• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Done is better than Perfect struggles.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a new double edged sword I now face.

I keep telling people to make better videos. I hear other people telling others to make better videos. "The best way to grow is to make better videos"
We need to be focusing on making sure our intros are on point, and by intros, I just mean the first 10 seconds, not an actual intro animation. Your editing needs to be on point. You need to be telling the right story within x amount of time. You need to "kill your darlings". You need the video to be as to the point as possible. You need good sound, you need good lighting, no clutter. Make things more interesting with b roll...

I have all these messeges rolling through my brain of how to make a video better, knowing that some of my videos simply won't be able to be better... which makes me wonder what's even the point in uploading.

"Done is better than perfect" is very true... but a done, sub par video, isn't going to do much for your channel (except those videos that take you 10 minutes to film, slap them together because you don't care, throw them out into the void for the sake of "content" and "having something done" and "consistency" and boom... that 10 minute fluff does better than the video that took you weeks to craft.

It gets annoying at time, the constant mental struggle to try and make better content, a better viewing experience. You get fed up so you throw out garbage and the garbage does better than your "good" videos. You then wonder "what IS a good video?" and it just leads to a lot of mixed messeges and confusion.

There's no real point to this post outside of airing the frustrations of a creator battling the balance between done, and "good content"
Who else feels that struggle.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

I keep telling people to make better videos. I hear other people telling others to make better videos. "The best way to grow is to make better videos"
We need to be focusing on making sure our intros are on point, and by intros, I just mean the first 10 seconds, not an actual intro animation. Your editing needs to be on point. You need to be telling the right story within x amount of time. You need to "kill your darlings". You need the video to be as to the point as possible. You need good sound, you need good lighting, no clutter. Make things more interesting with b roll...

I have all these messeges rolling through my brain of how to make a video better, knowing that some of my videos simply won't be able to be better... which makes me wonder what's even the point in uploading.

"Done is better than perfect" is very true... but a done, sub par video, isn't going to do much for your channel (except those videos that take you 10 minutes to film, slap them together because you don't care, throw them out into the void for the sake of "content" and "having something done" and "consistency" and boom... that 10 minute fluff does better than the video that took you weeks to craft.

It gets annoying at time, the constant mental struggle to try and make better content, a better viewing experience. You get fed up so you throw out garbage and the garbage does better than your "good" videos. You then wonder "what IS a good video?" and it just leads to a lot of mixed messeges and confusion.

There's no real point to this post outside of airing the frustrations of a creator battling the balance between done, and "good content"

Love this mindset, and glad the panel brought it up. It's been HUGE for me and helps me make more content. Glad you're having conversations about this.

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Love this mindset, and glad the panel brought it up. It's been HUGE for me and helps me make more content. Glad you're having conversations about this.
Yep! I love when listening to discussions that triggers more thought provoking conversations :) it was a great panel :)

Reactions: Damon

Ingrid Rodriguez

Subscriber Goal

I love this message. I think the best way to improve every video is to have a mentor and follow what she/he does best and make it better.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It really is such a battle and there is so much to think about all the time. It is one of those things where no matter what you do, you can always do more/do things differently

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is reminds of one of the suggestion about being a new youtuber I found it here, something like this "make a 100 low effort videos and see which one perform better, then make a new one but better from that".

Actually, I'm close to that "Done is better than perfect" mindset. But still I want to make a better videos, which I'm still currently learning what is a "better" videos for my channel. Because I believe that a "better" video wont be the same on every channel. Maybe it's "better" for my channel, doesn't mean that it will be "better" for someone else's channel. I guess the key here is the viewers perspective, not me as a creator.

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm trying to adopt ΓÇ£done is better than perfect but donΓÇÖt be so lazy that you donΓÇÖt improve things that are totally within your powerΓÇ¥

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Do this...go to larger channels and sort by oldest videos first and you'll see that people just learn as they go. Sure, having a million bucks and quality equipment would be beautiful! But some of us work 24/7 and have pennies at the end of the month. If you wait until all of your ducks are in a row then you won't learn and it may never happen.