• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Newbie monetization question--where to put ads, what kind etc.

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So, I just got monetized, and I have question regarding what strategies people use when selecting ads and ad types. I don't want to inundate the viewer with ads, and I'm not a huge fan of a bajillion mid-roll ads either.
  • How do you approach ads?
  • Where do you put them?
  • What kind do you use?
  • Are there any you just outright never use, etc?
Any tips are greatly appreciative. I don't want to alienate the viewer or piss them off b/c of too many ads, but I'd also like to start earning revenue.
Thanks and here's what the ad window looks like for selection.
1617814958756.png

Bears and Butters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Some other creators we know will run full ads on their videos... as they have said most viewers expect ads anyway, or they have an adblocker so they don't get your ads. One key, is to not overstack your videos with mid-roll adds. You don't want to be 5 mid-roll ads on an 8 minute video. Depending on the video.. we'll opt out of the banner ads... they just are annoying. We also don't like to run unskippable.. we had complaints from viewers that a 15 minute video was getting a 45 minute ad.

OP
OP
MiddleofKnowhere

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Some other creators we know will run full ads on their videos... as they have said most viewers expect ads anyway, or they have an adblocker so they don't get your ads. One key, is to not overstack your videos with mid-roll adds. You don't want to be 5 mid-roll ads on an 8 minute video. Depending on the video.. we'll opt out of the banner ads... they just are annoying. We also don't like to run unskippable.. we had complaints from viewers that a 15 minute video was getting a 45 minute ad.
wow a 45min un-skippable? That's terrible! Yeah my big fear about mid-roll ads on auto is that YT will insert a bajillion of them.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
From viewers perspective, I don't mind with ads, as long as it's skippable

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I had thought the unskippable had time limits, thatΓÇÖs crazy