• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Getting Back Out There

Pete A Turner

Known Member
When I built the Break It Down Show, part of what I wanted to bring to my audience was my experience as an Army spy. When I was deployed, I'd go out into town every day, and have conversations with people. It's simple to set up a home studio and have folks come to you...and now to just pop in on a laptop...but that, I'd suggest isn't the best way to reach the person...and therefore, inspire the audience. My show mirrors what I did overseas, and the dividends are life changing. While I track sub, revenue...what drives me are the experiences and opportunities. Focusing on subs demands that the YT creator ignore other things that are more valuable. Get away from your computer and get out and create!!!

When I think about producing a show, and I've produced 1000 episodes, this desire to go to the subject, to record in their "dojo" has separated me from my peers. It's gotten me, ungettable guests, it's connected me more deeply to them...and paid off in terms of audience members. **Caveat: My TY channel isn't as big as my podcast...but YT is now my main effort.** For years, I focused on the audio-only side. Now that video is the industry standard-and COVID-19 limitations are receding, I had to design a remote kit to being video on the road.

No matter what, when you go on the road, you have to make compromises and plan for contingencies. For me my watch words are: portability, mobility, professional and reduced variables. Being 100, the challenges of doing remotes requires resilience and a comfort with uncertainty that most folks haven't developed. However, it is possible
and I recommend it if your niche obliges.

My set up is "simple" it takes me about 20 mins, of unhurried but focused work. It doesn't quite fit into a backpack...but it's close. I have another mobile rig I'll testing...I'll update when I've got more field shows in the bag. It's great to get out!!! I can't wait to do more.

Does anyone else do mobile recording sessions?
Pete at Bastards.jpg

DIMTIPS

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi Pete, this is something I have been trying to decide on whether to do for sometime. In my niche, I could see the l value in discussing common issues but having regular guests may become difficult. How do you cope with discussion points, guest and engagement? Thank you for a great post.

OP
OP
Pete A Turner

Pete A Turner

Known Member
For me, the discussion isn't a problem, but understand, this is exactly what my experience is in accomplishing. Obviously, you've got to develop your complete guest engagement plan...but that's as simple as beginning and evolving. The interview part, that does require some dedicated development. the next level is determining what type of format/segments you want to do...glad to discuss any of this with you.

The gear is really really important too...ti's easy to underestimate what it takes to create an elegant solution for mobile recording...every one has their pet fav things...for me again portable and mobile dominate...then reducing variables...we have a good time...but damn it's a lot of reproduction work to get things set up.

Reactions: DIMTIPS