• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What did people find worked at the beginning or working right now

Chrissie

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
To be clear this question is directed at small YouTubers for what works now and small / big YouTubers for for what worked at the beginning.

I just wanted to know what kind of content gained a small increase in subscribers.

I'm not looking for a video 'that gained loads and loads of followers' as that is a generic question asked all the time.

But I'm looking for themes or categories that YouTubers utilised at the beginning or now that worked for them and gave them a foundation to build on.

I get that it is very much about the content the individual youtuber produces and the quality.

But sometimes a particular range or style of video is popular and people utilise this to make content people will like and subscribe to.

But also I didn't just want a broad category like 'gaming' more specific and what spins you can put on it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you very much !

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I can say personally, before 2018, quality didn't really matter. It was the views that mattered and the likes.

What backs this theory up? Well the fact my watch time has been consistently pretty low (roughly 10%) yet my suggested traffic was always my highest analytic, this was before I even knew how to look at analytics. It seemed back then, as long as the title was good enough, it didn't matter if the video actually got watched all that much, the thumb and title was enough to get people clicking, and as long as people clicked, the video would get pushed out more. The more views, the more it would get pushed.

Fast forward to these days, average view duration is important. If a video has a high amount of watch time, it's more likely that the video will get suggested more. If the video doesn't have much watch time, youtube deems it as a low quality viewing experience, and doesn't try that hard to push videos out if people aren't going to watch it.

Pre-2018 there wasn't really 1k sub limit to get into the YPP, so there was less desperation to get subs, and it was more about views. These days because YouTube have put subcount numbers as a doorway to entry, people are desperate for the subcount when they should be focusing on the quality of content instead.

In 2016 I just churned out a lot of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World content. My titles and thumbnails were enough to get into search, but I really wasn't optimising that much for search with my bad 1 words tags, so lucky my titles were searchable enough. People wanted to draw spinosaurus and mosasaurus, and I had videos on how to do that.

I'm kinda trying to get back to my older style of video, just with better editing to see if I can get back those "older day" traction.

jamesjack

I can say personally, before 2018, quality didn't really matter. It was the views that mattered and the likes.

What backs this theory up? Well the fact my watch time has been consistently pretty low (roughly 10%) yet my suggested traffic was always my highest analytic, this was before I even knew how to look at analytics. It seemed back then, as long as the title was good enough, it didn't matter if the video actually got watched all that much, the thumb and title was enough to get people clicking, and as long as people clicked, the video would get pushed out more. The more views, the more it would get pushed.

Fast forward to these days, average view duration is important. If a video has a high amount of watch time, it's more likely that the video will get suggested more. If the video doesn't have much watch time, youtube deems it as a low quality viewing experience, and doesn't try that hard to omegle push videos out if people aren't going to watch it.

Pre-2018 there wasn't really 1k sub limit to get into the YPP, so there was less desperation to get subs, and it was more about views. These days because YouTube have put subcount numbers as a doorway to entry, people are desperate omegle for the subcount when they should be focusing on the quality of content instead.

In 2016 I just churned out a lot of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World content. My titles and thumbnails were enough to get into search, but I really wasn't optimising that much for search with my bad 1 words tags, so lucky my titles were searchable enough. People wanted to draw spinosaurus and mosasaurus, and I had videos on how to do that.

I'm kinda trying to get back to my older style of video, just with better editing to see if I can get back those "older day" traction.
Hmm its okay ...While practical concerns like a busy schedule or poor health can make exercise more challenging, for most of us, the biggest barriers are mental. Maybe itΓÇÖs a lack of self-confidence that keeps you from taking positive steps, or your motivation quickly flames out, or you get easily discouraged and give up. WeΓÇÖve all been there at some point.