you're talking from a creator standpoint where you don't mind people using your content. You have the option to set your content to creative commons. That's a universally understood creative way of saying "do what you want with my content"

Just keep in mind, if you're using any part of other people's content in your own content, especially drum loops or samples, you can't always give out full consent to use your content.

BUT if you are USING other people's content and simply saying "this content doesn't belong to me" generally publishers don't accept that as a reasonable excuse to use their content, but everyone treats their own ownership differantly.
Thankyou again

OP
OP
Sanjogita

Sanjogita

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy User
TubeBuddy Pro
wordpress.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi, the is a very country-specific question as the rules vary widely. I'm going to link something produced by the US Patent and Trademark Office on the legalities of "international copyrights". Note, here in the US, you are considered to have a copyright once you have created the content and there is no requirement to register a copyright. You can choose to register, but the registration is really only needed for litigation.

Thank you

OP
OP
Sanjogita

Sanjogita

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy User
TubeBuddy Pro
wordpress.com
Subscriber Goal
You don't have to post your Copyright policy at all.. there is a setting when you're posting a video that it's your content and not creative commons.

If you really delve more into Copyrights and the enforcement... from what we have found is that it is at the expense of someone who has the financial means to pursue it. Majority of small time creators aren't going to be able to financially afford to take someone to court over using their video that gets a few hundred views. Now taking someone's entire work and using it as your own we think is just plain wrong, and at least there is a way to "deter" people by using the copyright system and flagging the content, and thus warning someone through copyright strikes and giving them the option to take it down...

It's basically saying... Hey.. I know you're using my content... please take it down.. and yes you'll get a YouTube strike, but legally, you would have to financially pursue it yourself.

But if someone decided to take a snippet of our content and put it in their video we would just be thankful for the publicity good or bad LOLOLOL!!
Thank you