• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Should I show low subscriber counts?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hi Dimi Hard, You were the only one who had the idea of a video with a test to show or not show low sub counts before you get big. Do you know how I would get the "big guys" to weigh in? Thanks for your input -- what decision would you make for yourself if you couldn't do a test?
You are asking a question that seems to be very niche and audience-specific.

While I agree with the Roberto Blake line above, it would be silly to ignore that people know Roberto Blake and knew he was starting his music channel. Likewise, people who are "experts" and to get ignored if they hid their subscriber count, as people assume (rightly or wrongly) that if they aren't showing their sub count it must mean people aren't subscribing and they must not be the best expert on the subject.

But for other types - vlogs, etc. it may not matter. Best thing is to experiment and see what works for you.

I can only speak for my own behavior, but I don't watch videos from channels with hidden sub counts.

• Wow
Reactions: IleneSkeen
OP
OP
IleneSkeen

IleneSkeen

You are asking a question that seems to be very niche and audience-specific.

While I agree with the Roberto Blake line above, it would be silly to ignore that people know Roberto Blake and knew he was starting his music channel. Likewise, people who are "experts" and to get ignored if they hid their subscriber count, as people assume (rightly or wrongly) that if they aren't showing their sub count it must mean people aren't subscribing and they must not be the best expert on the subject.

But for other types - vlogs, etc. it may not matter. The best thing is to experiment and see what works for you.

I can only speak for my own behavior, but I don't watch videos from channels with hidden sub counts.
That nails it! Thanks, SILTHW. I appreciate your making the distinction between known and unknown people. I also appreciate your adding your personal behavior and your saying, "I don't watch videos from channels with hidden sub counts."

Just to wrap up, I did follow the general advice, and my subscriber count did start to creep up, so I'm going to just keep at it.

Dandy Coward

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
No
Looking for opinions. I have a pitiful number of subscribers (less than 50). Right now I hide the number of subscribers. Is this a good policy or a bad one?
No,hiding subscribers count isn't good,people subscribe to your channel depending on how they get impressed with your content when they watch it
I never hid my subscribers starting from 0 but now I have 550subscribers.
I used to think of doing it but I just ignored but I have gained all these subscribers without hiding the count.
please dont do it,just continue creating content.....

Apin89

Subscriber Goal
Looking for opinions. I have a pitiful number of subscribers (less than 50). Right now I hide the number of subscribers. Is this a good policy or a bad one?
As a viewer I appreciate YouTubers who display their subscriber count more, regardless of the number, I still choose to subscribe or not based on my interest in the channel in general, sometimes 1 or 2 videos are enough for me to subscribe to a channel

Harpyjessy

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Personally, i like seeing the progress of a youtube oage wgen i suscribe especially if it goes from ending with 9 to ending with 0. Its so satisfying. For examole going from 99 to 100 after i sub. I think you should show it

OP
OP
IleneSkeen

IleneSkeen

Roberto Blake made a test on a new channel and found out that he gained a bit more subs when he hid the stats from the public.
It could be interesting with a TubeBuddy/Roberto Blake in-depth video around his small experiment *hint hint* @Andrew and @RobBalasabas
Hi Dimi Hard, You were the only one who had the idea of a video with a test to show or not show low sub counts before you get big. Do you know how I would get the "big guys" to weigh in? Thanks for your input -- what decision would you make for yourself if you couldn't do a test?

Dimi

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
"Starting on July 29, 2022, channels will no longer be able to hide their subscriber count on YouTube"

- YouTube Studio Pop-up.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
"Starting on July 29, 2022, channels will no longer be able to hide their subscriber count on YouTube"

- YouTube Studio Pop-up.
Yeah, I just that announced today on the Creator Insider channel. It is to try and limit the channels pretending to be someone else. They are also limiting the character set available for channel names, for the same reason.
Small update, but some good stuff. They have an experimental setting to make the spam filter more stringent (I immediately activated that).

Reactions: Dimi

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am happy with the upcoming YT changes. YT spam and impersonations is out of control. And this whole thing about some people hiding their subscriber counts entirely never sat well with me.

Now if they can overhaul the horrendous commenting system, I can really get excited!

OP
OP
IleneSkeen

IleneSkeen

Right after I posted my question here, Stanley Orchard of TubeBuddy wrote me this privately:

Sorry, this got sent back to the general support technicians. I read what you said, and I wanted to express to you that you have nothing to be embarrassed. Everybody has to go through that and it is not a metric by which anyone gets to judge you. In fact, anyone who even tries should be directed to the fact that despite just 38 subscribers you have amassed nearly 15,000 views. THAT is something to be proud of. You should brag about it, not hide it.

THANK YOU, Stanley, and TubeBuddy. I think TubeBuddy is terrific!

DIMTIPS

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I totally agree. I was once in the same position and each subscribers should be a proud moment. I remember how much of a struggle it was to get 10 subscribers. Well done for getting this far.

Dimi

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Roberto Blake made a test on a new channel and found out that he gained a bit more subs when he hid the stats from the public.
It could be interesting with a TubeBuddy/Roberto Blake in-depth video around his small experiment *hint hint* @Andrew and @RobBalasabas

• Haha
Reactions: LoFi Rising

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
When I got my first 50-100 subscribers, I was soooo happy I shouted out to the world! Then more subscribers came!

I started a second channel that has only 200 subs right now (for all my shorts) and I am okay with showing everyone! Some may look at it and say, "I want to help!". That is what I think. :)

Moochy

Subscriber Goal
Right after I posted my question here, Stanley Orchard of TubeBuddy wrote me this privately:

Sorry, this got sent back to the general support technicians. I read what you said, and I wanted to express to you that you have nothing to be embarrassed. Everybody has to go through that and it is not a metric by which anyone gets to judge you. In fact, anyone who even tries should be directed to the fact that despite just 38 subscribers you have amassed nearly 15,000 views. THAT is something to be proud of. You should brag about it, not hide it.

THANK YOU, Stanley, and TubeBuddy. I think TubeBuddy is terrific!
Thats a beautiful response, I have less than 10 suscribers lol and I celebrate every single subscriber I get. Its part of the journe