• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Click through rate and Average view duration

heizenblog

Subscriber Goal
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, what a good click through rate would be and also what sort of percentage is considered average or good for the Average View Duration. Obviously the higher the better, but just wondered what everyones opinion on this is.

Reactions: spookyboo

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Moving to the YouTube section since this isn't a TubeBuddy question.

@tropicthunder Answered on CTR. AVD should be 40% or better. The higher, the more of a chance that you will get a search and discovery boost.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You want your average view duration to be as high as possible. I constantly hear people say "at least 50% because if only half of your audience make it to the end, was it worth making the video at all?" but personally I find that mindset incredibly depressing.

THAT is why I instead prefer the mindset of "aim to have your next video's audience retention better than the last"
You always want to be aiming higher, but if you don't get any higher, don't let that depress, just means you want to try a different approach to get your next videos better.

I regularly have 10% audience retention, and that has made me incredibly depressed at times, but instead, I simply try to make my next video aim for 15%,then 20% then 30%... over time try to get your videos as high as possible, and with time and learning and experience, you WILL gradually get your audience retention higher and higher if you learn to analyse your videos watch time graphs and adjust accordingly.

As for CTR, they may say 2%-10% but I'd personally not want to go any lower than 4%. I try to make sure my thumbs stick to around 5% minimum, and if they don't, I try to change my thumbnails a bit. But sometimes a good thumbnail won't save a bad topic, and then no amount of title or thumbnail will boost the click through rate if the topic isn't interesting enough.
My GOOD performing videos get 6% consistently, and I'm hearing lots of rapidly growing channels manage to get 12% at times. so I'd strive for 6-12% personally. That's how I do it. 2% might be "average" but you don't want to be average, that's why you should AIM for something much higher, but also realistic as well. I like aiming for a consistent 5% minimum.

Reactions: tropicthunder

NanoniumTheDude

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
As far as AVP goes, it also depends on video length. getting 50% on a 1h video is far more impactful than 50% on a 1m video. Obviously, the general rule of thumb is higher is better, but inevitably longer videos will generally have a lower AVP.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
As far as AVP goes, it also depends on video length. getting 50% on a 1h video is far more impactful than 50% on a 1m video. Obviously, the general rule of thumb is higher is better, but inevitably longer videos will generally have a lower AVP.
This raises the question I sometimes have. What does YouTube deem as more important... an hour long video having received 30 minutes of watch time, vs 30 seconds of watch time.... or that 30 minutes of a video not being watched, is worse than 30 seconds not being watched.

So what's the more dominant state... the view duration, or the percentage completed? I would have thought 30 minutes not being watched of an hour long video, is technically a worse sign, than 30 seconds of a video not being watched, thus 50% of an hour long video is treated differently to 50% of a 1 minute video being completed.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This raises the question I sometimes have. What does YouTube deem as more important... an hour long video having received 30 minutes of watch time, vs 30 seconds of watch time.... or that 30 minutes of a video not being watched, is worse than 30 seconds not being watched.

So what's the more dominant state... the view duration, or the percentage completed? I would have thought 30 minutes not being watched of an hour long video, is technically a worse sign, than 30 seconds of a video not being watched, thus 50% of an hour long video is treated differently to 50% of a 1 minute video being completed.
From my experience, I only know about this is that longer video duration is good for watch hours, other than that I don't know. I want to know too.

Also, does Youtube treat differently about this thing with #Shorts videos format?, which is new.

Drscottbland

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You want your average view duration to be as high as possible. I constantly hear people say "at least 50% because if only half of your audience make it to the end, was it worth making the video at all?" but personally I find that mindset incredibly depressing.

THAT is why I instead prefer the mindset of "aim to have your next video's audience retention better than the last"
You always want to be aiming higher, but if you don't get any higher, don't let that depress, just means you want to try a different approach to get your next videos better.

I regularly have 10% audience retention, and that has made me incredibly depressed at times, but instead, I simply try to make my next video aim for 15%,then 20% then 30%... over time try to get your videos as high as possible, and with time and learning and experience, you WILL gradually get your audience retention higher and higher if you learn to analyse your videos watch time graphs and adjust accordingly.

As for CTR, they may say 2%-10% but I'd personally not want to go any lower than 4%. I try to make sure my thumbs stick to around 5% minimum, and if they don't, I try to change my thumbnails a bit. But sometimes a good thumbnail won't save a bad topic, and then no amount of title or thumbnail will boost the click through rate if the topic isn't interesting enough.
My GOOD performing videos get 6% consistently, and I'm hearing lots of rapidly growing channels manage to get 12% at times. so I'd strive for 6-12% personally. That's how I do it. 2% might be "average" but you don't want to be average, that's why you should AIM for something much higher, but also realistic as well. I like aiming for a consistent 5% minimum.
Yeah itΓÇÖs been an issue for me because medical topics have so many caveats that are critical to some people and meaningless to most. I did better with adding chapters, IΓÇÖm stopping my 2-3 second verbal intro (huge dropoff in views), and IΓÇÖm going to start using my broll to try and mix up the attention span. That view duration isnΓÇÖt easy or everyone would have it

Reactions: heizenblog

DIMTIPS

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Some excellent points raised by many. I have an average CTR OF 7.1. that said my worst performer has a CTR of 1.5 and best 10.1. The thumbnails are similar between the top rated and least rated as I like to keep consistent. I think there must be some weight behind view time and length which have a factor. Also my content early on was really poor. Now mildly better and improving everytime.

Attachments

• 20210401_161124.jpg
    20210401_161124.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: heizenblog

MuhammaRashedulIslam

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
according to youtube "Half of all channels and videos on YouTube have an impressions CTR that can range between 2% and 10%. may be average of 2 and 10 % or above is good