• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How to increase editing time? (Serious)

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hello TubeBuddy community!
I've been editing for a while now max editing experience is 2 years. And recently while doing the same as usual editing a new video i noticed that i spend max 2-3 hours editing that video (Making some cuts,colour grading,adding text,outro, making some small adjustments and done) The time i put in editing and the efford to edit seems to me very little . So i came here to ask for help.This may sound crazy but what else can i do in order to increase/improve video quality and overall the time i spend editing a clip ? Cause spending 2-3hours only on one video seems like a :poop: job to me hahaha.

Reactions: yamrose

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been editing for a while now max editing experience is 2 years. And recently while doing the same as usual editing a new video i noticed that i spend max 2-3 hours editing that video (Making some cuts,colour grading,adding text,outro, making some small adjustments and done) The time i put in editing and the efford to edit seems to me very little . So i came here to ask for help.This may sound crazy but what else can i do in order to increase/improve video quality and overall the time i spend editing a clip ? Cause spending 2-3hours only on one video seems like a :poop: job to me hahaha.

First what editor are you using? This can help a lot :D haha

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I can't really speak too much to this as I'm still in the very early stages of learning to edit effectively, but never underestimate the power of ripple editing. Have your editing software of course keyboard shortcut set to ripple delete. I also have ripple trim to start, and ripple trim to end. I also have my slice tool set, and set my up and down arrows to quickly move to the start and end of a clip to make navigating larger clips easier.

Trim to the audio wave, and try to keep the edit in mind while recording, using claps to peak your audio waves so you have a visual indicator in the wave form for the best spots to trim.

I'm also considering getting a clapper for the start of my recordings so I have a visual indication of what the video file is from the preview frame in finder.

That said, 2-3 hours sounds to be pretty standard timeframe for editing a video.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Most editor want efficiency. Assuming you are the director of your own videos, you typically "shoot to edit" and that should make editing more efficient. But if you want to increase the time it takes so you feel like you are learning, simply change your editing style. You can move between evidentiary and verité styles and try a lot of different story-telling techniques (e.g. montage, time jumps, etc.)

But honestly, most editors want to edit as efficiently as possible and take as little time as possible. Most of an editor's work is prep so that the actual edit takes as little time as possible.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
If you want increase your editing time, read this book and do everything it says: "Documentary Editing" by Jacob Bricca.

Typical editors spend about a month for every 10 minutes of film you see on screen. First you have to have enough footage to edit. (I would argue most YouTuber don't have much coverage at all.) Much of an editor's time is spent organizing massive amounts of footage, making proper select reels. This way you can edit in any way you want. You can re-edit as many times as you want. This makes it possible to tell a non-chronological story.

If your select reels are organized by place, or time or whatever you come up with, editing becomes a plug-and-patch game to see what combinations work best.

amisclinic

Known Member
If you want increase your editing time, read this book and do everything it says: "Documentary Editing" by Jacob Bricca.

Typical editors spend about a month for every 10 minutes of film you see on screen. First you have to have enough footage to edit. (I would argue most YouTuber don't have much coverage at all.) Much of an editor's time is spent organizing massive amounts of footage, making proper select reels. This way you can edit in any way you want. You can re-edit as many times as you want. This makes it possible to tell a non-chronological story.

If your select reels are organized by place, or time or whatever you come up with, editing becomes a plug-and-patch game to see what combinations work best.
good one. thanks

OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I can't really speak too much to this as I'm still in the very early stages of learning to edit effectively, but never underestimate the power of ripple editing. Have your editing software of course keyboard shortcut set to ripple delete. I also have ripple trim to start, and ripple trim to end. I also have my slice tool set, and set my up and down arrows to quickly move to the start and end of a clip to make navigating larger clips easier.

Trim to the audio wave, and try to keep the edit in mind while recording, using claps to peak your audio waves so you have a visual indicator in the wave form for the best spots to trim.

I'm also considering getting a clapper for the start of my recordings so I have a visual indication of what the video file is from the preview frame in finder.

That said, 2-3 hours sounds to be pretty standard timeframe for editing a video.
Wow thank a lot! I had no idea that ripple editing was a thing at all! Searched the internet and saw what it was and it saves more time! Of course i use all the keyboard shortcuts (Select,cut tool, start,end,exc)but this tool will be helpful! thanks

Most editor want efficiency. Assuming you are the director of your own videos, you typically "shoot to edit" and that should make editing more efficient. But if you want to increase the time it takes so you feel like you are learning, simply change your editing style. You can move between evidentiary and verité styles and try a lot of different story-telling techniques (e.g. montage, time jumps, etc.)

But honestly, most editors want to edit as efficiently as possible and take as little time as possible. Most of an editor's work is prep so that the actual edit takes as little time as possible.
Yeah ive saw that in youtube tutorials , a lot of the editor or most of them are talking about efficiency ! With that being said at the end of the day editors dont just have 1 clip to edit like me but have 10 clips to compress them into 1! What i understood from all the replies I should really focus on recording more content having 4-5 good clips editing them down into 1 and uploading it! 1 High quality(content) video is better than 3 bad quality(content quality) video.

10 minutes per MONTH?!?!??! Didnt know that wow! Thanks for the book recommendation will look into it! Ready all the replies as i said above i got a better view what i should do. Gather more clips more content lets say 8-10 clips and then edit them all together into 1 that will be high quality video and my editing time will increase by a lot! Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
I think time spent editing doesn't always reflect how good the video editing is. What might take me 2 hours to do, someone with more experience could do in 1hr, or spend the same 2hrs editing and get twice as much action into the video. But, we have to start somewhere...

By the way @Scuplex, the next video you do export from Davinci, on the Deliver tab, set the resolution to "Custom", 2560 x 1440. You will get a warning popup when you click "Add to Render Queue", just ignore that and click "Add". The videos on YouTube will be far clearer as 1440p and above unlock their VP9 codec and higher bitrate.

Reactions: Scuplex
OP
OP
Scuplex

Scuplex

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I think time spent editing doesn't always reflect how good the video editing is. What might take me 2 hours to do, someone with more experience could do in 1hr, or spend the same 2hrs editing and get twice as much action into the video. But, we have to start somewhere...

By the way @Scuplex, the next video you do export from Davinci, on the Deliver tab, set the resolution to "Custom", 2560 x 1440. You will get a warning popup when you click "Add to Render Queue", just ignore that and click "Add". The videos on YouTube will be far clearer as 1440p and above unlock their VP9 codec and higher bitrate.
Well i know that youtube gives you the best resolution at 2k! But my internet isnt that good! It takes me 5 hours to upload 3.5GB imagine how long it would take for 2K but to be honest quality>quantity i prefer higher quality than quantity! Thanks

EvaWar

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
www.evawar.com
Subscriber Goal
Well i know that youtube gives you the best resolution at 2k! But my internet isnt that good! It takes me 5 hours to upload 3.5GB imagine how long it would take for 2K but to be honest quality>quantity i prefer higher quality than quantity! Thanks
Ouch! I'd try find somewhere else to do the upload from! A 10GB video takes me about 3 or 4min :no_mouth:

• Wow
Reactions: Scuplex

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
haha, I'm lucky enough to be able to get symmetrical fibre at home, 1Gbit upload and download speeds.
I miss my symmetrical gig-fibre. Mine is gig down, 350 up...

Although up is unrestricted (unlocked) so depending on my neighbor's usage, I can get up to around 650 up. Usually during the day pre-COVID.