• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Whats In A Name ?

heizenblog

Subscriber Goal
I've often wondered whether the channel name I choose will have a bearing on whether people click and view or not, should I change my channel name now to something that is more relevant to my subject matter? or just use my name for the channel ?

Whats everyones thoughts on this, I'm really curious as my channel currently only has 50 subs changing now probably wont have much, if any impact.

dolewhipdad

www.dolewhipdad.com
Subscriber Goal
How could the name NOT have an impact? And...why NOT have a name that gives a clue at least to the channels content?

It seems to me to be an easy way to give a potential viewer info.

OP
OP
heizenblog

heizenblog

Subscriber Goal
I see so many channels with rather unsual names (like mine) so feel I may need to alter this.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I guess it's a yes and no for me. Yes it's good for your new audience by looking at your channel name and they immediately know about your contents. No if you're already have a trademark for you channel name and people already knew about it. For example, Vsauce, it's not about sauce, but more into education and knowledge, or pewdiepie, most people know his contents is about game but also another things.

Goober

Subscriber Goal
I struggled with this before, when I first decided to do gaming videos I used my old gamertag whiskey avenger. I only have 23 subscribers, but I thought it wasn't the best name for the audience and if they saw it would they even know what I did? So I changed it to Goober goes gaming, and I am glad it did it now where im starting to put out more videos and I haven't really started growing yet. (Hope I worded that right.)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've often wondered whether the channel name I choose will have a bearing on whether people click and view or not, should I change my channel name now to something that is more relevant to my subject matter? or just use my name for the channel ?

Whats everyones thoughts on this, I'm really curious as my channel currently only has 50 subs changing now probably wont have much, if any impact.
I like the heizenblog name as a play on words and with the "blog" element, but with your name having "blog" in it, I see a lot of gaming, and not a lot of blogging going on. Also, to anyone who doesn't know who Heizenberg is, your name is going to be as difficult to remember and hard to spell as Barnecules (I still find it hard to spell his channel name) and the fact I only finally learned how to remember that it's boogie2988... but some names are awfully difficult to remember.

It's a catch 22. I like the name, but realistically, how much does your name have anything to do with what you actually do, and how much of it is just "cool" factor? But there's also a lot of average channel names that tell you exactly what they do, but the channel name doesn't have the "cool factor" to it. I'd argue my channel is one of them, but people have been calling me "Beanie" for so long that I've just stuck with it.

But realistically, when I read the name "heizenblog" I was expecting to see videos about breaking bad, or POSSIBLY on crime, but it seems you mostly do gaming, so there is quite a disconnect.

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I like my name as IΓÇÖm trying to build a brand. Luckily my title kind of describes what I do, but for my youtube profile name I added the tagline solely so that as I am interacting on youtube in other channels itΓÇÖs very clear I am a channel and not just a guy. I have already picked up some minor traffic just bwing out in the youtube space trying to learn youtube practices and people happen to see me

OP
OP
heizenblog

heizenblog

Subscriber Goal
I think as I've had the name heizenblog for what must be 15 + years now I'm going to keep it, Im just adding the gaming to it so its a little more relevent. So from this day forth I shall be known as Heizenblog Gaming :joy:

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think it also depends on how your content evolves over time e.g. I used to be called Kindred's Kitchen but then I decided I wanted to do more than just cooking videos and changed it to Kindred

OP
OP
heizenblog

heizenblog

Subscriber Goal
I think it also depends on how your content evolves over time e.g. I used to be called Kindred's Kitchen but then I decided I wanted to do more than just cooking videos and changed it to Kindred

Thats a good point, thankyou

TwistedPingu

michaeljackson.forumotion.net
Subscriber Goal
As i just create lyric videos it doesn't really matter to me, with my old channel name it hadnt nothing to do with lyric videos at all yet i managed to get 1000's subscribers... so with my new channel i just created a name i liked and hopefully the rest just works out in time.

I reckon if i or anyone was to have a overall theme e.g. a horror channel - then i'd make a name up a name i thought best suited horror.

DIMTIPS

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I used the acronym of Did It Myself Tips (DIMTips). However I am sure people associate DIM with stupid. So not sure if it was a great idea. That said I now have engagement and every communicates with me a DIM. Do not think it has had an impact on views but my content is varied so who know.

Reactions: heizenblog