• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Stop Being Lazy, Make The Effort

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
One thing I see most common from creators who wonder why they can't grow their channels is that they go around the Internet asking this question while showing they are not serious about being a creator because they can't even be bothered to do some of the most basic stuff, like adding an avatar to their profiles.

If your goal is to monetize your YouTube channel it should be obvious at this point that a monetized YouTube channel is basically a business and a business needs a brand that can distinguish it so it can stand out, be recognized, and become popular. But how can your brand be recognized and become popular if you're not advertising it? How can you be taken seriously when you're not even putting your brand on your profiles for others to see?

Think of it this way. How often do you see someone on Twitter respond to a tweet debating some topic like say, politics, and they don't have an avatar? How many times have you dismissed that comment because you didn't have a reason to believe the argument of someone who wouldn't even take the time to put an avatar on their profile. Or even a banner. You know how many YouTube channels I've seen that don't have banners? Why would you not create one, even just some random background for starters? This is often seen as a sign that the creator is not serious. If you can't even create a brand why would you bother making content worth watching?

So, if you want to be serious about being a creator, you need to be serious all around. Even if it's just a picture of you, an animal or a logo, make the effort to fill every part of your profile that can advertise your brand. An avatar, a banner, even the signature on your posts like mine below. Take every advantage you can to spread the word that you got a channel and you got content on it. Otherwise, your potential audience may not take you seriously enough to give you a chance.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
v true - a really good tip - thanks for sharing with us all. Branding is such an important part of YouTube

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I can not agree more. This mentality of overnight success is so wrong. That just isn't how things work.

ΓÇ£When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter
hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as
much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first
blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that last
blow that did it, but all that had gone before.ΓÇ¥

-Jacob Riis

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree 100%. Treat it like a business. Branding is vital. It's difficult to take anyone seriously when they plainly don't put in the effort. Creating or selecting an avatar is so basic, yet some people choose to ignore it.

Another thing that bugs me is the lack of consistency. There's another creator in my niche who talks about wanting to get monetized, yet hardly ever posts a video. They post willy nilly, with no set schedule. ΓÇì As a viewer, I take that to mean that they're not serious about creating content since they cannot be bothered to stick to any kind of schedule.

DIMTIPS

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Such a well thought out and informative article. It literally makes me look and the mirror and say are you serious. I would counteract with try to do your best and keep improving video by video. Rome wasn't built in a day. :yum